Went Undercover....Argued with Dominican Stylist (Long)

Tee

This is really insteresting. I kinda sorta had the same experience when I went to one. First of all, the ladies here said I was over charged. Up north (NY etc.) the ladies say they pay 15 and 20 bucks. I paid 45.00 or so. (blowout only)

I got the same story about needing a relaxer more often and she wanted to cut my hair and charge me an extra 20.00 to cut it. I didnt know her like that and I was not going to let her in my hair with scissors.

I too was told if I came more often I would really have hair all down my back. My hair was already at a good length. (She did my hair in the May album in my fotki. I had on a white top)

My hair looked and felt really nice. It was to dry for my liking and she said in a nutshell "that is the problem. black women think we need to add all this extra stuff to our hair and we don't." I wasn't trying to hear that. I told her put some of that Sarlem21 or something on my hair. She did but she didnt want too. I purchased some Sarlem anyway (with the hair mask) so she could have used mine if she felt the urge.

My post is getting to long. lol. To sum it up: They are fast. They dont overbook. She worked on my hair and mine only. (that really impressed me) I didnt sit up there all day. Two hours tops. I like the way they do business. I just didnt agree with everything she said.

luvlonghair

CoCoGirl821 said:
I want to try a dominican salon one day, but I should probably wait til my hair is longer and healthier. The usage of heat kinda scares me right now. PLUS there arent ANY dominican salons in Nashville.:mad: But I'm glad that your hair came out nice. TOO bad that lady tried to play you ALL the ay to the left!!!:confused:

:lachen: That's funny. But you don't have to wait until your hair gets longer or healthier to go. Go now if you wish, whether a dominican stylist or AA stylist, find a good reputable one, they can help you if needed.:)

Tee

crlsweetie912 said:
Is it called Nourishing concentrate?

:sekret: (The PJ in me wants to know before I buy the wrong thing!)

You know I have this right!! lol I dont know the real name right off the top of my head but in the product album. lol

:sekret: (PJ Powers ...activate!)

luvlonghair

Letitia said:
This is really insteresting. I kinda sorta had the same experience when I went to one. First of all, the ladies here said I was over charged. Up north (NY etc.) the ladies say they pay 15 and 20 bucks. I paid 45.00 or so. (blowout only)

I got the same story about needing a relaxer more often and she wanted to cut my hair and charge me an extra 20.00 to cut it. I didnt know her like that and I was not going to let her in my hair with scissors.

I too was told if I came more often I would really have hair all down my back. My hair was already at a good length. (She did my hair in the May album in my fotki. I had on a white top)

My hair looked and felt really nice. It was to dry for my liking and she said in a nutshell "that is the problem. black women think we need to add all this extra stuff to our hair and we don't." I wasn't trying to hear that. I told her put some of that Sarlem21 or something on my hair. She did but she didnt want too. I purchased some Sarlem anyway (with the hair mask) so she could have used mine if she felt the urge.

My post is getting to long. lol. To sum it up: They are fast. They dont overbook. She worked on my hair and mine only. (that really impressed me) I didnt sit up there all day. Two hours tops. I like the way they do business. I just didnt agree with everything she said.

Same here. They didn't use a leave-in and my hair looks a bit dry but has a llllloooooooooottt of body. I used my Asante oil and called it a day.

crlsweetie912

Letitia said:
You know I have this right!! lol I dont know the real name right off the top of my head but in the product album. lol

:sekret: (PJ Powers ...activate!)

Well shoot, are you using it? How does it work? Let a sista know!
PJ POWERS ACTIVATED!

Tee

luvlonghair said:
If I understand your question correctly. I've spoke about about LHCF to any of my clients. I do implement and inform my clients on things that I've learned here, just in case they couldn't make an appt. (low funds). I always educate my clients.

That is really important. Most stylist will not do this. They just come with magic potions in bowls and most times will not tell you what they are using. If asked, sometimes they seem annoyed. That is why I am so happy to have found LHCF.....they share the knowledge here.

Tee

crlsweetie912 said:
Well shoot, are you using it? How does it work? Let a sista know!
PJ POWERS ACTIVATED!

You know me. lol. I have not used it yet. I will use on my Sat. wash and let you know. I have so much I keep trying that it sometimes takes me a minute to get things.

Kimberly

luvlonghair said:
That's why I said that I wasn't just referring to Dominican stylists only at the end of my post. I also referenced the knowledge AA's need about our own hair care. The point that pissed me off the most was how she was referring to AA hairstylist as a "whole" that we don't know anything about hair. Before I became a stylist or even joined this forum, I knew a lot AA stylist who knows and practices healthy hair.

I hope you have a great experience at the Salon this weekend:) . I'm not knocking all Dominican Stylists, just the ones I went to yesterday. Just like I can't knock all AA stylists.

Ooh, I just remembered what I wanted to ask you....

The other AA women who were in the shop when you got there, what did their hair look like?

I just happened to luck up on the Dominican salon here that I'm going to tomorrow and I went inside to make sure that they could do my hair but there were not any other women in the shop besides the two stylists...I was hoping to get a peak at someone's head...:look:

luvlonghair

Kimberly said:
Ooh, I just remembered what I wanted to ask you....

The other AA women who were in the shop when you got there, what did their hair look like?

I just happened to luck up on the Dominican salon here that I'm going to tomorrow and I went inside to make sure that they could do my hair but there were not any other women in the shop besides the two stylists...I was hoping to get a peak at someone's head...:look:

That's a good question because I was trying to look at someone's hair also when I arrived at the salon:lol: :lol: . Unfortunately one was under the dryer and one was getting her hair rolled. When they both came from getting their hair styled (dryers were in another room away from the stylists), both their heads were wrapped:ohwell: .

One of the client was a teen and her mom was there. Her hair looked healthy but it was too flat for me. I don't think she had her hair done that day.

I'm pretty sure your hair will look fine tomorrow. At least you put some effort into finding a dominican salon, I just found one online and went. No effort at all, so I got what I asked for:lol:

luvlonghair

PinkPebbles said:
LuvLonghair-

Thank you so much for sharing...this definitley needed to be said!:grin:

You're very welcome. I just want everyone to be aware of the lies being told wether from a AA stylist or Dominican stylist:)

B

Bublnbrnsuga

Question: How do these Domican stylists look? Do they look like they are mixed or black? You said she showed you her brastrap length hair- was it curly? Kinky? I ask because here in Memphis, we don't have Dominican stylists and I am curious about how they look.

luvlonghair

Lucia said:
Maybe it's a garlic based condish or shampoo, cause it stops shedding?
check here
http://ibeautyny.com/goods_detail.asp?goodsIdx=3030

This link doesn't show what you were referring to. I don't think it was that anyway. The shampoo was pretty basic, and kind of stripping if you ask me. But it was the time she took to put that brown liquid on my scalp, then massage it in, then put a regular conditioner on my ends, then place me under the dryer.

When it was time for the to rinse, she massage my hair one more time, and told me she had to lightly shampoo it out and then she rinsed in luke warm water.

glamazon386

luvlonghair said:
You're very welcome. I just want everyone to be aware of the lies being told wether from a AA stylist or Dominican stylist:)

Exactly. There are always stylists who are educated and are about healthy hair and there are those who aren't, AA or not.

Bublnbrnsuga said:
Question: How do these Domican stylists look? Do they look like they are mixed or black? You said she showed you her brastrap length hair- was it curly? Kinky? I ask because here in Memphis, we don't have Dominican stylists and I am curious about how they look.

I've been to 3 different Dom Salons in Baltimore and more often than not the stylists look black. You don't know they're Dominican until they open their mouths. I've seen a some who look more mixed but not that many. They all relax their hair though, no matter what type they have.

luvlonghair

Bublnbrnsuga said:

A lot of dominicans look mixed to me. Their hair is similar to ours. The stylist that removed her clip hair was kind of thick, so I would say a 3c/4a and very healthy. The other one, the owner, hair looked just like AA women hair. Both of them relax their hair. HTH:)

brooklyngal73

SteelyDan/DonaldFagenFan!
WHOA!!

I love the salons in BK. The most I've ever paid for a wash & set is $20, and they've never pushed a relaxer on me. I usually go when I'm at least 12 weeks post relaxer. Luckily for me, I live 3 blocks away from a Dominican salon, so that's where I go regularly....

Letitia said:

Nice & Wavy

luvlonghair said:
If I understand your question correctly. I've spoke about about LHCF to any of my clients. I do implement and inform my clients on things that I've learned here, just in case they couldn't make an appt. (low funds). I always educate my clients.

Yes, that's what I meant. That's a good that you do educate them. ;)

Keen

I just want to state that my Dominican stylist do not think AA's hair should be relax every 4 weeks. She doesn't care when was your last relaxer, if you don't have enough new growth, she is not perming your hair. I went to her after 10 weeks for a relaxer. She said no, come back in 4 more weeks, you don't have enough new growth. She does that all the time with new clients. I knew I could wait but I was going on vacation, I wanted a fresh perm.

I also wants to say my previous AA stylist was good. She cared about hair. but she wouldn't give me a discount if I bring my own perm. She doesn't use phyto and the Dominican stylist does. So I switched. Both of them are really good.

My roommate AA stylist is also good. She cares about hair. she doesn't do all those hair do with gel and hair spray. but She do good relaxers and roller sets. that's all that maters to me.

ETA: I was referring to my dominican stylist only

Last edited:

Kimberly

Bublnbrnsuga said:

Bubln, I'm starting to wonder if we do have them and just don't know it.

When I found the one here in Indy, I was sitting at an intersection noticing all of the Spanish-language business signs and the one for the salon just stuck out at me. The phone number was prominently displayed on the sign so I called while I was sitting there and asked if it was a Mexican salon or a Dominican salon and she said Dominican. So, that makes me think that one of those in Memphis that we think are Mexican might actually be Dominican and they may not even be listed in the phone book. No where in the name of this salon does it say "Dominican".

I did not save the number to my phone that day and could not find them listed in the phone book...:confused: ...so I went back a few days later and this time, I went in. The lady whom I assume is the owner basically looked black to me. She did have an accent. Her hair appeared to be natural but the way a natural-haired person who blow-dried their hair might look. I told someone that her hair style looked kind of like Rosanna Rosanna Danna from Saturday Night Live (I know, I just told my age :lol: ) only it wasn't that big and full but she had the blunt cut bangs and it was blunt cut across the back and not curled but kind of blow-dried kinky. I wish I had a camera phone, I'd take a picture of her when I go tomorrow. The other lady in the salon did have the long silky straight hair so she may be relaxed. I'll get more info when I go tomorrow.

luvlonghair

Keen said:
I just want to state that Dominican stylist do not think AA's hair should be relax every 4 weeks. She doesn't care when was your last relaxer, if you don't have enough new growth, she is not perming your hair. I went to her after 10 weeks for a relaxer. She said no, come back in 4 more weeks, you don't have enough new growth. She does that all the time with new clients. I knew I could wait but I was going on vacation, I wanted a fresh perm.

I also wants to say my previous AA stylist was good. She cared about hair. but she wouldn't give me a discount if I bring my own perm. She doesn't use phyto and the Dominican stylist does. So I switched. Both of them are really good.

My roommate AA stylist is also good. She cares about hair. she doesn't do all those hair do with gel and hair spray. but She do good relaxers and roller sets. that's all that maters to me.

Not all, but the two I met yesterday did. This thread was not intended to bash dominican stylists, this was meant to be informative. I wanted to share my experience with everyone regarding what happened "To Me" when I visited a dominican salon. I'll definitely will be going to another dominican salon, just not this one.

Kimberly

luvlonghair said:
Not all, but the two I met yesterday did. This thread was not intended to bash dominican stylists, this was meant to be informative. I wanted to share my experience with everyone regarding what happened "To Me" when I visited a dominican salon. I'll definitely will be going to another dominican salon, just not this one.

Thank you, I think it was very informatve. I'd love to see pics of how your hair turned out.

MzOptimistic

luvlonghair said:
:sekret: :sekret: :sekret: :sekret:

O.k., ladies, I’ve heard all the rave about going to a Dominican stylist and wanted to test the waters myself and decided to go undercover to see what all the hype was about.

So I’m searching yesterday for a Dominican salon in my area and found one. I went after I got off from work yesterday. I go in and I’m greeted by two ladies and a couple of AA clients. I had waited no longer than 2 to 3 minutes to be serviced:D . I go the chair and the lady just wraps a towel around my neck and puts me in the bowl…… (no cape):eek: :confused: . She tells me that my hair is really dry (I had used to many products on my hair on Sunday). She shampoos my hair meanwhile wetting half of my face…… Anyway, they start talking in spanish, my stylist then goes to a corner and pulls out a little applicator bottle with some light brown liquid in it, (no name or label on bottle) and proceeds to apply it to my scalp.

The argument begins……..

They begin to tell me that if I wanted to grow long hair, that I need to come to them every week, I’m like o.k.,………then she says, “if you come and get a deep conditioner every week, your hair will grow and be even”……WTH:confused: , I tell her that my hair never grows even and that I do get deep conditioning every week, she looks at me like I’m lying:mad: . She then tells me the only way that my hair will grow long is if I get a relaxer every 4 weeks:mad: :confused: , (You got to be kidding me) is this a joke:ohwell: :perplexed :mad: . I know I went in there as a regular client, but that’s ridiculous:perplexed . I told her that there is no way that I’m getting a relaxer every 4 weeks, and that I don’t have enough new growth at 4 weeks to warrant a relaxer. She then says “that’s why your hair won’t grow”:mad: . Whatever…….:mad: , I told them that my hair was up to my ears and now look at the length, “My hair does grow and it grows long”. She snarls at me, then says “well it could be longer”:mad: , goodness, this is what happens when AA’s don’t know how to take care of their hair and allow a stylist whether their AA or Dominican to convince them otherwise. The she says “you must have been going to AA stylist”, I tell her yes, she says “that’s why…….:mad: :mad: :mad: So then my stylist tells me “you can have long hair like me” and proceeds to take her hair clip out to show me her BSL hair. I tell her that’s very nice and that’s the length I’m shooting for. She says “come every week for deep conditionings and get a relaxer every 4 weeks and you can have hair like this”.:mad: :confused: :perplexed :ohwell: UHHHHUUUHH……whatever……..:lol:

I don’t think they realized how long my hair was. I had my hair in a phony pony, so my hair was bunned. Even after putting the deep conditioner in……I think when she began to roll my hair, that’s when they really noticed, because all of a sudden, they both got quiet, looking at my hair as she rolled.:lol:

I know this is what I get, I went there for the experience and to see them do a blow-out for myself, but it just shows what the Dominicans think about AA’s (whether a client or stylist). Some of us have good reason not to go AA stylist and I understand completely. But as a client, I know that there are a lot of AA stylists who know and care about hair health. As a stylist, I’m pissed off because AA’s are my people and to see how they talk and think about us 1st hand is unbelievable. I think they let loose because I was the only one left in there, I’m glad though.

In conclusion, I was very happy with my hair:D . They did a good job except for the water all over my face and that heat on my scalp (it wasn't that bad, but bad enough). They rollerset my hair and blew out my roots because I’ll be 11 weeks post tomorrow, then wrapped my hair. I was going crazy trying to find out what they put on my scalp before placing me under the dryer. It was a light brown liquid, with mo smell or texture. When I got home a did a crazy search on line trying to find this product, the one thing I found out is that she had to lightly shampoo it out. Long story short, I found out that it was the Aveda Sap Moss. This thing cured my shedding dramatically. I had one hair in the comb this morning compare to about 30 in the morning. I’m picking some of this stuff up.

