Went Undercover....Argued with Dominican Stylist (Long)

blackbarbie

luvlonghair said:
:lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

I kept saying to myself while wiping the water from my head ("doesn't she see this....WTH) but she just kept on swinging that water. I'm glad you had a good experience. I know what you mean about that Lacio Lacio, I will never do another rollerset without it, I also like using Salerm for setting. Their blowouts are the deal, I like it a lot, can't wait to find another salon but I need to find one that doesn't use too much heat, even though I could take it, that heat was fierce.:eek: I won't do that again:nono: :nono:

I have salerm too. Do you use both of them together? I remember reading the salerm vs. lacio lacio thread (only AFTER i had purchased both of them) and I see that they are both leave ins. What additional benefits do you get from salerm, or do you find they give you the same results?

Keen

luvlonghair said:
Not all, but the two I met yesterday did. This thread was not intended to bash dominican stylists, this was meant to be informative. I wanted to share my experience with everyone regarding what happened "To Me" when I visited a dominican salon. I'll definitely will be going to another dominican salon, just not this one.

Oops... I meant My Dominican Stylist.

luvlonghair

blackbarbie said:
I have salerm too. Do you use both of them together? I remember reading the salerm vs. lacio lacio thread (only AFTER i had purchased both of them) and I see that they are both leave ins. What additional benefits do you get from salerm, or do you find they give you the same results?

Pretty much the same results, but I like Lacio Lacio better. My avatar picture is the roller set using Lacio Lacio.:)

luvlonghair

Keen said:
Oops... I meant My Dominican Stylist.

No problem, I hear you girl, I can't wait to find a stylist for my hair. Even though I'm a stylist, I like to have a break from time to time and get pampered:grin:

Tee

Bublnbrnsuga said:
Question: How do these Domican stylists look? Do they look like they are mixed or black? You said she showed you her brastrap length hair- was it curly? Kinky? I ask because here in Memphis, we don't have Dominican stylists and I am curious about how they look.

The one I went to in Texas looked Mexican. But she made sure to let me know she was NOT Mexican. She said the Mexican ladies dont know black hair and try to lie like they are Domican.

Keen

luvlonghair said:
No problem, I hear you girl, I can't wait to find a stylist for my hair. Even though I'm a stylist, I like to have a break from time to time and get pampered:grin:

I so wish you live less than two hours from me. :ohwell:

Tee

bklynwildheart said:
WHOA!!

I love the salons in BK. The most I've ever paid for a wash & set is $20, and they've never pushed a relaxer on me. I usually go when I'm at least 12 weeks post relaxer. Luckily for me, I live 3 blocks away from a Dominican salon, so that's where I go regularly....

See...All the ladies from New York and surrounding area told me that was extreme amount to pay!

luvlonghair

Keen said:
I so wish you live less than two hours from me. :ohwell:

Awwww....you got me blushin' over here:Blush2: :Blush2:

I wish I was too, but don't worry, you'll find a great stylist in your area:grin:

cutiebe2

Letitia said:
The one I went to in Texas looked Mexican. But she made sure to let me know she was NOT Mexican. She said the Mexican ladies dont know black hair and try to lie like they are Domican.

Thats true. DR, like Cuba has a high percentage of blacks. They are black just with softer straighter hair. But since they have so many types of hair...from straight to knappy, the stylist there learn to deal with all types of hair.

Tee

cutiebe2 said:
Thats true. DR, like Cuba has a high percentage of blacks. They are black just with softer straighter hair. But since they have so many types of hair...from straight to knappy, the stylist there learn to deal with all types of hair.

Those were her EXACT words!!

tenderheaded

You have a wonderful attitude about haircare! I like the idea that you get your hair done. Since you won't divulge the name of the Dominican salon you went to, I'll have to do a search:ohwell:

Thanks for the undercover work and let us know when you do your next "mission":grin:

blackbarbie

Letitia said:
See...All the ladies from New York and surrounding area told me that was extreme amount to pay!

