What A Sweet Touching Story...Made Me Smile :-)

Nice & Wavy

Couple together for 59 years; die moments apart (PHOTO GALLERY)

Comments 69 | Recommend 17
December 16, 2009 9:04 AM

Wendy Victora
Daily News
DEFUNIAK SPRINGS – He was quiet. She wasn’t. He liked to hunt, while she loved her potted plants.

She was 16 when they met in a skating rink. They eloped in a dump truck later that year.

After 59 years of marriage, James and Lolie Brackin died Saturday morning only moments apart.

“They say when you die, you’re immediately in the presence of Jesus,” said their youngest daughter, Dana Troublefield. “I think she got up there and said, ‘Where’s my husband?’ And Jesus said, ‘Just a minute. I’m working on that.’ “She didn’t like to go anywhere alone,” Troublefield added.

View photos of the couple »

At the time of their deaths, James was 79 and Lolie three years younger. They called each other “Honey” so often that one of their granddaughters thought it was her grandfather’s name. They had four daughters, Carol, Debbie, Cindy and, finally Dana, who came 20 years after their first.

James told their oldest daughter, Carol Gruver, almost a decade ago that he was worried about dying first because he didn’t think Lolie would be happy without him.

“He was just waiting for her to go home to heaven so he could go with her,” Gruver said.

James spent more than 25 years in the Army, completing tours in Vietnam and Korea. Lolie was a homemaker, who stepped into her husband’s duties during his absences and stepped back into hers when he returned.
They faced challenges over the years, but never argued in front of their children.

“They completed each other,” said their third oldest, Cindy Spence. “I remember as a teenager, my parents had a big Mercury station wagon. My mom would always sit next to him.

“When they would walk somewhere, they would always hold hands.”
Recent years had brought increasing health problems to the couple. Both had memory loss. He was blind and had suffered strokes. She was in a nursing home on and off for years, while he stayed at their home with their youngest daughter.

The week before the couple died, it had become obvious that he was too weak to stay at home and arrangements had been made for him to share his wife’s room.

They spent one night together before they died, waking up Saturday morning and having breakfast together. They were watching Animal Planet, one of their favorite shows, when a nurse’s aide checked on them.

“I’m going to die today,” Lolie told the aide, who asked her if she needed to go back to the hospital. No, she just felt “different,” Lolie told her.
When the aide came back a short time later, Lolie wasn’t breathing. Moments later, they discovered James had also passed away.
The doctor said he believes James heard that his wife had died and the shock killed him.

James and Lolie had always dreamed of having a church wedding, but it never happened. They will be buried together and share a funeral service on Wednesday at 11 a.m. at the First Baptist Church of Woodlawn.

“We’re going to miss them terribly, but we’re glad this happened the way it did,” Gruver said. “He was waiting. It’s a good thing that he was in the room when she passed.”

joy2day

What a beautiful story... I often wonder what it is like to have a love like that... this reminds me of the couple in Nicholas Sparks novel/movie, "The Notebook"

Nice & Wavy

It is a beautiful story of two people who fell in love and for 60 years loved each other until their dying day. It made me think of how much I love my husband and look forward to spending the rest of my life with him.

joy2day

That is a beautiful sentiment Nice...it makes me think about my parents too... they were inseparable, and I used to say that they are like peanut butter and jelly---one just isn't the same without the other! True love is priceless...God bless you and your husband.

It is a beautiful story of two people who fell in love and for 60 years loved each other until their dying day. It made me think of how much I love my husband and look forward to spending the rest of my life with him.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Awwwwww, this is So "Precious" ... a love that endures beyond the 'end'.

Thank you for sharing this very touching reminder that true love and marriage are not extinct. This couple were and still are truly 'One', cleaving unto one another and Jesus. :Rose:

Nice & Wavy

That is a beautiful sentiment Nice...it makes me think about my parents too... they were inseparable, and I used to say that they are like peanut butter and jelly---one just isn't the same without the other! True love is priceless...God bless you and your husband.
I totally receive the blessing of me and my husband, joy2day! Thank you so much :kiss: I love peanut butter and jelly, so I totally get it:grin:

Awwwwww, this is So "Precious" ... a love that endures beyond the 'end'.

Thank you for sharing this very touching reminder that true love and marriage are not extinct. This couple were and still are truly 'One', cleaving unto one another and Jesus. :Rose:
I love this "...a love that endures beyond the end." That is beautiful, Shimmie!