Wet or Dry????

araceli2418

I've read that you should not comb your hair while it's wet because it's already stretched. On the other hand, I've also read that it's easier to detangle while it's wet.

I especially want to hear from transitioners because I'm dealing with 2 textures at the moment.

Do you prefer to comb on wet or dry and why. TIA.

Fine 4s

good question. To piggy back, I would love to know for sure when is the hair most fragile and as a result when is it best to detangle or comb in general. I've heard both, wet and dry = confused :spinning:

discodumpling

Hair is most fragile when DRY IMO. For me water adds moisture and makes my hair more supple and easier to manage and manipulate. I have wet and dry detangling methods. Wet in the shower with loads of conditioner. I also detangle dry after saturating my hair with (usually) coconut oil. Either way I start with a large tooth comband then finish up with a smaller toothed comb ALWAYS in sections.

MissNina

Libra Girl
Hair is most fragile when DRY IMO. For me water adds moisture and makes my hair more supple and easier to manage and manipulate. I have wet and dry detangling methods. Wet in the shower with loads of conditioner. I also detangle dry after saturating my hair with (usually) coconut oil. Either way I start with a large tooth comband then finish up with a smaller toothed comb ALWAYS in sections.

I agree and also detangle with tons of conditioner in my hair. Yesterday I got my relaxer and she tried to detangle my hair when it was damp. . .I almost died. I ended up doing it myself b/c Im funny like that. I think it is a trial and error thing b/c different techniques work for different ppl.

Im relaxed, but if you're transitioning I would *think* it would be easier while wet just bc if you try it dry the relaxed ends might snap right on off.

gloomgeisha

I've tried detangling my hair while wet and for some reason it doesn't like it too much. I'm a 4a natural. Recently however, I took dry hair and applied a good amount of Vatika Oil and my hair detangled with so much ease it was ridiculous. I think using the Kcutter comb helped too.

I did this on hair that had been taken out of month old twists two weeks prior and was then slapped into two buns with nary a comb or brush going to it.:perplexed Normally it would have been a nightmare.

I think you'll find what works best for you.

Eisani

I've read that you should not comb your hair while it's wet because it's already stretched. On the other hand, I've also read that it's easier to detangle while it's wet.

I especially want to hear from transitioners because I'm dealing with 2 textures at the moment.

Do you prefer to comb on wet or dry and why. TIA.

Almost 10 mos into my transition (3c/4a texlaxed) and I comb either in the shower soaking wet w/conditioner or before I wash loaded w/conditioner w/a wide-tooth shower comb. I've been using my Goody jojoba infused brush lately on dry hair w/no problems, but I don't want to make it a habit.

MizzBrown

As a stretcher, the more weeks that i'm post-relaxer, the more i cannot comb my dry hair.

I will use a shower comb for daily dry styling because my regular comb will not get through the NG.

But to actually comb from the root and detangle, it must be soaking wet and conditioned well.

araceli2418

Keep 'em coming. I'm getting lots of good info. Just want to know what others are doing and that will help me decide for myself. Thanks ladies.

nichole21

I'm texlaxed and trying to transition and I try my darnest to not comb my hair when its dry. In effort to break the curles/tangles I let the water run through them to loosen them, then saturate my hair in conditioner then detangle with a jibere shower comb. When I comb while my hair is dry, I have hair all over the bathroom.

Ramya

I don't comb my hair while it's dry EVER :nono: The only time I comb is with conditioner in it and while styling. (I style wet). Combing while dry = :hair:

*closer*2*my*dreams*

I rarely detangle (only when desperately needed); but if my hair is severely tangled, I use some amla oil and let it sit on my hair overnight with a plastic shower cap and in the morning I co-wash and continue my reggie for that day. if it's not too tangled, i will just lie in bed and detangle at the roots with my fingers and put it in 4 braids for the night (so the roots won't tangle) again. I have not done this too often because I co-wash and deep condition enough for it not to tangle (for me). Usually when I co-wash and deep condition i just brush the edges into a ponytail and I don't mess with the middle all that much and it works great (for me)!