West Ind. Ladies: Faster Growth in the Islands?

Mahalialee4

Using the same methods and products, has anyone noted whether hair rate is faster, and growth retentionn better when living in Caribbean? How much impact does the year round moist climate have on your hair? bonjour

Kurlee

I dunno about growth becuase the last time i was in the west indies, i wasn't into hair care that much. But I do remember that it felt healthier and behaved so much better and curled up alot more:yep:

Miss*Tress

i was there for 2 weeks last year and did not notice any difference in growth rate. then again who knows?
Could it be because you live in Tampa? :look:

I never stay in Florida or Jamaica long enough to see a difference in growth. My hair does sort of "explode" and look really big when I'm in the tropics though.

Last edited:

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
I get good growth here. I don't know if there's any change in growth rate when I go to colder climates. I'll have to check and see the next time I spend more than a month in a colder climate. I have a European project coming up so I'll check then. I do realize my hair acts funny for the first few days though. It gets stubborn and stiff like it goes into shock or something, then it slowly comes around and behaves somewhat like normal again.

FAMUDva

Could it be because you live in Tampa? :look:

This made me giggle a little... I

have nothing more to add since I'm not WI... I did used to live in FL growing up and did notice that my hair was thicker then and that I didn't have to do much for it to grow. But who knows, I was much, much younger then and my mom was taking care of my hair most of that time.

berry87

I'm confused. Why would there be a difference?

Perhaps its beacuse its warm there almost all year round. People notice growth spurts during the summer because of the heat stimulation, therefore in the Island where there is almost constant heat they might see a difference :grin:

locabouthair

I'm confused. Why would there be a difference?

because hair grows more in the warmer months.

my mom is guyanese. it's not an island but it's pretty warm there and her hair has been short all her life.

one summer I went to Florida and my hair grew like crazy.

Last edited:

MariposaSexyGirl

When I went to visit my mom in St Croix V.I for a month my hair was thicker due to the moisture in the air. My hair was always blowing in the wind. The water was softer so my hair was softer and easier to detangle. That about it the growth was the same.

DayStar

whenever im in the west indies my hairs quality is drastically improved. Probably because everything is so fresh!

Trinity1

When I go back home to visit (in Jamaica) my hair breaks like crazy. I think its because of the heat. It completely dries my hair out. When I get back to the states I have to deep condition every single day for about a week before my hair is back to normal.

TeeTee2

cutiebe2

Is that a fact?

maybe not for every single person but for the majority yes....ever notice that during the summer there are tons of thread asking how much growth people are getting for the summer

the sun is a great source of energy and nutrients for the hair...like how plants need sun...so does the hair

plus the cold is known to dry out the hair so if you moisturize well in heat you theoretically should be good

SoOoNY

My family is from Antigua and whenever we go down there my hair can grow pretty quick... but I don't think its cause of the weather. When down there I drink plenty of water, fish almost everyday, I condition everyday cause of the seawater and my hair is never straightened... always up...

My curl pattern is amazing and my hair is thick and full... so is my skin and i lose 5lbs withing the first week... I think my body and mind just like it so much it will do whateva it takes to get me to stay down there...lol:lachen:

Mahalialee4

I get good growth here. I don't know if there's any change in growth rate when I go to colder climates. I'll have to check and see the next time I spend more than a month in a colder climate. I have a European project coming up so I'll check then. I do realize my hair acts funny for the first few days though. It gets stubborn and stiff like it goes into shock or something, then it slowly comes around and behaves somewhat like normal again.

That is wht mine does in the tropics! Gets stiff, sticks together and acts all funny and looks flat and short!!!!
When I am at home in Canada, my hair never acts like that! I wonder do the size of hair strands have anything to do with my hair misbehavin? Also, mine wants to frizz and curl up real tight in the tropics.

Mahalialee4

That is wht mine does in the tropics! Gets stiff, sticks together and acts all funny and looks flat and shorter!!!! Maybe if I stayed down there long enough it would come around.
When I am at home in Canada, my hair never acts like that! I wonder do the size of hair strands have anything to do with my hair misbehavin? Also, mine wants to frizz and curl up real tight in the tropics.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Um, honestly no. My hair growth is about a 1/3'' a month... and that's pretty constant...not very impressive:ohwell:

But whenever I spend an extended amount of time in a cold climate, my hair also misbehaves...Shedding like a @$%^&, splits and breakage.My hair hardly ever breaks @ home. It does this even when I DC and moisturize like a madwoman.. not even baggying helps..:wallbash: my hair HATES winter.

thesweetone

When I went to visit my mom in St Croix V.I for a month my hair was thicker due to the moisture in the air. My hair was always blowing in the wind. The water was softer so my hair was softer and easier to detangle. That about it the growth was the same.

I too notice how much softer my hair is when I go back to St. Croix. I attribute it to the water. The water I use to wash my hair when I am there comes from a cistern. It is pure, untreated rain water. No harsh chemicals like we have here in the states. I know the chemicals in this stateside water contribute to dry, hard hair.

My West Indian journeys: Born to Guyanese parents while dad at school in Michigan; lived there 14 mos - back to Guyana for 3 years - on to Trinidad for 3 years - St. Croix for 11 -then moved to TX for school - currently residing in Alexandria, VA.

trini_rican

I think it grows better in the islands because they don't have the same harsh chemicals in their water. I'm in South Florida so it's very warm here 83 degrees was today's high - most days its like that.

audacious1

I think it grows better in the islands because they don't have the same harsh chemicals in their water. I'm in South Florida so it's very warm here 83 degrees was today's high - most days its like that.

I think this speaks to the retention of growth and not growth itself.

I still don't buy the whole "hair grows faster in the summer." I think its more of a "the humidity got your new growth standing up all the time, so it seems like you have more new growth than usual." But that's just my opinion, not fact. :yep:

Bublin

the water, the heat, better food

all contribute to increase of growth

I totally agree.

The longest i've spent in JA in one go is 6 weeks and i saw lots of growth. Since i had recently BC back then the progress was easy to see.

The water here in the UK is so hard. When i spend time in Jamaica my hair is soft and a lot less tangled. My scalp isn't so flaky and dried out.

I see all those little girls with full glossy hair in their bunches and i'm jealous.

Also hairstyling is sooo much cheaper!!!

Candy_C

I totally agree.

The longest i've spent in JA in one go is 6 weeks and i saw lots of growth. Since i had recently BC back then the progress was easy to see.

The water here in the UK is so hard. When i spend time in Jamaica my hair is soft and a lot less tangled. My scalp isn't so flaky and dried out.

I see all those little girls with full glossy hair in their bunches and i'm jealous.

Also hairstyling is sooo much cheaper!!!

one of the main reasons i love JA is because of the boost my health gets...i washed my hair everyday over there..maddd growth!

ps. ur lookin hot in ur siggy!

StLucianSweetie

I dont know about increased 'growth', but while in St. Lucia my hair is always softer and shiner. The water over there is really different from the water is the states. It affects me not only topically when washing hair but also through ingesting it.