Weird reaction from aphogee 2 step treatment

Neith

I did the 2 step treatment last night, then braided my hair up and went to bed.

Exactly what I did:

1) Shampooed with Neutrogena Triple Moisture Shampoo

2) Applied the aphogee treatment

3) Blowdried on medium until it got hard (about 20 mins total)

4) Rinsed for about 5 mins in warm water

5) Applied the balancing moisturizer for 5 mins, then rinsed that out

6) Deep conditioned with Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner (with a spoonful of jojoba oil in it) under my heating cap for 30 minutes. I sat around about 10 mins more without heat, then rinsed.

7) Sectioned hair and applied giovanni direct and jojoba oil, then detangled.

8) I braided my hair in about 8 braids and clipped them up (my usual bedtime style)

During this process there was no excess shedding or breakage. Everything seemed fine and my hair felt good.

When I woke up, I sprayed my hair with diluted leave - in (giovanni vitapro) and put about 10 drops of jojoba oil through it.

My hair is really soft. I noticed it after dc'ing. My hair is coarse and just naturally wiry, and it doesn't feel mushy, so I thought it was fine and I liked it.

but... duh duh duh *omnious music*

I shed quite a bit of hair this morning. I just detangled last night, so I dunno why so much hair came out. I would say it was like 35 hairs :ohwell: Long hairs, mostly with the bulb on them. My head WAS a little itchy last night after I put the treatment in, but I have extremely sensitive skin and didn't think much of it.

So instead of freaking out, I decided to see what my hair would do when it was dry. It stopped shedding and still feels soft. It's behaving like normal.

I dunno if I'm buggin, if it's the light in here or if I never paid much attention to my hair color, but it looks lighter in color and slightly reddish in some parts.

Overload of protein makes your hair hard, not soft, doesn't it?

It seems fine, but I dunno what's going to happen when I wet it tomorrow... what do you think is going on?

wheezy807

Your right protein overload makes your hair hard, like you described wiry. But you say things are fine now, right? I'm wondering about that giovanni direct leave in, does it contain protein? Because i'm thinking that you would need a moisturizing leave in (no protien) after a treatment like that. Maybe you should see what happens tomorrow. I dunno.

Neith

My hair was wiry before the treatment, now it's really soft :ohwell: That's so backwards.

The direct does have soybean protein in it, but it's always been moisturizing for me. I have a bottle of africa's best hair mayo, I'll try that tonight. Thanks for pointing that out to me :yep: