Weave Support Thread for Transitioners: Can We Start One, Pretty Please?

pink gator

All--

I'm currently transitioning back to natural after 6 months of relaxing. I don't want to BC and I'm dealing with chemical and/or traction alopecia plus NG breakage, so I wisely chose to not manipulate it more than I have to.

I recently got a full head sew-in using a net and was looking for weave-related threads but didn't find too many without going though 1,200+ pages. Glamazon's and Rabia's posts have been very helpful, and I know there are a lot of LHCF-ers who are using weaves as a protective styling option and who would LOVE to explore and learn about healthy regimens for not only the hair underneath, but the extensions as well!

...So in my passive-aggressive Libra manner, I would like to know if it would be [appropriate] possible to set up a Weave [transitioners'] support thread? :poke: Pretty please?

Thanks in advance--

Pink Gator

Jessica Rabbit

I transitioned using weaves a lot, not all the time though. I also am using them to get thru an awkward growth stage/protective style now. I'd participate in this thread.

tada1

hey pink gator :wave:

im transitioning to texlaxed this year *hopefully* and yes, i am getting a weave sewn in tomorrow :woot: so im wicha :)

what is a weave with net though?

Platinum

This is a great idea! :yep: Does this include braids? If so, I'll join!:trampolin I'm at 16 1/2 weeks post and I'm hoping that after I complete 6 months of stretching, I'll decide whether to continue the transition to natural or texlax. I'm wearing Kinky Twists right now.

tada1

This is a great idea! :yep: Does this include braids? If so, I'll join!:trampolin I'm at 16 1/2 weeks post and I'm hoping that after I complete 6 months of stretching, I'll decide whether to continue the transition to natural or texlax. I'm wearing Kinky Twists right now.

OMG!!! 16 weeks? hoooowwww do you detangle?:spinning: seriously how do you do it? im only 6 weeks post, and i cant get my comb through my NG--under running water, with conditioner, with leave-ins..nothing seems to work

*sorry to hijack thread* :look:

Platinum

When I took out my last set of braids (13 weeks post), I was so discouraged! I detangled with my fingers, then I used the coconut juice and lime mix to soften my NG. It held up for a few days, long enough for me to get my Kinky Twists. I have a thread called "I Need Some Encouragement". I'll try to bump it for you.

RegaLady

I Used to HATE weave, but I am in. I have a sew in. and I am wondering if I should go natural or just stretch 12 weeks. So this will be interesting. My take down and maybe next relaxer is June 20th.:grin:

sweetwhispers

I transitioned for 10 months,and BCed a few days ago the last few months i used weaves alot.
I'm going to use them till i get back to SL-APL, byt i'm not a constant wearer. A regular one though

BeautyPoint

I've been transitioning since November 07 with the use of sew-ins and have been wearing microbraids for about 2 weeks now.

I gained so much new-growth from wearing a sew-in until I washed my hair forgetting I would need a detangler (I haven't been natural since 2000) and my hair matted up while shampooing. I had to pull apart and cut some of my hair out. :wallbash: So does anyone know of a good detangling shampoo for natural hair?

sweetwhispers

mosaiksoul did you detangle thoroughly before washing?
Also washing hair in braids can help?
I'm not sure of a god detangling shampoo, i use CON or ACV, but a preepoo of oils or conditioners may help soften your NG allowing you to detangle before washing.

I also found airdrying in french braids/cornrow( they don't have to be small or neat) was best for me, it helped cut down on tangles, dryness and stretched my hair as well.

tada1

When I took out my last set of braids (13 weeks post), I was so discouraged! I detangled with my fingers, then I used the coconut juice and lime mix to soften my NG. It held up for a few days, long enough for me to get my Kinky Twists. I have a thread called "I Need Some Encouragement". I'll try to bump it for you.

:rolleyes: great idea! I have some coconut milk sitting in my pantry...yay! im so excited :lachen:. Thanks for sharing, Platinum. I will go look for the thread you referenced

BeautyPoint

I detangled before i washed but i don't think I detangled thoroughly. I didn't put any oils or anything on my hair to loosen it up but I will be sure to try that and washing with braids next time!

adf23

bump..........

I am alternating between a weave, half wig and phony pony at this point in my transition. I am currently about 12 months post.

tada1

Sorry I didn't answer your question, Platinum. Yep, im sure pink_gator wont mind including braid-wearers...jump right in girl :trampolin

bluediamond0829

I'm at 8 months of my transition and have been using full head weaves/wigs/and medium sized micros thru the process. When im not wearing weaves/wigs or medium sized micros im cowashing. Cowashing has made my transition alot easier.

loulou82

bump..........

I am alternating between a weave, half wig and phony pony at this point in my transition. I am currently about 12 months post.

I'm taking a similar route... I'm started off transitioning with a phony pony (for 9 months), then kinky twists (2 months), and now a sew-in (3 months- hopefully).

I plan to get KTs for July and August and then a sew in again. I'll use the phony pony to give my hair a 2 week break between installs. It's so much easier than dealing with my 2 textures at this point. Half new growth and half relaxed ends is not fun :ohwell:.

I'll hit 12 months in a few weeks.

Last edited:

Platinum

:rolleyes: great idea! I have some coconut milk sitting in my pantry...yay! im so excited :lachen:. Thanks for sharing, Platinum. I will go look for the thread you referenced

You can do a search for the "Coconut and Lime mix" thread. I used it as a pre-poo and it really helped. Also, Samantha Jones is an avid user, you can PM her and I'm sure she can help answer your questions about it. HTH!

freshlikemoi

This is awesome, I am getting a sewn-in tomorrow. With the crown and edges left out. I retained soo much growth the last time. I wore weaves for about 5 months, three different installments so like every 8 weeks or so. Whew! My hair grew. But if you check out my fotki, you can see wat happened to awllll lat!!!!!! :nono:

Anywho, I would definitely participate in this thread. Although, I am not transitioning, I believe stretching for long periods of time is very beneficial.

