What are some bandwagons you jumped on that was a major FAIL for you?

Destiny9109

Finger detangling
Not using heat
Avoiding mineral oil
Cowashing
Cold water rinses
Baggying
Not trimming
Sulfate free shampoos
Acv rinses
Bunning 24/7
Natural products
Stretching relaxer past 10 weeks
Rollerwraps

I'm sure I have more.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Dry/Hard Hair:
Black tea rinses
Cold water rinsing (rinse with warm instead)
Roux Porosity Control (don't need it; I'm low porosity)
Herbal Essence Long Term (hair smelled great though)
Aloe vera juice (low porosity no-no)
Frequent protein treatements (low porosity no-no)
Aussie Moist (acne)

Damaged/Broken Hair:
Protein weekly (low porosity/I'm protein sensitive)
No mid-step protein after relaxer (won't ever skip again)
Tangle Teezer (all kinds of wrong)
Relaxer stretching (I know my limits)
Finger detangling (need daily combing)
Washing hair going in one direction (wash in sections now)
Not trimming (trims are important for my hair's health)

Hit or Miss:
Cowashing (sometimes it's awesome, sometimes not)
Sulfate free shampoo (causes buildup if done too often)
Cheapie prods (my low porosity hair prefers handmades)
I'm sure there's more....

ms.blue

Baggying overnight-caused my scalp to itch like crazy plus it made my hair too soft

Castor oil on the scalp for thicker hair- same as the above

Products made with sulfur oil- no matter how much I try to be careful not to get on my face, it still does and I get severe breakouts.

Biotin and msm- left me with horrible skin, hairy and funky nightmares

Using Elucence moisture shampoo-this was my first sulfate free shampoo as a natural and this shampoo turned me against using sulfate free shampoos for a long time. Drying and irritated scalp.

Using a bkt-took awhile before I noticed the damage to my hair

HappyAtLast

Simplicity & Peacefulness
- Sulfate free shampoos. My scalp never got clean enough and I had build up.
- Co-washing. Left build up on my hair and my scalp was always itchy.
- No mineral oil and no silicones. My hair is so dry without them.
- Going natural. My hair suffered for extrme dryness and constant matting. I'm still natural now, but I flat iron. My hair does better we straight. I don't have any matting and it's easier to keep my hair moisturized.
nerdography
What's your routine for keeping your hair straight in the Florida humidity? Products? Straightening process? How long does your flat iron last? Sorry for all the questions!!

Funny you mentioned minersl oil cause I just bought a bottle yesterday for the sole purpose of my hair. And silicones are a girl's best friend!:love2:

nerdography

Beenthere I use Nice and Curly Curl Me Up for moisture. And I used IC Fantasia Heat Protectant (the pink one) and Isoplus pressing oil.

My hair stays straight for a week and a half. I find that the heavy creams and pressing oil seals my hair shut and keeps it from getting dry and from humidity getting in.

HappyAtLast

Simplicity & Peacefulness
Beenthere I use Nice and Curly Curl Me Up for moisture. And I used IC Fantasia Heat Protectant (the pink one) and Isoplus pressing oil.

My hair stays straight for a week and a half. I find that the heavy creams and pressing oil seals my hair shut and keeps it from getting dry and from humidity getting in.

Thank you! I'll be checking out all those products

msbettyboop

Dencrap and tangle teezer promised to detangle. I nearly became bald instead.

Argan oil didn't do anything except sit there and appear stupid.

Biotin gave me headaches that can only be described as my brain banging against my frontal lobe.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Last edited:

Duchess007

The first time I did a henna treatment, my hair felt so dry and brittle I thought irreversible damage was done. Now I DC before and after and love it.

FAIL: Eco styler gel. Extremely drying with only crunchy hold to redeem it.

DOUBLE-FAIL: Wash N Go's shrink up to a Big-Shirl-from-What's-Happening 'fro that is tangled to high heaven. I just need to realize I am not MahoganyCurls and KIM :-/

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Last edited:

cubanspice

all topical growth aids- made me shed like a wild beast with no results

oil to seal- makes my hair dry

eggs- made my hair hard. and my hair loves protein.

aubrey organics- did nada for me.

Off topic but you're my hair twin.

