Weekly Protein Treatments

For those of you who use a protein conditioner weekly, what conditioner do you use? Do you follow with a moisturizing poo? and what benefits have you noticed?

I am planning on changing my regimen to include conditioning with a light protein 2x a week, so far I'm considering AO GPB or keraphix- but I'm open for suggestions on other protein conditioners, also do you guys think it would be safe to use emergencee every other week?

Last edited:

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
Well I have recently been doing weekly protein treatments every week and hardcare protein treatments every 6 weeks. This is what my hair really needs to keep it from breaking off and lessen shedding.

I use Elasta QP Breakage Control Serum and put on a heating cap for about 20 mins and then rinse. After that I deep condition with Lekair Colestoral mixed with Olive Oil and put the heating cap on for a good hour. I don't shampoo my hair though. I hadn't thought about that.My hair feels strong and healthy afterward and I don't have that much breakage the whole week until the next treatment.:D

I have tried Nexxus Keraphix for one on my weekly protein treatments and didn't really like it. I don't see any problem with using Nexxus emergencee (I'm in :love: with this stuff) on your hair every other until you see a noticeable difference in your breakage...but make sure to deep condition at least twice before each protein treatment.

Last edited:
L

lkg4healthyhair

I always follow with moist cond.

I do weekly light protein treatments with Aubrey's GPB. Now I have used Keraphix for years but I am in love with GPB. I follow the directions for "deep conditioning" on the bottle. I put it in dry hair for 15 mins before shampoo. Recently I have added a little Keraphix on top then my shower cap.

After the 15 mins I rinse, shampoo and a moisturizing conditioner. Last night I used NTM DDC/Mask for 5 mins while I shower then rinse & detangle.

I haven't done an emergencee treatment in a while (since my shedding stopped) so I may do it every 6 weeks. If I use emergencee I follow with moist conditioner for 15 min under heat cap, with GPB--just 5-10 min in shower with shower cap.

Since I have been doing weekly protein with GPB I have not had one hair in my comb (when detangling in the shower) and not many when rolling. I would always have some type of shedding in the past.

I have the Elasta serum also, but have not tried it yet.

bajanplums1

I too have noticed less breakage with protein treatments. I love it bc I will play with mu ponytail and not one broken hair will be on my fingertips. I use 2 treatments:

* Nexxus Epitome: it is a light reconstructor that is collagen based and all botanicals (every other week)
http://www.nexxus.com/conditioners/epitome/

Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Propylene Glycol, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Aloe Barbadensis Extract, Buckthorn (Frangula Alnus) Extract, Burdock (Arctium Lappa) Extract, Calendula Officinalis Extract, Comfrey (Symphytum Officinale) Extract, Cranesbill (Geranium Maculatum) Extract, Nettle (Urtica Dioica) Extract, Elderflower (Sambucus Nigra) Extract, Sodium Perborate, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Niacin, Tocopherol, Pyridoxine Tripalmitate, Retinol, Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Gluconate, Potassium Gluconate, Ferrous Gluconate, Papain, Methylparaben, Fragrance (Parfum).

* Dudley's DRC-28: Simply amazing to me. It contains: biotin, amino acids, all the good stuff and unlike Aphogee, it does not harden, but it does run down your neck (every 3 weeks once the new growth is out)

After each I ALWAYS Deep Condition with a pure moisturizing conditioner. After trying many I use:
* Elasta QP DPR-11: It must be used with heat and is the ONLY conditioner that makes my new growth 90% straight.

Last edited:

Allandra

I only use a mild protein (Aubrey Organics GPB). I've used it weekly (without using a moisturizing conditioner afterwards) with no problems at all.

Ashee

IntelligenceisBeautiful said:
For those of you who use a protein conditioner weekly, what conditioner do you use? Do you follow with a moisturizing poo? and what benefits have you noticed?

I am planning on changing my regimen to include conditioning with a light protein 2x a week, so far I'm considering AO GPB or keraphix- but I'm open for suggestions on other protein conditioners, also do you guys think it would be safe to use emergencee every other week?
I use Emergencee & Elasta QP Breakage Control Every week! I love them both! I use them after I wash & then I use my Humetress Moisturizing/Revitalizing mix or NTM to give my a little more moisture! :grin:

Tami

Miss Bubblegum
I use Aubrey GPB followed by Paul Mitchell Super-charged moisturizing conditioner and it works great.. tons of slip and shine !

Ashee

kia said:
I think too much protein will CAUSE breakage, don't you think??
I think moisturizing will combat the dryness but you have to see what your hair is willing to put up with! :)

jasmin

I alternate with these light proteins and follow with a moisturizing treatment all the time

Aubrey GPB
Mane n Tail (I use as a light protein)
Nexxus Keraphix
Motions Silk Protein
Motions CPR
Dumb Blonde Reconstructor

I plan on trying the Elasta DPR and Breakage when I'm done with one or 2 of the others

I'll use a stronger protein like Emergencee and Sebastian Penetraitt Deep Conditioning if I'm shedding more than usual.

Jewell

I do my conditioning shampoo and follow with Nexxus Keraphix once a week. I follow with a moisturizing conditioner: Nexxus Humectress. I really like Organics by Africa's Best Hair Mayo, but it has mineral oil in it, so I think after I use it up this time, I won't buy anymore, and I'll find another light protein conditioner to alternate with the Keraphix.

azul11

I reread Supergirl's post about certain proteins too often can cause breakage for some people and I have defintely experienced that. Now I am going to follow the advice of those who use light proteins and have long hair and only use those. God bless you all.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I use Aubrey's GPB once a week. I shampoo twice a week. I follow GPB with a moisturizing leave in conditioner (NTM, The Cream, Redken's Moist Ends). On the second shampoo of the week I use a moisturizing conditioner and a protein leave in (Giovanni Direct, Mane & Tail, Ego Boost). This switch up has been working for me so far.

Angelicus

I co wash daily with MNT Original Conditioner (collagen is way at the bottom of the ingredients). I do a protein treatment of mayo or eggs (or both) once a week. All of my daily conditioners have a little bit of protein in it. I want to add that I never do a hardcore protein treatment (i.e., aphogee, anything with hydrolyzed keratin as the first three ingredients).

If you know your protein threshold, it won't be a problem to do light, weekly treatments.

miracle

Jewell said:
I do my conditioning shampoo and follow with Nexxus Keraphix once a week. I follow with a moisturizing conditioner: Nexxus Humectress. I really like Organics by Africa's Best Hair Mayo, but it has mineral oil in it, so I think after I use it up this time, I won't buy anymore, and I'll find another light protein conditioner to alternate with the Keraphix.

Africa's Best Organic's Cholesterol with Tea Tree Oil is a great alternative to their Hair Mayo. It has almost all of the same ingredients without mineral oil or petroleum. :up: Just be sure the jar doesn't say "New & Improved Formula" on it...the new formula has mineral oil as it's second ingredient.

Last edited: