Welcome the newbie - lhcf helping get my hair back on track!

*KP*

Hi all,

I have been lurking for a while now and have finally decided to post.

I have shoulder hair length and my hair has been this length for quite a while now. It's never really grown mor than a few inches past shoulder length. My hair grows, the ends get raggedy, I cut them off, the cycle begins again. I got quite addicting to cutting and cut it to jaw length about 3 years ago. I'm back at shoulder length after another cut last week.

I just have to say how much all of you have inspired me, I thought it was a dream for a black girl to grow her hair past shoulder length!

The condition of my hair is generally quite good but recently my hair has been DRY DRY DRY:wallbash:. I get braids once or twice a year but I made the mistake of getting small twists this year and my hair has not thanked me for it. I have never seen it so dry before, it was breaking so badly. There was hair all over the bathroom every time I combed it and lets not even get started on washing it!! I've spent the last 2 months doing really deep moisturizing conditioners weekly to get it back to the way it was and I'm very nearly there. Since my last relaxer nearly 2 weeks ago, I'm only losing a couple of strands each time I comb it but the hair doesn't feel as soft as it used to.

What I'm going to try now is to continue to DC and then stretch out my relaxers. I'll be getting a full head weave next week to help with the stretching. I've also ordered Mizani Thermasmooth after reading good reviews here

It'll be my first weave so does anyone have any tips for taking care of the weave and my hair underneath it?

Thanks,
K

mscocoface

Welcome aboard,

Make sure the weave thread is not placed too tightly on your braids. If it is PLEASE let the stylist know so that she can adjust the tension.

I use to do weaves a while ago, but I am sure there are some experts on line who will be able to give you more tips.

I think you made need to invest in some type of moisture spray to get to your roots. Let's see what our resident experts recommend for moisture and hair weaves.

wheezy807

Hi all,

I have been lurking for a while now and have finally decided to post.

I have shoulder hair length and my hair has been this length for quite a while now. It's never really grown mor than a few inches past shoulder length. My hair grows, the ends get raggedy, I cut them off, the cycle begins again. I got quite addicting to cutting and cut it to jaw length about 3 years ago. I'm back at shoulder length after another cut last week.

I just have to say how much all of you have inspired me, I thought it was a dream for a black girl to grow her hair past shoulder length!

The condition of my hair is generally quite good but recently my hair has been DRY DRY DRY:wallbash:. I get braids once or twice a year but I made the mistake of getting small twists this year and my hair has not thanked me for it. I have never seen it so dry before, it was breaking so badly. There was hair all over the bathroom every time I combed it and lets not even get started on washing it!! I've spent the last 2 months doing really deep moisturizing conditioners weekly to get it back to the way it was and I'm very nearly there. Since my last relaxer nearly 2 weeks ago, I'm only losing a couple of strands each time I comb it but the hair doesn't feel as soft as it used to.

What I'm going to try now is to continue to DC and then stretch out my relaxers. I'll be getting a full head weave next week to help with the stretching. I've also ordered Mizani Thermasmooth after reading good reviews here

It'll be my first weave so does anyone have any tips for taking care of the weave and my hair underneath it?

Thanks,
K

Hello and welcome to LHCF. I've never wore a weave before but i can imagine you would want to keep the hair underneath moisturized at all times. You reminded me of myself as i read about you being stuck at shoulder length, i soooo can relate!!

Lady Esquire

Welcome! :wave:

Shoulder length is one of the hardest humps to get over because the hair is grazing over clothes, and snagging on material. Protect your ends and treat them with extra TLC, until you pass this stage.

As for the weave, make sure it is not too tight. Make sure you take care of your own hair underneath with regular deep conditioning and protein treatments. Try not to go too long with your hair under the weave. Pay close attention to your edges, which is most susceptible to thinning, when wearing weaves.

I wish you well on your journey. Keep us posted.

gymfreak336

Welcome!

I don't have any weave tips either but like others have said, keep those ends moisturized. I am stuck at shoulder length right now too. Remember to deep condition every week. Once your hair health improves, the dryness issue will get better.

Energee

Welcome to the board! I'm a newbie too of sorts...lol. I lurked here and joined nearly a year ago but never posted or visited the site that often until recently (last couple of months). I love the board and happy that I started posting!

I used a weave to grow my hair out from above ear length to full shoulder length in a year so I can give you some tips. There are photos of me in my Fotki where I am 'with weave'...lol.
Some ladies have already given you good advice..keep YOUR hair moisturized very well (a spray moisturizer is best) and also clean your hair underneath as best as you can. Keep your scalp in good condition by using qtips to apply witch hazel between the cornrows and jojoba oil. Don't leave the weave in for more than 5-6 weeks before taking it down to wash and deep condition your own hair. Don't allow your stylist to braid your hair too tightly. I kept all of my edges and horseshoe area out for the first few months until it grew too long...when it grew and was stronger my stylist then braided it up but it was never too tight..I also kept my horseshoe out for the entire time. She knew what my goal was and was gentle with my hair.
Also, I will say that if you ever see any breakage or damage when your weave is taken down...don't put it back in! I told my stylist up front that if we saw any damage or excessive breakage or that I was taking it out. I inspected my hair each time she took it down...lol. I was fanatical about it.
Anyway, if you have any questions feel free to pm me...

*KP*

Thanks for all of your warm welcomes :)

I will let you know how the weave turns out.

I bought one of those skin closures, not really sure how it works though. I hope I haven't bought the wrong type!

Last edited: