Well, Jindal to Sign Anti-Abortion Bill

JaneBond007

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2014/06/bobby_jindal_bill_closing_abor.html
Bobby Jindal to sign anti-abortion bill Thursday likely to close clinics in Baton Rouge, New Orleans

By Emily Lane, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on June 12, 2014 at 9:25 AM, updated June 12, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Gov. Bobby Jindal has officially announced plans to sign legislation that is all but guaranteed to close the only abortion clinics in New Orleans and Baton Rouge.

His office announced Thursday the bill signing ceremony for "pro-life legislation" is planned for 1:10 p.m. at the First Baptist Church in West Monroe.

He's expected to sign at least two bills sponsored by lawmakers from Monroe and West Monroe.

House Bill 388, sponsored by Rep. Katrina Jackson, D-Monroe, proposes a new law adding requirements of abortion doctors that clinic administrators say will force them out of business because of the unlikeliness they will be able to comply.

House Bill 305, sponsored by Rep. Frank Hoffman, R-West Monroe, would prohibit abortion providers or their affiliates to instruct or distribute information on health related issues, such as sex eduction, at public or charter schools.

A lawyer for the clinics has indicated administrators will likely file a joint suit challenging the new law. It's unclear if the court would grant the clinics an injunction, allowing them to keep their doors open, while litigation pends.

Jackson's legislation is modeled off of a Texas law placing further restrictions on abortion doctors by requiring them to obtain hospital admittance privileges from a facility within a 30 miles radius.

Difficulty obtaining the privileges has contributed, since the law's adoption, to the closure of at least 19 of the 33 abortion clinics in Texas. A similar law adopted in Mississippi threatens the state's only clinic in Jackson. The Jackson clinic was granted an injuction to stay open while litigation pends, while the Texas clinics were not.

The Delta Clinic in Baton Rouge and Women's Healthcare Center in New Orleans are both run by the same administrator, Sylvia Cochran, who has said the clinic doctors are trying to obtain privileges but will likely be unable to comply with the law. Abortion rights advocates have said the Metairie clinic will also likely be shuttered. The only abortion clinic doctor in Louisiana who currently has admittance privileges is one of the two at a clinic in Shreveport. That doctor has had hospital privileges for years in connection with a private practice. The fifth clinic is located in Bossier City -- it's unclear if that clinic will be able to comply.

For doctors who do have admittance privileges, it's possible they could be revoked, as has been in the case in Texas. Just this week, a Texas hospital agreed to settle a lawsuit filed by abortion doctors who had sued over having their privileges pulled. They settlement ordered the privileges be reinstated. The hospital revoked the privileges, according to the Texas Tribune, shortly after it was targeted by abortion protestors.

NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune will host a live chat at 11 a.m. Friday about the bill that's expected to close abortion clinics. Participating will be Ellie Schilling, a lawyer representing the clinic interests, and Mike Johnson, a lawyer representing anti-abortion group Louisiana Right to Life.

Last edited:

Galadriel

Good!

I commented on this in OT already, but I'd also like to see increased support to pregnancy centers, adoption agencies, and organizations working with mothers and children.

Ultimately, I would love to see more men and women really approach sex with the gravity and dignity it deserves. This is the act between a man and woman DESIGNED to bring children in the world, yet we act surprised when the natural result of sex occurs (pregnancy) and want to kill unborn children? :nono:

And I think the whole "Well, how are we going to learn about our bodies?" is over-hyped. As a person who went through public school sex ed, and as a teacher who had to sit through sex ed classes by Planned Parenthood, they did NOT teach girls and boys about their bodies. All they did was teach that when sexual intercourse occurs there's the possibility of pregnancy so you should use condoms, bc, etc. They talked about STD's and AIDS and reiterated using "protection" and then they spent the rest of the time answering questions about sex positions.

When DH and I educate our kids about this topic, we will teach them:

1. You are valuable because you are a human being, with an immortal soul, and a child of God.

2. Your bodily integrity is inherently good, deserves respect, and should never be abused or violated by anyone. Sexual harassment and/or rape is a grave evil and a terrible violation of a person's dignity and safety, and is never permissible.

3. You are more than just your body, and your self-worth is based on who you are as a person, your talents, your compassion and good will.

4. Sex is designed to bring children into the world, and belongs in a loving, committed marriage that is open to life.

5. Sexual reproduction, fertility, cycles, etc. from a biological standpoint

6. Additionally for my sons (because we have too many deadbeat dads, "players" and jerks in this society) --> value marriage, master self-discipline or self-control, treat all women with the innate dignity and respect they deserve, be ready to serve, aid, and defend any woman in need of it.

7. The greatest way to teach and fortify all this is to LIVE this ourselves as husband and wife, and as parents. Will it be easy? No. Are we perfect? No. But we will be committed to God, each other, and our children. This is why marriage exists.

JaneBond007

What's crazy to me is that these places often want to run without admittance privileges to hospitals. I'm wondering if people realize that their lives are that much in danger pending an emergency during an abortion. I had no idea a doctor had to have admittance privileges. I just assumed that they all were part of several hospital systems. It would make sense and I do see that they are using this legal loophole to eventually close down clinics. But I'm also pro-life.

ETA: I posted about the time you posted. Reading back. Amein to that! What about choices one makes? And I know, people want the ability to have sex without consequences. I get that, but it's not life here on earth. There are always consequences, whether hormonal, spiritual, physical...you name it, it's there, if one senses them or not because at the end of life (even during, people don't often realize). I am going to give my daughter JPII's Theology of the Body. My son has already read it. Then I'm going to give it to the last two chigguns when its time.

We are more than our genitalia. We can and are encouraged to protect ourselves and practice abstinence, beginning in the mind, extending to the physical. We are the higher animal. It's normal to have sexual feelings but there is a time and place and for us catholics, that is within a loving marriage. Even for those who are practicing prostitution and unseeming behavior of adultery and fornication, our church is so loving, it even protects those for the sake of others not participating in such and who can be directly and tragically affected by ramifications such as hepatitis and HIV/AIDS, in that situation, encouraging the use of condoms which normally contradict church teaching on family. :nono:

I wonder how many Black christians and faithful in G-d will remain, give it 10 years. With the rise in atheists and relative moralists...I just don't know.

Last edited:

JaneBond007

I'm not sure about Metairie, but heavily minority Shreveport will not be affected, I see. People do not realize that abortion clinics are rarely closed where they serve people of color. They are closed where a majority of Whites are seeking treatment, pushing them to go to the hood to proceed and get theirs at those locations. For upwardly mobile Whites of substance, the girls hardly ever got them where they could be recognized in the first place. The industry will still be thriving where it was meant to thrive - in the hood.

Galadriel

I'm not sure about Metairie, but heavily minority Shreveport will not be affected, I see. People do not realize that abortion clinics are rarely closed where they serve people of color. They are closed where a majority of Whites are seeking treatment, pushing them to go to the hood to proceed and get theirs at those locations. For upwardly mobile Whites of substance, the girls hardly ever got them where they could be recognized in the first place. The industry will still be thriving where it was meant to thrive - in the hood.

Just think of Kermit Gosnell and all those abortion clinic-runners like him who profited off of women and caused injury and death. These clinics are against being exposed for what they are--death mills. And nothing about a death mill can ever be healthy or pro-health.

And you're right, Planned Parenthood was a child of the Eugenics movement meant to contracept and abort people of color, the disabled, the "undesirables."

BEAUTYU2U

Galadriel - You summed it all up for me.

Anti-abortion shouldn't mean less reproductive education, prevention care, or support (i.e. adoption, childcare, etc.) for families. I don't know why it has to be either or in this country. I'm pro-life and pro-quality life. :yep:

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
What's crazy to me is that these places often want to run without admittance privileges to hospitals. I'm wondering if people realize that their lives are that much in danger pending an emergency during an abortion. I had no idea a doctor had to have admittance privileges. I just assumed that they all were part of several hospital systems. It would make sense and I do see that they are using this legal loophole to eventually close down clinics. But I'm also pro-life.

ETA: I posted about the time you posted. Reading back. Amein to that! What about choices one makes? And I know, people want the ability to have sex without consequences. I get that, but it's not life here on earth. There are always consequences, whether hormonal, spiritual, physical...you name it, it's there, if one senses them or not because at the end of life (even during, people don't often realize). I am going to give my daughter JPII's Theology of the Body. My son has already read it. Then I'm going to give it to the last two chigguns when its time.

We are more than our genitalia. We can and are encouraged to protect ourselves and practice abstinence, beginning in the mind, extending to the physical. We are the higher animal. It's normal to have sexual feelings but there is a time and place

and for us catholics, that is within a loving marriage.

Even for those who are practicing prostitution and unseeming behavior of adultery and fornication, our church is so loving, it even protects those for the sake of others not participating in such and who can be directly and tragically affected by ramifications such as hepatitis and HIV/AIDS, in that situation, encouraging the use of condoms which normally contradict church teaching on family. :nono:

I wonder how many Black christians and faithful in G-d will remain, give it 10 years. With the rise in atheists and relative moralists...I just don't know.

Heyyyyy "Yo'ette" ... dont' leave 'us' out :lol: those who love Catholics.

Geeee, JB...It's Christians of all denominations and non denominations who stand upon abstinence until Marriage. Even Muslims, Jews and Eastern Indians and Native Americans stand for abstinence until Marriage.

Behave yourself...

Love you anyway :yep:

:bighug:

JaneBond007

Well, I didn't mean it that way. This article I sent in where the writer rather condemned Pope Francis because he's confirming catholic marriage and children had been in my mind. In catholic marriage, you are supposed to be open to children, hence, no birth control. That is what distinguishes catholic marriage from most other christian denominations who allow for birth control. I'm sorry and didn't mean to imply that other denominations don't hold marriage and unborn children sacred - they do.

Shimmie

Staff member
Good!

I commented on this in OT already, but I'd also like to see increased support to pregnancy centers, adoption agencies, and organizations working with mothers and children.

Ultimately, I would love to see more men and women really approach sex with the gravity and dignity it deserves.

This is the act between a man and woman DESIGNED to bring children in the world, yet we act surprised when the natural result of sex occurs (pregnancy) and want to kill unborn children? :nono:

And I think the whole "Well, how are we going to learn about our bodies?" is over-hyped. As a person who went through public school sex ed, and as a teacher who had to sit through sex ed classes by Planned Parenthood, they did NOT teach girls and boys about their bodies. All they did was teach that when sexual intercourse occurs there's the possibility of pregnancy so you should use condoms, bc, etc. They talked about STD's and AIDS and reiterated using "protection" and then they spent the rest of the time answering questions about sex positions.

When DH and I educate our kids about this topic, we will teach them:

1. You are valuable because you are a human being, with an immortal soul, and a child of God.

2. Your bodily integrity is inherently good, deserves respect, and should never be abused or violated by anyone. Sexual harassment and/or rape is a grave evil and a terrible violation of a person's dignity and safety, and is never permissible.

3. You are more than just your body, and your self-worth is based on who you are as a person, your talents, your compassion and good will.

4. Sex is designed to bring children into the world, and belongs in a loving, committed marriage that is open to life.

5. Sexual reproduction, fertility, cycles, etc. from a biological standpoint

6. Additionally for my sons (because we have too many deadbeat dads, "players" and jerks in this society) --> value marriage, master self-discipline or self-control, treat all women with the innate dignity and respect they deserve, be ready to serve, aid, and defend any woman in need of it.

7. The greatest way to teach and fortify all this is to LIVE this ourselves as husband and wife, and as parents. Will it be easy? No. Are we perfect? No. But we will be committed to God, each other, and our children. This is why marriage exists.

Galadriel, I'm just honored to even read your post. I should have bolded the entire message you posted.

May I please just say "Thank you, Mrs. Galadriel". You ain't neva' eva' lied.

God bless you and I say and mean this far beyond words. You share so much wisdom. Folks are 'missing it' when they speak negative against the Catholic faith. They are missing out on the beauty and wisdom and the love for God that pours from your hearts.

I sit and I :bookworm: and I always learn from your posts. This includes JB and my sweetheart, Lady Belle (Belle Du Jour). I'll never forget how 'Belle' broke it down regarding Marriage being ordained by God for a man and woman. Ya'll don't play. I love my Catholic sisters. :love3:

Galadriel

@Galadriel, I'm just honored to even read your post. I should have bolded the entire message you posted.

May I please just say "Thank you, Mrs. Galadriel". You ain't neva' eva' lied.

God bless you and I say and mean this far beyond words. You share so much wisdom. Folks are 'missing it' when they speak negative against the Catholic faith. They are missing out on the beauty and wisdom and the love for God that pours from your hearts.

I sit and I :bookworm: and I always learn from your posts. This includes JB and my sweetheart, Lady Belle (@Belle Du Jour). I'll never forget how 'Belle' broke it down regarding Marriage being ordained by God for a man and woman. Ya'll don't play. I love my Catholic sisters. :love3:

Aww, thanks Shimmie :grouphug:

You and the other ladies here in CF are amazing and inspirational, both my Catholic sisters and Protestant. Each of us has our gifts, and I guess mine is to be a big-mouthed debater :lol:.

Shimmie

Staff member
Aww, thanks @Shimmie :grouphug:

You and the other ladies here in CF are amazing and inspirational, both my Catholic sisters and Protestant. Each of us has our gifts, and I guess mine is to be a big-mouthed debater :lol:.

Na uhhh, :nono: at the bolded, I stake my claim on that one. I'm the uno debater and slamming gavel... Case Closed / Court's Ajourned! :lol:

Belle Du Jour

Although I just can't see myself becoming a card-carrying member of the GOP :look: (too much other foolishness in the party SMH) I admire the action that they take on these important issues :yep:

JaneBond007

We teach our kids and were ourselves taught to think and not use physical force, to reason away selfishness. We were taught and teach to control our tongues, to be diligent and work hard to avoid sloth. We are taught and teach to be good citizens and to respect the human rights of others. We want to be in control of our lives and make the best decisions possible for our futures. But evidently, aside from anger, the brash tongue, impatience and other vices, we can't control ourselves sexually. It's so strong, we should be allowed to be as the lower animals. But even they procreate to continue life. We get the opportunity to comprehend nature and to reason. But sex cannot be controlled to the extent that we do not ruin our lives and the lives of those our bodies create. We must be sex zombies, unable to reason because sexual irresponsibility is to the high heavens. Why would G-d give us the faculty of reason if we weren't capable of harnessing its power? Could we actually believe a lie - that we are not sacred beings? We should rather believe those who wish our demise as a race over the very One who created us and wishes us to live abundantly? We say His believers are foolish. In my culture, the wise man is one who recognizes another human being.

Shimmie

Staff member
Well, I didn't mean it that way. This article I sent in where the writer rather condemned Pope Francis because he's confirming catholic marriage and children had been in my mind. In catholic marriage, you are supposed to be open to children, hence, no birth control. That is what distinguishes catholic marriage from most other christian denominations who allow for birth control.

I'm sorry and didn't mean to imply that other denominations don't hold marriage and unborn children sacred - they do .

Hey Love :love2: I know you didn't. :yep: I put it 'out there' so that others would not misunderstand.

JaneBond007

Hey Love :love2: I know you didn't. :yep: I put it 'out there' so that others would not misunderstand.

Whew! I was just coming in because my heart hurt that I had offended...I'm glad you responded. What i truly mean is that catholic marriage is open to children. You can still get married and not have children (older people marrying, younger with inability to conceive etc.) but you are supposed to accept all aspects of the sacrament (no birth control except natural family planning etc. and only bc's if they are medical treatment). We don't/didn't in the traditional catholic marriage refuse kids. Now, there is evidence that people are cheating. Well, look at divorce! You'd think that people would try and figure out some of the reasons. G-d is not mocked, ever. There are consequences. In times before us, people would not marry if they could not conceive a child and these marriages of convenience just didn't exist unless they were past child-bearing age and had children still to raise. There truly is evil in the world. Blessed Mother, pray for all people to protect human life.

LadyRaider

Oops... wrong thread. Let me just edit to say: I pray for all of you who have had abortions. I pray that you will find peace and comfort. I'm sorry that you went through such a terrible time in your life. I support your efforts to find relevance and purpose out of a bad experience.

Last edited:

Galadriel

So the arguments to justify abortion just get more and more bizarre.

So men are rapists by default, eh?

If you're a mom or expectant mom, for some strange reason you are not a free woman and can't work or go to school?

Really?

Shimmie

Staff member
Although I just can't see myself becoming a card-carrying member of the GOP :look: (too much other foolishness in the party SMH) I admire the action that they take on these important issues :yep:

It's a sin and a shame that none of the 'parties' have the guts to honor God and have 'aborted' the true meaning civil rights. :nono:

Shimmie

Staff member
So the arguments to justify abortion just get more and more bizarre.

So men are rapists by default, eh?

If you're a mom or expectant mom, for some strange reason you are not a free woman and can't work or go to school?

Really?

I wish they'd just stop with all of the nonsense and debris of excuses. Just call it what it is 'murder' and be done with it. Their arguments are just toilet matter...seriously.