:confused: The one in Kennesaw charged my gf $30 for a blow dry and $10 for a deep conditioner. They charged me $70 for a relaxer:eek:

blackbarbie

luvlonghair said:
Pretty much the same results, but I like Lacio Lacio better. My avatar picture is the roller set using Lacio Lacio.:)

O.K. I will try using the Salerm next time as I had planned and see which one i prefer better as well.

luvlonghair

tenderheaded said:
You have a wonderful attitude about haircare! I like the idea that you get your hair done. Since you won't divulge the name of the Dominican salon you went to, I'll have to do a search:ohwell:

Thanks for the undercover work and let us know when you do your next "mission":grin:

You're welcome girlie!!! I PM'd you.:D

luvlonghair

blackbarbie said:
O.K. I will try using the Salerm next time as I had planned and see which one i prefer better as well.

I must correct myself, I actually used both for the roller set in my avatar:)

JamericanGurl

Keen said:
I just want to state that my Dominican stylist do not think AA's hair should be relax every 4 weeks. She doesn't care when was your last relaxer, if you don't have enough new growth, she is not perming your hair. I went to her after 10 weeks for a relaxer. She said no, come back in 4 more weeks, you don't have enough new growth. She does that all the time with new clients. I knew I could wait but I was going on vacation, I wanted a fresh perm.

I also wants to say my previous AA stylist was good. She cared about hair. but she wouldn't give me a discount if I bring my own perm. She doesn't use phyto and the Dominican stylist does. So I switched. Both of them are really good.

My roommate AA stylist is also good. She cares about hair. she doesn't do all those hair do with gel and hair spray. but She do good relaxers and roller sets. that's all that maters to me.

ETA: I was referring to my dominican stylist only
My experiences is similar to yours. The girl that does my hair doesn't even suggest slapping a perm in my think hair. She simply blow drys the crap outta of it and applies product. She uses KMS Creme and oil as a finisher and sends me on my way.
I have never encountered A PROBLEM.

FYI (on other comments)
The People of the Dominican Republic are people of color ..ie...spanish...black. It's a country in the Spanish West Indies...There's a Sugar Cane field between them and Haiti (J/k).

All Hair Salons have to be licensed.

Tee

blackbarbie said:
:confused: The one in Kennesaw charged my gf $30 for a blow dry and $10 for a deep conditioner. They charged me $70 for a relaxer:eek:

I really did say...Hot D@mn when I read your post. That make me feel not so bad. See, they get us down here in the southern area's. The ladies in New York are getting the hook up! lol

blackbarbie

Letitia said:
I really did say...Hot D@mn when I read your post. That make me feel not so bad. See, they get us down here in the southern area's. The ladies in New York are getting the hook up! lol

Girl they are jacking us up for real!!! I figure they have to be competitive up north because of the competition since its probably a Dom. salon on every corner.

But since there are so few here, it's like they are going to charge us out of the wazoo b/c they know that we can't run to the corner to the next salon if we don't like their price.

luvlonghair

blackbarbie said:
Girl they are jacking us up for real!!! I figure they have to be competitive up north because of the competition since its probably a Dom. salon on every corner.

But since there are so few here, it's like they are going to charge us out of the wazoo b/c they know that we can't run to the corner to the next salon if we don't like their price.

Isn't that the truth. My family still lives up and Queens and my mom loves going to the dominican salon and paying $15 for her set. If they get on her nerves, she goes to the other corner and get her hair done there:lol: :lol:

Curlee_lurker

LA face/low class booty
blackbarbie said:
Right. I've read on here about only 1 Dominican salon in the Chicago area and the Egyptians out by me charge a lot more than they do where there's multiple salons. Simple supply and demand.

I'd probably be bald if I could find someone to do my hair for $20. The lack of salons here has kept me with a head of healthy hair and transformed me into a pj.

*ElleB

Bublnbrnsuga said:
Question: How do these Domican stylists look? Do they look like they are mixed or black? You said she showed you her brastrap length hair- was it curly? Kinky? I ask because here in Memphis, we don't have Dominican stylists and I am curious about how they look.

Dominicans vary: some look white, some look mixed, or rather, like your regular Latina (i.e. Jlo, etc) and some are Black. :) Their hair textures are mostly in the 3 range, but alot have hair on the kinkier side, and like some of the OPs said, alot of them relax their hair.

