What Are Some Popular Hair Tools And Which Ones Are Worth The Tag?

Fine 4s

We all know about the RevAir and I finally purchased today
FHI, CHI and EAP flat irons
Do folks still use Q-Redew and Huetiful hair steamer?
Curlformers
And now Dyson is all up on it with the hair wrap or dryer

Anything new price tag aside?

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
I saw that the Tangle Teezer has brushes with handles now.:look:
Honestly, I feel like any hair tool must be worth its weight in gold to somebody. After so many years practicing healthy hair care, I accept that most tools are roulette for my curly hair.
I owned a Huetiful and a Q-Redew, and I wish I could go back in time and buy a $10 handheld fabric steamer instead. I would love it more and it would still be working most likely (or I’d cheaply replace it by now).
I think it’s safe to say I’m donezo with new combs or brushes or rollers. I thought I was done with dryers until RevAir came along. Now I just need to fall back in love with my hair before trying that gadget.

Lylddlebit

We all know about the RevAir and I finally purchased today
FHI, CHI and EAP flat irons
Do folks still use Q-Redew and Huetiful hair steamer?
Curlformers
And now Dyson is all up on it with the hair wrap or dryer

The revair is worth every penny. I love it.

I own the original fhi runway with the dial and the fhi runway with the digital display. Both are well worth the money but I prefer the one with the dial than the digital as the digital can snag your hair (not excessively but I just have to be mindful when using that one to avoid it). I have had the original runway for over a decade without issue. Runway is harder to find now too. It appears on eBay every few years but not as easily accessible online like it use to be.

I love the huetiful steamer. I have had mine for between 6 and 8 years and it works well. One negative is the cord is separating from the unit. I am preparing to buy a knock off or take it apart to the replace the red wire that is loose. My hope is the ones that look like it on Amazon will work just as well. I would repurchase the original but can't find it anymore. Every few years one appears on eBay but I'll with fix the wire on mine or buy a different brand.

I have the green and blue along with the pink and orange curlformers. They all work just as well today as the day I got them .I don't use them often as I plan to moving forward though.

I have a full set of kizure tools the stoves the irons and stand. They are the BOMB! I have tried other stove top tools nothing matches up to kizure. There are certain looks I can't achieve with electric tools. Electric curling irons that are 1 inch or smaller are fine but if I want a tight curl bigger than one inch I need to go stove and marcel. A good pressings comb will literally last across several generations.

The sedu icon prive blow dryer (discontinued) was 700 when it was released . Came with lifetime unlimited warrany for repairs. I got mine on sale. A lot of ppl complain it's too strong and the money you spend on repairs for shipping makes it a pain. However I haven't had those issues. Mine has never needed repairs and although it will knock the power out the outlet sometimes it usually doesn't trip my breaker box. I can just press the circuit reset button on the outlet and I am back in business. I like this blow dryer it's the most powerful traditional blow dryer I own.

I just bought the evolve and Felicia Leatherwood brushes. I own Denman and tangle teaser but they were just "ok". I am floored and love this evolve flow -through and Felicia Leatherwood brushes. It detangles as thoroughly as a fine tooth comb but is way gentler on the hair.

The good old 'gold n hot' hard Bonnet dryer works well for me. People complain about the height adjustments lol Humph! I put mine right on the ironing board and voila perfect height errrrtime. I am considering a higher end dryer but old faithful will have to break first.

Resin bone combs from hairsense.com are 10-14 dollars a piece but I have owned mine for years and they are very difficult to break. They are also heat resistant. I have only broken one comb and it wasn't from combing my hair.

I love microfiber towels they are cheaper in the auto isle than the hair isle.

I use my gold in got stoves more than my kizure one. I think they work the same and gold n hot is way cheaper. Have had that for over a decade also.

Last edited:

prettyinpurple

I saw that the Tangle Teezer has brushes with handles now.:look:
Honestly, I feel like any hair tool must be worth its weight in gold to somebody. After so many years practicing healthy hair care, I accept that most tools are roulette for my curly hair.
I owned a Huetiful and a Q-Redew, and I wish I could go back in time and buy a $10 handheld fabric steamer instead. I would love it more and it would still be working most likely (or I’d cheaply replace it by now).
I think it’s safe to say I’m donezo with new combs or brushes or rollers. I thought I was done with dryers until RevAir came along. Now I just need to fall back in love with my hair before trying that gadget.
Are you saying that I could use my small clothes steamer on my hair (carefully)?

I don't use the Q-Redew much since it gets product buildup so easily from whatever I used on my hair.

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
I’m saying...
Short answer: yes, especially if you are not particularly accident prone and comfortable using products for unlabeled use.:look:
I feel like I got mine at Walmart but maybe it was Target. All I know is that it was $8 and it looks exactly like this one only mine is black (which interestingly is more expensive at Target) https://www.target.com/p/joy-mangano-garment-steamer-white/-/A-51830162

And here are some of the most popular/oldest YouTube videos on steaming:

Once I got fed up with the Huetiful, I bought the Q-Redew then got fed up with that too, I thought, “How can a fabric steamer be any worse and at least it wouldn’t cost $$? But I wonder if people have used fabric steamers on their hair before?” Which prompted me to search the Internet before attempting my experiment.
I can only speak for a small handheld fabric steamer, as those bigger contraptions look a lot more powerful and intimidating but I’ve seen people use those too.

I bought and loved the Huetiful and Q-Redew when I first bought them, but slightly injured myself despite my pretty high dexterity and care. The Q-Redew’s prongs were supposed to force so much space between your hair and the steam stream, and despite keeping the tips of the prongs from my hair/head, powerful jets of steam would sometimes spurt out several inches, and blast my face/ear/neck/scalp with piping hot water. Sometimes droplets would fall straight from the holes and onto my foot or hand or shoulder. It’s possible this was a defect, but mine started really acting up about a week after the 1 year warranty was up.
Similar to the Huetiful, I found positioning it to be extremely awkward. It seemed I couldn’t easily find the right height to use it. (Partially why I don’t like those table top hard bonnet dryers, and stick to adjustable stand tools or freehand ones.) So there may be some awkwardness that was individual to me. The little release nozzle with the cap would always drip. ALWAYS. I would put a towel across my shoulder, put a towel under the Huetiful, and still it would drip piping hot water on my shoulders or neck about half the time. The reservoir lining the bonnet would regularly overflow/sweat/drip and that water was also often piping hot. Not to mention I found the bonnet to be entirely too shallow for my thick, vertical hair, so I had to be careful easing my head in/out under the bonnet because a little nudge from the top/side of my twist of hair would threaten to tip it over (which happened once or twice and was disastrous). The Huetiful was also difficult to clean, imo. And putting that reservoir under the heating coils was so hella awkward. Just weird. I would recommend getting a standing steamer if you MUST stay within branded use products.
So considering how much I loved these tools despite that troubled history, my $8 fabric steamer from Walmart/Target is a 1000% improvement. Cost, ease of use, simplicity, effectiveness, safety. The flow of water is even and consistent, it doesn’t drip (going 3 years strong), the setup is simple and fast, I have never gotten the steam too close to hurt, and can even steam my hair between layers, like I’m applying a treatment, because the depth/jet of steam is so consistent and at a distance of about 4” isn’t hot enough to hurt. I think if I put my hand 2” or closer I could burn myself, but the other gadgets just had awkward designs and maybe a little bit of user error for me.
Are you saying that I could use my small clothes steamer on my hair (carefully)?

I don't use the Q-Redew much since it gets product buildup so easily from whatever I used on my hair.

prettyinpurple

Thanks! I have the regular size version of that steamer. The travel one is cute.

Imma try this soon!

I’m saying...
Short answer: yes, especially if you are not particularly accident prone and comfortable using products for unlabeled use.:look:
I feel like I got mine at Walmart but maybe it was Target. All I know is that it was $8 and it looks exactly like this one only mine is black (which interestingly is more expensive at Target) https://www.target.com/p/joy-mangano-garment-steamer-white/-/A-51830162

Once I got fed up with the Huetiful, I bought the Q-Redew then got fed up with that too, I thought, “How can a fabric steamer be any worse and at least it wouldn’t cost $$? But I wonder if people have used fabric steamers on their hair before?” Which prompted me to search the Internet before attempting my experiment.
I can only speak for a small handheld fabric steamer, as those bigger contraptions look a lot more powerful and intimidating but I’ve seen people use those too.

I bought and loved the Huetiful and Q-Redew when I first bought them, but slightly injured myself despite my pretty high dexterity and care. The Q-Redew’s prongs were supposed to force so much space between your hair and the steam stream, and despite keeping the tips of the prongs from my hair/head, powerful jets of steam would sometimes spurt out several inches, and blast my face/ear/neck/scalp with piping hot water. Sometimes droplets would fall straight from the holes and onto my foot or hand or shoulder. It’s possible this was a defect, but mine started really acting up about a week after the 1 year warranty was up.
Similar to the Huetiful, I found positioning it to be extremely awkward. It seemed I couldn’t easily find the right height to use it. (Partially why I don’t like those table top hard bonnet dryers, and stick to adjustable stand tools or freehand ones.) So there may be some awkwardness that was individual to me. The little release nozzle with the cap would always drip. ALWAYS. I would put a towel across my shoulder, put a towel under the Huetiful, and still it would drip piping hot water on my shoulders or neck about half the time. The reservoir lining the bonnet would regularly overflow/sweat/drip and that water was also often piping hot. Not to mention I found the bonnet to be entirely too shallow for my thick, vertical hair, so I had to be careful easing my head in/out under the bonnet because a little nudge from the top/side of my twist of hair would threaten to tip it over (which happened once or twice and was disastrous). The Huetiful was also difficult to clean, imo. And putting that reservoir under the heating coils was so hella awkward. Just weird. I would recommend getting a standing steamer if you MUST stay within branded use products.
So considering how much I loved these tools despite that troubled history, my $8 fabric steamer from Walmart/Target is a 1000% improvement. Cost, ease of use, simplicity, effectiveness, safety. The flow of water is even and consistent, it doesn’t drip (going 3 years strong), the setup is simple and fast, I have never gotten the steam too close to hurt, and can even steam my hair between layers, like I’m applying a treatment, because the depth/jet of steam is so consistent and at a distance of about 4” isn’t hot enough to hurt. I think if I put my hand 2” or closer I could burn myself, but the other gadgets just had awkward designs and maybe a little bit of user error for me.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I’m saying...

I wonder if I can use my regular clothes steamer on my hair without injuring myself.

Karmi

I use my mini hand held garment steamer every week to detangle my hair before I rinse out my deep conditioner. My hair is low porosity and the stream of steam melts my tangles. I've been using it every week since January. Bought it for $15 in Target, no issues so far.

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
OMG!!! I’m glad you’re ok!
And I was sitting there being idiotic because my burns weren’t “that bad.” I’m glad it didn’t take a bad injury for me to wake up. Cause it easily could’ve been a disaster!
Do you know exactly how it happened?
@kxlot79, my shoulder was severely burned by the Huetiful. Went to ER, had to engage in wound care for weeks and have a huge scar to prove it. Never again.

SunkissedLife

basking in the sun
The revair is worth every penny. I love it.

I own the original fhi runway with the dial and the fhi runway with the digital display. Both are well worth the money but I prefer the one with the dial than the digital as the digital can snag your hair (not excessively but I just have to be mindful when using that one to avoid it). I have had the original runway for over a decade without issue. Runway is harder to find now too. It appears on eBay every few years but not as easily accessible online like it use to be.

I love the huetiful steamer. I have had mine for between 6 and 8 years and it works well. One negative is the cord is separating from the unit. I am preparing to buy a knock off or take it apart to the replace the red wire that is loose. My hope is the ones that look like it on Amazon will work just as well. I would repurchase the original but can't find it anymore. Every few years one appears on eBay but I'll with fix the wire on mine or buy a different brand.

I have the green and blue along with the pink and orange curlformers. They all work just as well today as the day I got them .I don't use them often as I plan to moving forward though.

I have a full set of kizure tools the stoves the irons and stand. They are the BOMB! I have tried other stove top tools nothing matches up to kizure. There are certain looks I can't achieve with electric tools. Electric curling irons that are 1 inch or smaller are fine but if I want a tight curl bigger than one inch I need to go stove and marcel. A good pressings comb will literally last across several generations.

The sedu icon prive blow dryer (discontinued) was 700 when it was released . Came with lifetime unlimited warrany for repairs. I got mine on sale. A lot of ppl complain it's too strong and the money you spend on repairs for shipping makes it a pain. However I haven't had those issues. Mine has never needed repairs and although it will knock the power out the outlet sometimes it usually doesn't trip my breaker box. I can just press the circuit reset button on the outlet and I am back in business. I like this blow dryer it's the most powerful traditional blow dryer I own.

I just bought the evolve and Felicia Leatherwood brushes. I own Denman and tangle teaser but they were just "ok". I am floored and love this evolve flow -through and Felicia Leatherwood brushes. It detangles as thoroughly as a fine tooth comb but is way gentler on the hair.

The good old 'gold n hot' hard Bonnet dryer works well for me. People complain about the height adjustments lol Humph! I put mine right on the ironing board and voila perfect height errrrtime. I am considering a higher end dryer but old faithful will have to break first.

Resin bone combs from hairsense.com are 10-14 dollars a piece but I have owned mine for years and they are very difficult to break. They are also heat resistant. I have only broken one comb and it wasn't from combing my hair.

I love microfiber towels they are cheaper in the auto isle than the hair isle.

I use my gold in got stoves more than my kizure one. I think they work the same and gold n hot is way cheaper. Have had that for over a decade also.

+1 for the FHI flat iron.
For those who straighten at home this is the best. The temp controls help you control the amount of heat and it glides smoothly. Lasted me for years until I stopped self straightening and gifted to a friend who still uses it to this day.