Another note, the Dominican don’t do anything different than we do, it’s just the products they use, just in case someone wanted to know.

Sorry for the long thread, but I felt compelled to share.

Thanks for sharing, when you said it was aveda sap moss...do you mean the sap moss concentrate? for prepoos? Thanks again for sharing your story:)

luvlonghair

tsmith said:
Thanks for sharing, when you said it was aveda sap moss...do you mean the sap moss concentrate? for prepoos? Thanks again for sharing your story:)

Yup, that's exactly what I was referring to but she used it as a deep conditioner and applied regular conditioner to my strands/ends:)

preciousjewel76

Kimberly said:
Bubln, I'm starting to wonder if we do have them and just don't know it.

When I found the one here in Indy, I was sitting at an intersection noticing all of the Spanish-language business signs and the one for the salon just stuck out at me. The phone number was prominently displayed on the sign so I called while I was sitting there and asked if it was a Mexican salon or a Dominican salon and she said Dominican. So, that makes me think that one of those in Memphis that we think are Mexican might actually be Dominican and they may not even be listed in the phone book. No where in the name of this salon does it say "Dominican".

I did not save the number to my phone that day and could not find them listed in the phone book...:confused: ...so I went back a few days later and this time, I went in. The lady whom I assume is the owner basically looked black to me. She did have an accent. Her hair appeared to be natural but the way a natural-haired person who blow-dried their hair might look. I told someone that her hair style looked kind of like Rosanna Rosanna Danna from Saturday Night Live (I know, I just told my age :lol: ) only it wasn't that big and full but she had the blunt cut bangs and it was blunt cut across the back and not curled but kind of blow-dried kinky. I wish I had a camera phone, I'd take a picture of her when I go tomorrow. The other lady in the salon did have the long silky straight hair so she may be relaxed. I'll get more info when I go tomorrow.

I know exactly what you mean! I used to love the Rosanne Rosannadanna skits! :lol:

blackbarbie

Longhairluva,
Thanks for sharing your experience, but I just had to fall out laughing when you said she had water all over your forehead!:lol: Girl when my gf and I went last week, I got a towel draped around my shoulder instead of a cape, but she was slathering water everywhere that she may as well washed my whole darn face. My gf was sitting under the dryer getting a deep conditioner and she had so much water in her plastic cap that it was running all down her neck and back.

Despite that, she enjoyed her blowout (she's natural) b/c it looked like she had a fresh perm. They did give me a relaxer and I am sooooo happy with it so far. And you're right, they don't do anything different, it's just the products they use. I purchased some lacio lacio and rollerset my own hair and it was as light and fluffy as when they did it.

luvlonghair

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

I kept saying to myself while wiping the water from my head ("doesn't she see this....WTH) but she just kept on swinging that water. I'm glad you had a good experience. I know what you mean about that Lacio Lacio, I will never do another rollerset without it, I also like using Salerm for setting. Their blowouts are the deal, I like it a lot, can't wait to find another salon but I need to find one that doesn't use too much heat, even though I could take it, that heat was fierce.:eek: I won't do that again:nono: :nono:

blackbarbie said:
Longhairluva,
Thanks for sharing your experience, but I just had to fall out laughing when you said she had water all over your forehead!:lol: Girl when my gf and I went last week, I got a towel draped around my shoulder instead of a cape, but she was slathering water everywhere that she may as well washed my whole darn face. My gf was sitting under the dryer getting a deep conditioner and she had so much water in her plastic cap that it was running all down her neck and back.

Despite that, she enjoyed her blowout (she's natural) b/c it looked like she had a fresh perm. They did give me a relaxer and I am sooooo happy with it so far. And you're right, they don't do anything different, it's just the products they use. I purchased some lacio lacio and rollerset my own hair and it was as light and fluffy as when they did it.