ResultsMayVary

I never knew this topic was here :grin::grin::grin:

Well I am about 6 months post and I have in this partial sew in ...

I co wash every other day because this is thick wet and wavy hair so it really does no harm. I blend my hair in the front by simply twisting my hair in two sections at night and misting it with a homemade spray ... but I'm becoming tired on it ..

Question .... has anyone ever had really good growth with weaves ??:ohwell:

Ediese

Great thread OP! I'm transitioning with weaves. I haven't relaxed in 2 years, but haven't gotten rid of my relaxed ends yet. I thought I'd start trimming when I get to BSL, but I change my mind. Since I'll be so close to WL, I think I'll start trimming then.

I used weaves to get to where I am from neck/chin length last year. I think it's a great protective style when done correctly. I thought it was a little interesting when I read threads from other ladies that had such terrible things to say about it. For me, once it's installed correctly and taken care of, you'll be able to retain a lot of length.:yep: I doubt that I would be this close to WL without it.

kriolagirl

Yay for this thread! I've been transitioning for about 14 months with the help of weaves, phony-ponys, wigs, half-wigs, you name it lol (check my avi for the latest one). But sew-ins are my favorite and were so even when I was relaxing. I've never had a bad experience with them...just always keep an eye on your edges and don't go over 2-2 1/2 months and you should be good. I've actually had the most breakage during this process when I wasn't wearing weaves early on and was trying to fight the two textures (i also didn't know about lhcf).

Ediese

I never knew this topic was here :grin::grin::grin:

Well I am about 6 months post and I have in this partial sew in ...

I co wash every other day because this is thick wet and wavy hair so it really does no harm. I blend my hair in the front by simply twisting my hair in two sections at night and misting it with a homemade spray ... but I'm becoming tired on it ..

Question .... has anyone ever had really good growth with weaves ??:ohwell:

Your sew-in is really natural looking.

I just wanted to comment that I dont' think weaves give you good growth. They're less of a growth aid, and more of a protective style that help you retain ALL the length that you do receive and that's important. Usually people suffer breakage and lose inches when they're trying to grow out their hair.

If you check my fotki, you'll see that I went from neck/chin length last year to currently 2" from BSL. I'm planning to keep it weaved up until WL next year. I've seen a few people (Reniece, French Gem, and Esoterica) retain alot of growth by wearing sew-ins.

Last edited:

pink gator

Wow!

Since I got no replies back in March, I just rocked my sew-in until yesterday (six months), and I thought it ended up on page 704 or somthing like that! LOL!

I've been wearing full weaves with the sides out and a side part with an inch of my hair out for blending. I'd also have my stylist alternate parts/leave out hair every install.

However to my chagrin, I discovered that the hair that was left out was CONSIDERABLY shorter than the hair that was braided up. I was about to get a Bahia-style bob come this Tuesday with a Phytorelaxer (one of the contestants from that "She's Got The Look" show that just finished up). I was using an flat iron to touch up my edges--with a heat protectant, mind y'all, but it didn't work against breakage.

So...in my quest to have a natural-looking weave (no one knew it was one unless I told them), I ruined my sides...

I'm quite sure my new stylist will work wonders, though.

pink gator

I gained so much new-growth from wearing a sew-in until I washed my hair forgetting I would need a detangler (I haven't been natural since 2000) and my hair matted up while shampooing. I had to pull apart and cut some of my hair out. :wallbash: So does anyone know of a good detangling shampoo for natural hair?

Yesterday, for the FIRST TIME, I've successfully removed my weave without undue drama and tangles!:grin:

My hair was already damp from the gym, so I used my fingernails to undo the cornrows.

After each row was undone, I ran my fingers through my loosened hair and caught all the shed hairs with my fingers. I had a lot of NG, too, so I had to run my fingers through two or three times untill all the shed hair was gone.

I then mixed equal parts of coconut oil and cheap condish and slathered it on my hair. I then carefully combed it through with a rattail comb in small sections. I caught some more shed hairs.

After a half-hour, I used KeraCare Hydrating Detangling Poo. I then followed up with the Aphogee 2-Minute reconstructor. Rinsed that out and DC'd with Humecto, followed with Silicon Mix Leave-In cuz it has silk in it and went from there.

cmw45

Yesterday, for the FIRST TIME, I've successfully removed my weave without undue drama and tangles!:grin:

My hair was already damp from the gym, so I used my fingernails to undo the cornrows.

After each row was undone, I ran my fingers through my loosened hair and caught all the shed hairs with my fingers. I had a lot of NG, too, so I had to run my fingers through two or three times untill all the shed hair was gone.

I then mixed equal parts of coconut oil and cheap condish and slathered it on my hair. I then carefully combed it through with a rattail comb in small sections. I caught some more shed hairs.

After a half-hour, I used KeraCare Hydrating Detangling Poo. I then followed up with the Aphogee 2-Minute reconstructor. Rinsed that out and DC'd with Humecto, followed with Silicon Mix Leave-In cuz it has silk in it and went from there.

That scared me a we bit. I am sure you know what you are doing though. Have you considered getting a denman? They are great for getting out shed hair?

I just got my first install last Sunday and I love it. It looks so much like my natural hair. I plan to keep this in for five weeks...if all turns out well I plan to become a serial weavist until I leave undergrad.