For combs I definitely think it’s worth it to buy a seamless comb. It makes such a difference. My favorite are Hercules Sageman which I bought from hotcombs.net I have the jumbo rake, the mini 6 inch to detangle when traveling, and a rat tail for deep detangling sessions or rollersetting or straight styles.

Scalp massager. Makes it so easy to incorporate scalp massages into your routine which are great for promoting growth. I got the inexpensive sea green one recommended by Naptural85.

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
I’m saying...

I wholeheartedly agree. I recently purchased the Q-redew on sale, and I was over it after one use. Not only is it awkward, the steam is not consistent, and I've burned myself multiple times with the spurt of steam it would shoot out. It's been in the box ever since. I was going to bite the bullet and use it tomorrow for wash day, but I will head to Walmart instead for a fabric steamer. Thank you for the suggestion.

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
Return it if you can! I forgot to mention the button to release the steam you have to hold and even though I have pretty strong grip strength, my hands get tired and cramp after a few minutes because it’s such an awkward button.
@divachyk is a reminder of why we shouldn’t use products once their danger has been made apparent to us.
I know you said you boxed it, but maybe someone else can benefit from it? Or maybe you can get your money back!
I recently purchased the Q-redew on sale, and I was over it after one use.

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
Return it if you can! I forgot to mention the button to release the steam you have to hold and even though I have pretty strong grip strength, my hands get tired and cramp after a few minutes because it’s such an awkward button.
@divachyk is a reminder of why we shouldn’t use products once their danger has been made apparent to us.
I know you said you boxed it, but maybe someone else can benefit from it? Or maybe you can get your money back!

I purchased around Christmas time. It's too late to return. I'm just going to chuck it. Sometimes you get your money's worth on a product, sometimes you don't. I wouldn't want anyone to use it.

Misseyl

I purchased my Huetiful Hair Steamer five years ago and it's worth the $116 I paid for it at the time. I also purchased Q'Redew ($99) hand-held steamer and I should have saved my money. I didn't use it for a few months and when I went back to it, it didn't work. I tossed it in the bin and asked myself why didn't I buy a hand held clothes steamer instead. I have a Sedu Revolution flat iron (about $170) that I purchased when my hair was relaxed, haven't used it in five years but eventually I'll use it when I decide to flatiron my natural hair.:afro:

Fine 4s

I wholeheartedly agree. I recently purchased the Q-redew on sale, and I was over it after one use. Not only is it awkward, the steam is not consistent, and I've burned myself multiple times with the spurt of steam it would shoot out. It's been in the box ever since. I was going to bite the bullet and use it tomorrow for wash day, but I will head to Walmart instead for a fabric steamer. Thank you for the suggestion.

Sell it to me @keranikki !

faithVA

I purchase lots of stuff. I have the huetiful. I am scared of it. A hot drop of water dropped on my scalp and I thought I would pass out. I'm always afraid the bubbling water is going to explode the plastic cup. And on top of all of that my hair doesn't feel any different when I step versus sitting under a heat cap with my conditioner. So it sits in the closet but I sometimes use the facial steamer part and I use the facial steamer when I have a cold and want to add extra moisture to the air.

I have the Q-Redew. I use it every now and then. As I said my hair doesn't really do any better with the steam so I use it occassionally. It works OK after I figured it out. And for those whose stopped working, sometimes it is just clogged and it may be possible to unclog it. But it took some doing. I make sure to completely get all of the water out of it before I put it up. Don't plan on getting rid of it. I may use it more if my hair ever gets longer.

I bought the Revlon Straightening Brush. It worked better than just a blow dryer. But it was too hot for my dry hair. It got my hair straight fast but I had a lot of breakage. I keep it because I bought it but I might give it to my girlfriend.

I bought the Rev-Air which I love. It doesn't dry out my hair. Yes I wish it was quieter, lighter and less expensive but it works. And now when I want to blow out my hair I'm not afraid of the damage. Before it took me 2 months to recover from the breakage of a blow dry.

Everything else I purchased has been inexpensive: curling iron, flat iron, blow dryer, bonnet dryer.

If I ever get some more hair I will pay the money for a stand up dryer.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
The best investment I ever purchased was my rolling steamer. Im going to buy another one in a few weeks, Lasted 10 years before it died. I steamed my henna, conditioners, tea, EVERYTHING under there.

I got a qredew on sale and its a blah . Its okay but Im not in love with it.

The rev air didnt impress me for the amount of money its worth. I think Im low key mad my 3 year old starts screaming until I turn it off. Then he comes and moves the hose to stare at the nozzle, lol. I would buy a smaller version.

I bought a rolling stand up dryer and it was good too. I had it about 4-5 years . I might get another one when I get my womans cave together.