Weekly Heat Users

gemruby41

Are there any weekly users on this forum? Do you blow dry, flat iron, or do both once a week after washing your hair?

Please share some tips on how you keep your hair healthy using heat. How do you balance moisture and protein?

Aggie

I don't heat style my hair now but considering it. I certainly will not be heat styling weekly but I came it just in case there are others on the forum who do it successfully. I will also need all the help I can get when I decide to start heat styling my hair.

I certainly hope to get some help in here.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I use heat weekly. I usually wash and dc, but sometimes I just wash and condition in the shower. I use heat protectant and I’m very patient when I detangle. I wash in sections. I pretty much do everything in sections. After I towel dry my hair a bit I work on one braided section at a time.

I detangle, add Chi silk infusion and blow dry. Then I braid it back and move to the next. I use as few as 8, but no more than 12 sections. If I’m tired after that I just go to bed and iron in the morning. If I have a date or something I get right to the straightening part. I never (very rarely less than 1%) wear my hair in its natural state. I’ve been natural going on 9 years in August. I haven’t rocked a wash n go since my twa days.

Aggie

I use heat weekly. I usually wash and dc, but sometimes I just wash and condition in the shower. I use heat protectant and I’m very patient when I detangle. I wash in sections. I pretty much do everything in sections. After I towel dry my hair a bit I work on one braided section at a time.

I detangle, add Chi silk infusion and blow dry. Then I braid it back and move to the next. I use as few as 8, but no more than 12 sections. If I’m tired after that I just go to bed and iron in the morning. If I have a date or something I get right to the straightening part. I never (very rarely less than 1%) wear my hair in its natural state. I’ve been natural going on 9 years in August. I haven’t rocked a wash n go since my twa days.
Thanks for sharing @Prettymetty.

ajoke

Thanks for sharing. Could you please share some more information on the following if you don’t mind?

1. how do you deal with reversion ?
2. how do you prevent heat damage?
3. what’s your hair type?

thanks

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Thanks for sharing. Could you please share some more information on the following if you don’t mind?

1. how do you deal with reversion ?
2. how do you prevent heat damage?
3. what’s your hair type?

thanks
I’m 4b. Once it starts reverting (day 4 or 5) I just bun. I work in a restaurant so I bun daily anyway.

I don’t use extreme heat or iron sections more than twice. I also use quality products. That makes a big difference. I actually wouldn’t mind a little heat damage/heat training. Since I wear my hair straight mostly.

gemruby41

I’m 4b. Once it starts reverting (day 4 or 5) I just bun. I work in a restaurant so I bun daily anyway.

I don’t use extreme heat or iron sections more than twice. I also use quality products. That makes a big difference. I actually wouldn’t mind a little heat damage/heat training. Since I wear my hair straight mostly.
I also believe that quality products and tools matter when using heat.

MilkChocolateOne

I have a similar routine. I wash, condition, blow dry and flat iron weekly when I am not wearing braids. I am bsl with long layers. The shortest layer is apl. I used to be mbl but I had to cut the remaining color damage out of my hair. I usually wear my hair straight from October to May and box braids from June to October.

Aggie

@Prettymetty

Which heat protectants do you use currently? The brand I used to use is no longer available.

Aggie

I am a huge fan of chi silk infusion. I also occasionally use Suave keratin infusion cream or the Kerastase thermiques

Thanks a mil. Okay this one I have (bolded) on hand so I'll try it out as a heat protectant. I thought it was just a leave-in so I never considered using it as a heat protectant.

I also have some Kenra heat protectants including the thermal spray that I just bought. The Kenra ones used to be the talk on the board quite a few years ago when I first joined the board.

GettingKinky

I diffuse my wash n go 1-2x a week. I’m impatient so I use the high heat setting.

Each time before I diffuse I shampoo, condition, and apply my gels. So far I haven’t noticed any damage to my curls, but I’ve only been diffusing regularly for 4 months now. I used to air dry.