What am I doing wrong?

mscounselor

First I just want to say I never thought I would last this long as a transitioner. But its almost 11 weeks and I feel good about it.

Anyhow, my hair is breaking. I am not sure how much outside of the natural shedding and nothing I have done is helping. I have tried using a moisturizer(BB, Africa's best, or Profectiv) twice a day and that just made me look like a duck in an oil spill (horrific I know). I only comb when wet w/conditioner in otherwise I use a brush to put my hair up. I use CON or a natural jojoba shampoo and Awapuhi, Jojoba, or Aussie 3 minute miracle as a conditioner. I use Infusium leave in when styling. I have also done the EVOO pre-poo treatment. I dont know what's wrong. My hair is suffering and I want it to stop. :(
TIA for all your suggestions.

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
Sorry you're shedding, I went through that too. Check the ends of the hair that is shedding. If you see the white bulbs it is shedding; if there arent any, its breakage. Also check the texture of it, if the hair strand is all relaxed with no change in texture its breaking off at the new growth. I ended up switching from the moisturizers to light oils, oiling my hair while wet and then drying it naturally while I was still doing the straight styles. I didnt have to use muich oil because the water helped it spread and sealed in the moisture. Cream moisturizers just made my new growth bunch up and my hair broke more easily. I would check your hair for build up, and if you have any clairify using an ACV rinse. Also try a mild protein and see if that helps. If you can get a hold of BBD stretch, that will probably stop most of it, I wish I would have been able to find it while I was transitioning. I'm sure the other ladies will have more suggestions. Good luck. :)

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
Well I transitioned for a long time and had the same problem. I found the best thing was reducing manipulation of my hair as much as possible. I would detangle my hair only once a week, very slowly. The rest of the time, I kept it in a braided ponytail/bun for the majority of my transition. Occasionally I did braidouts.

I also found that detangling with a ton of conditioner in my hair didn't workout for me while I transitioning. I did it for a long time then one day I was bored and sprayed detangler on my dry hair to moisten it well and detangled it. I lost a lot less hair this way so I would suggest finding out which detangling method will work best for you.

The only other thing that I would suggest that I've heard other naturals mention is that they transitioned in twists or braids and they didn't lose as much hair.

Lastly, always keep your ends and the point where your natural hair meets the relaxed hair moisturized. I used a leave in and put shea or some type of butter on my ends and this helped a lot as well. Good luck to you :)

MeccaMedinah

I transitioned for a long time too. Although, I didn't have breakage or much shedding, I knew from past experience that my hair didn't like Infusium. EVOO hasn't done much good to my hair either. And I recently tried the 3 min Miracle by Aussie & my hair felt stripped. As a transitioner I conditioner washed & used carrot creme mixed with oil & that was it. Shampooing does not agree with my hair, it may not for you either. HTH

ETA: I transitioned wearing mainly twistouts.

Supastar

I transitioned years ago and had the same problem. I wore my hair in weaved or braided styles and when I took them out I deep conditioned before I shampooed. That helped to detangle and I lost a lot less hair

Ms Red

Congratualtions on getting to 11 weeks post relaxer. I am only 8 weeks post but I know how it can get difficult.

Infusium 23 worked but it made my hair (3c/4a) brittle and it broke a little. That might be the culprit. :eek: Also, I have a really simple regimen, which is working for me- and it even makes my new growth feel silky and soft, which decreases breakage.

I shampoo w/CON
Then condition with one of the following: LeKair Cholesterol or Nexxus Humectress (with baggie for about 10-15 mins)
Then deep condition with Neutrogena Triple Moisture Deep Recovery Hair Mask (with baggie for 30 min. no heat)
After rinsing, end w/ice cold water rinse to seal cuticle.

When my hair is halfway dry I part my hair and add Wild Growth Oil to the new growth and ends. Then I use NTM Silk Leave In or NTM Hydrating Foam and disperse it throughout from root to tip.

I then rollerset. So far, this has prevented breakage. If your hair isn't protein sensitive I would use Keraphix, Motions CPR or Emergencee- depending on the level of protein you need.

Good luck and I HTH. :Rose:

brazenxvirtue

My hair starts shedding somewhere around 9 or 10 weeks too. The trick for me is protein. Aubrey's GPB, Keracare Super Reconstructor, or Aphogee Intensive Keratin Reconstructor. I know there are some other good one's out there. Those tend to stop shedding in its tracks.

mscounselor

Thanks to all the ladies who responded! :)

Enchantmt- I saw no bulbs so I just assumed my hair was breaking off.

Nurse- I am starting 6 months of protective styles (close the year out). I call it the "protective style challenge" :grin:

Mecca- I bought Motions Leave in today and I think I prefer it much better. The Evoo just didn't completely wash out, no matter what I did! I'll just stick to the stuff in the oils.

Supa and Cupcake- Thanks for the advice and Happy growing.

Brazen- I think the next wash I will use the protein treatment my stylist always recommended. Can't remember it but I know what it looks like at Sally's.

FYI- I bought MNT today along with getting a good trim (3/4- 1.5") I also bought Motions Leave In. My hair is feeling much better. I plan to keep it simple and stop trying to do what everyone else did.

hopeful

Good luck with your transition mscounselor--sounds like you have good plans. Transitioning is an adventure--with a little courage, sense of humor and determination you will succeed!

locabouthair

when i was relaxed i could not go longer than 6 weeks without a perm that's how bad my new growth was and yes i did have breakage. However when i transitioned I pressedmy roots because at the time i didnt think about being natural i didn't want a perm but i still wanted my hair straight. and i did not see nearly as much breakage as i would have if i did not press. now i don't know if you want to abstain from heat which is what i'm doing now but maybe you can do blowout once in a while. HTH Good luck.