Weaves and Hair Loss Question...

Nazaneen

I'm dreading dealing with my hair again once the humidity and heat return. I am very tempted to get a weave but also afraid of hair loss from traction...
I would want the entire front/temples and a bit further back area to be left out but I'm still afraid of losing hair from wherever the braids are especially on top and underneath on the sides.

Is there any sure way around the risk of thinning? Also. how long is ideal to leave it in? Could I get away with 2 months?
I know there are many women who wear weaves and do not suffer from hair loss so it is possible but is it very likely for one to develop hair loss?

Also my hair is pretty long, is that something that would cause a weave to be bulky ? I want as natural a look as possible.

Any info and tips are welcomed. Thanks!

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Usually people lose hair around the edges. Since you're leaving your edges out, I'm sure you will be fine.

I have seen my cousins super thick and long type 4 MBL get braided up flat under a weave, so as log as you find someone who knows what they're doing, it'll be fine.

Have fun! I love my weaves, at least right now. I have no time for my real hair right now and weaves allow me to do lots of damaging hairstyles I wouldn't do on my own head lol

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
And I agree with 2 months. Despite my best efforts and even at the salon, I never feel my scalp gets proper cleansing, so I can't go longer than that.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

CaraWalker

the only hair loss i ever suffered from weaves was flat ironing my leave out too much. ive never had hair loss from braids.

once my hair started getting longer than the typical length that goes under a weave, my stylist had to make the braids smaller (a little thinner than the average pencil) and knitted through with thread to keep it from matting.

Adiatasha

I always braid up my edges and didn't suffer hair loss

Like the poster above I only suffer hair loss when I flat iron my leave out too much.

But do what is right for YOU

Nazaneen

I'm not worried about breakage of the area left out :lol:, I can deal with that, it'll surely grow back.
But I mean hair being ripped from the root is what concerns me.
I think I may try it.
Years ago I wore sewn in tracks but all the hair in between an on top was left out so it was far from a full weave. I'm afraid I wouldnt be comfortable in a "full partial" even lol. I'm just so stuck on losing hair.

Adiatasha

I'm not worried about breakage of the area left out :lol:, I can deal with that, it'll surely grow back. But I mean hair being ripped from the root is what concerns me. I think I may try it. Years ago I wore sewn in tracks but all the hair in between an on top was left out so it was far from a full weave. I'm afraid I wouldnt be comfortable in a "full partial" even lol. I'm just so stuck on losing hair.

That will happen if your stylist braids the base too tight or sews too tight.

You will have to be the judge of that

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I'm not worried about breakage of the area left out :lol:, I can deal with that, it'll surely grow back.
But I mean hair being ripped from the root is what concerns me.
I think I may try it.
Years ago I wore sewn in tracks but all the hair in between an on top was left out so it was far from a full weave. I'm afraid I wouldnt be comfortable in a "full partial" even lol. I'm just so stuck on losing hair.

For me, the hair loss was over a long period of wearing a weave. If your hair is properly braided for the sew in, and you only plan to wear for a short period of time (over summer), you shouldn't have any problems.

I would suggest avoiding the use of ANY synthetic hair (sometimes used in the braids to help the braids last) as it can dread to your hair over time.

As far as making it look natural, since you are in NYC, go to Lugos (early morning) and have them match the weave hair to your hair by color and texture. Your stylist should be able to remove the bulk to make it look as natural as possible.