*ElleB

blackbarbie said:

That's exactly it...Where I live I have about 6 in a ten-block radius. (I'm in the South Bronx, NY)

Mizani_Mrs

Agent double O-LuvLongHair.... Undercover job well done! :sekret: Well congrats girl on becoming the first Charlottean to go to a Dom salon and post a result!! I reaaaaally appreciate the info. Can you IM me with the salon name, location and the price? i'm just curious....i'm really not sure that i'm interested in going since your experience wasn't all that great. Your hair turned out good, but i don't like the way they 'attacked' you. I really hate the fact that they tried to discredit AA stylists and even you as a smart customer. They think that all black women are dumb and don't know any better. But the sad part is that if i wouldn't have found LHCF I would have 100% believed them and would have been up in there weekly after they said the magic words "i can grow your hair". So sad, but true. That's what alot of black women want so they know if they say those words then they will get repeat customers.
Thanks for the info, i really enjoy reading your feedback because u always give a stylists point of view and some great advice. I'll have to come visit you soon (as soon as i can stop being lazy and go to your side of town).

Tee

blackbarbie said:

You are so right. This lady was the only one in the Dallas Area. That supply and demand can bite you in the butt!

luvlonghair

Mizani_Mrs said:
Agent double O-LuvLongHair.... Undercover job well done! :sekret: Well congrats girl on becoming the first Charlottean to go to a Dom salon and post a result!! I reaaaaally appreciate the info. Can you IM me with the salon name, location and the price? i'm just curious....i'm really not sure that i'm interested in going since your experience wasn't all that great. Your hair turned out good, but i don't like the way they 'attacked' you. I really hate the fact that they tried to discredit AA stylists and even you as a smart customer. They think that all black women are dumb and don't know any better. But the sad part is that if i wouldn't have found LHCF I would have 100% believed them and would have been up in there weekly after they said the magic words "i can grow your hair". So sad, but true. That's what alot of black women want so they know if they say those words then they will get repeat customers.
Thanks for the info, i really enjoy reading your feedback because u always give a stylists point of view and some great advice. I'll have to come visit you soon (as soon as i can stop being lazy and go to your side of town).

You're welcome Mizani. I really wanted to see what all the hype was about and to make sure that I was doing the blow-out correctly. I just PM'd you the info.

Angelicus

luvlonghair said:

Another note, the Dominican don’t do anything different than we do, it’s just the products they use, just in case someone wanted to know.

I am sorry that you had a bad experience. I really loved getting my hair done at Dominican Salons. From the Dominican Salons I've visited, they do a lot of stuff that is different; i.e., using a ton of heat; using a roller brush and a hot blowfryer to straighten the roots and make hair feel silkier.

Many Dominican stylists are different: I never heard one say that they should get a relaxer every 4 weeks. In fact, when I was in DR, many people couldn't afford to get one for 4-5 months at a time; hence all the heat usage.

Once again, sorry about your bad experience.

luvlonghair

Anky,

It's all good though:grin: I'm still searching for a dominican salon. I know there are some good ones out there, I just have to find the right one. I'm just glad I have the knowledge from LHCF and school to not fall for that trap. They were just trying to convice me to come in every week and pay $35 for this.

When I said that they don't do anything different, I meant in product use. Yes they do the blow outs but it's not for everyone and it's really for someone that has a lot of new growth. I don't see how getting that done weekly will benefit everyone's hair. Every other week, yes, every week, no. The again, it all depends on their hair. All I know is I can do this every week. I do love the products they use.:grin:

anky said:
I am sorry that you had a bad experience. I really loved getting my hair done at Dominican Salons. From the Dominican Salons I've visited, they do a lot of stuff that is different; i.e., using a ton of heat; using a roller brush and a hot blowfryer to straighten the roots and make hair feel silkier.

Many Dominican stylists are different: I never heard one say that they should get a relaxer every 4 weeks. In fact, when I was in DR, many people couldn't afford to get one for 4-5 months at a time; hence all the heat usage.

Once again, sorry about your bad experience.