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
Scurl - loved what it did for my hair. Hate what it did to my poor scalp.

Cantu Shea Butter - I was in love but my hair was not. Too much protein for me.

darlingdiva

1. Baggying: caused too much breakage

2. Detangling my hair in the shower under running water: caused too much breakage

3. Using paddle brushes: made me pull out hair unnecessarily

4. Cheapie conditioners: they don't moisturize my hair

5. Cold-water rinses: they make my hair feel rough

NaturallyATLPCH

Henna...good lord, my hair is still recovering. It did major damage to my ends, I had to cut about 2 inches cut off. Dried the crap out of my hair.

Shampoo bars...too alkaline for my hair, caused build up.

Totally avoiding cones and mineral oil. I used a DC with cones, mineral oil, and petroleum and my hair was the softest it's ever been.

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
I jump on and fall right off. I had the nerve to join a CO-wash challenge this past summer and within a day roller set my hair. Mind you every summer for as long as I can remember I strictly CO-wash. Join a challenge and my desire to CO-wash vanished. LOL! I can't even jump on a bandwagon. I fall right off within minutes.

MsDes

Pre-pooing, baggying, cold water rinses, coconut oil (by itself, makes my hair feel rough), KBB Ambrosia leave in (made my hair so dry and weird feeling!). I can go on...

Trini_Chutney

Peeing in my shower
Sulfur mixes to grow hair faster- I broke out on my face and chest.

Elaborate protective styles to help with retention- my hair can't handle excessive manipulation and I had a setback.

Tangle teezer to make detangling a breeze- gave me tons of split ends.

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me
Co-washing. *ducks* Don't stone me!

For the past few months I have been experiencing sore scalp and MAJOR hair loss. Like scary and I don't know how I have hair left on my head, shedding. At my wits end, I ponied up the $85 for the Komaza Care Hair Analysis.

Results: Co-washing has led to severe build-up and clogged follicles, resulting in severely diminishing root sheaths and hair loss.

Solution: No more co-washing. Shampoo once a week.

My plan: for the first two weeks wash twice a week with chelating shampoo. Use a leave-in conditioner designed to be left-in. Seal with coconut oil.

It's been one week (two shampoos) since I made this change and my scalp is no longer sore and the hair loss has decreased dramatically. As much as I love co-washing, I'll probably not do it again anytime soon.

youwillrise

terressentials mudwash. did not like it at all. hard hair, tangly. i love regular bentonite clay that i mix myself, but i was just not feeling that terressentials stuff.

honey. my hair hated it. hard hair. didnt help moisture at all.

my mind is blank. i know there's more.

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
Um I agree!!! Cowashing is a thumbs down for my fine hair. Too much manipulation is a no too. If my hair is getting wet, it's gettting washed with some shampoo.

briana87

I agree with curlicarib. My hair just wasn't impressed. I didn't suffer any setbacks (thankfully) but I realized that it wasn't necessary for my hair. Shampoos with sulfate don't have time to dry my hair out because for whatever amount of moisture it removes, I restore 3x as much.

DrC

Adding food to my hair.
Mayo avocado natural conditioning left my hair so hard and tangled

Henna. Never again. Like ever.

Tangle Teazer.

Anyone remembered the "juicing" thread? Had me walking around feeling like the characters in Sol Glo,

youwillrise

im gonna add pre-pooing. aint did anything for me, but waste conditioner and/or oil. doing an oil treatment before condition rinsing seems to help, but not if i plan to use shampoo of any kind.

FoxxyLocs

Co-washing - caused build up
Pre-poo - saw no benefit, waste of time
Frequent wash/rinsing - ssks, too much time

I don't do bandwagons anymore. My regimen works for me, so I just stick with that.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Protective styles. breaks my hair off, rips out my edges. They seem to require too much tension and pulling for too extended a period, like twists and braids She prefers being free. I retain more with wng or twistouts.

Castor oil. Severe allergic reaction. It was awful.

No petroleum product. Sorry. My hair loves the stuff. It's the only way she retains moisture.

Last edited:

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
baggying.....massive fail
mushy, squishy hair that wanted to break. thankfully, i saw the signs and quit while i was ahead.:nono:

megatek....massive extra fail
hair hardened, broke off, thinned out.....i was completely devastated:cry: