Wet bunning and your ends.

Sui Topi

Hi guys, I was just wondering for those naturals that wet bun all the time, how is it on your ends? Yesterday I was too lazy to braid my hair in the usual 6 and I was considering wet bunning, but I am really trying to keep my ends from getting single strand knots and I wasn't sure it would stretch my hair out enough to keep it from coiling up on it's self. I eventually ended up doing two big cornrows.

I used to do wash and goes for a long long time and I have reaped the uh...I don't think I should call it rewards, but I have a lot of crap on my ends to cut from single strand knots and splits. I'm trying to retain atleast 2" now by June and I don't want to risk having to cut more.

So did you find that wet bunning was not so nice on your ends, or do you think it is a good solution for me on those lazy days?

I have a feeling msa is going to come in here and shut my plans down, but I am just being hopeful.

Sui Topi

Bump!...come on guys, everyone raves about buns on here so I know there are practicers who have some information to help.:look:

chebaby

im not fully natural but i find that if i put my wet hair in one braid at the base of my neck and night, then in the morning i can unbraid and do a bun pr pony tail without my ends suffering. i also add thick oil to my ends when i wet bun like castor oil or cocasta oil.

winnettag

Wet bunning works great for me! I put a thick oil like castor on my ends as well. I've never had fewer single strand knots.

msa

I have a feeling msa is going to come in here and shut my plans down, but I am just being hopeful.

LOL. I'm soooo not gonna shut your plans down.

So recently, like in the last week, I've been able to start making wet buns (which means I'm retaining length yay!). But I can't do one, I have to do two. Either side by side or one on top and one on the bottom (which is actually pretty cute).

I haven't changed anything in my routine...I just use more castor oil than I normally would (for my ends especially). And I soak my hair bands in castor oil as well (I literally dip them in the bottle). So far so good. I don't do it every day though (I just love my fro). I'm very careful not to make them too tight.

I think they're a good solution as long as you pay attention to your hair. I'm about to get a weave though, so after I come out of that maybe I'll experiment with buns for a week straight and see what happens.

Sui Topi

I think I will try it on those days I am feeling super lazy.

LOL, I know how you stay about keeping your hair stretched to avoid knots (it's very true though!), and I figure the ends would still kinda coil up, but we'll see. I'm going to try and persevere until I get to my goal but on those odd days where I'm just like ugh, I don't think it will hurt that much....or I hope lol.

Sui Topi

One braid sounds nice too but I think I will have to do two because my bang will slink up as it dries and would not stay in the ponytail unless I brush it. Thanks for all the suggestions!