What are you giving up for Lent...

oglorious1

Mixologist
Mardi Gras is on the 8th then Lent, what are you giving up for this Lenten Season...I'm doing the no meat and junk food this year...

oglorious1

Mixologist
CatSuga said:
What is Lent?

It's the 40 days before Easter, which represents the number of days Jesus spent in the wilderness fasting and praying, before going to the cross, the reason for giving up something for Lent, is to reflect on how Jesus gave up his life to die on the cross, so the purpose is to give up something for 40 days, more or less sacrificing something, Lent gives people an opportunity for sacrifice, inward reflection, and soul searching..

(The reason why they have Mardi Gras is to get all the partying and extra stuff out before you go into Lenten Season)

HTH, if you have any questions feel free to ask...

Nyambura

surfer girl
White foods - white flour, white sugar, rice and potatoes.:eek: Starch and sugar are my two vices. It's going to be a loooong Lenten season!:lol:

Cincysweetie

I usually give up chocolate and/or sweets. I hadn't thought much about it yet, but I will probably do the same thing. And let me tell you, that is HELL for me!

fine_beauty

Jesus, I Trust In You!
Gave up lhcf last year but this year, I'll leave myself open to the prompting of the Holy Spirit.

I don't really get on the forum that much anyway save on weekends. I actually spent a lot of hours here today and giving it up is going to be difficult.

Anyway, the aim is to mortify our senses (free ourselves of anything that is a potential idol or god for us) so that our souls can be more in tune with God.

Nyambura

surfer girl
Cincysweetie said:
I usually give up chocolate and/or sweets. I hadn't thought much about it yet, but I will probably do the same thing. And let me tell you, that is HELL for me!

Cincysweetie, maybe we can encourage each other (it looks like we have same/similar weaknesses).:)

candie19

This might sound crazy..... but I am giving up LHCF.:crying3:

This site is very addictive and I am here at least 6 times a day. If I don't check in I think I'm missing out on something. My husband says I'm spending more time with you guys than him. You guys are a bad habit and a very BIG sacrifice. This will be a long lent.

Nyambura

surfer girl
candie19 said:
This might sound crazy..... but I am giving up LHCF.:crying3:

This site is very addictive and I am here at least 6 times a day. If I don't check in I think I'm missing out on something. My husband says I'm spending more time with you guys than him. You guys are a bad habit and a very BIG sacrifice. This will be a long lent.

I gave up LHCF for Lent once. It was tough.

ThursdayGirl

not sure... yet... debating 3 things LHCF, junk food (does Bryer's ice cream count as junk food? they use all natural ingredients :sekret: ) and meat.

Dreamn

Chasing the Unicorn
eating out (which ive been doing a lot since i go this new job) and any drink that isn't water. the water thing will be a toughie, i only drink evian, and its sooo expensive. besides, i love snapple and i dont know how im going to do this:confused:

teerama

Hot Mama!
I know I'm giving up soda but not sure what else yet. I didn't realize we only have 2 days left.

It's always hard for me because my birthday falls in lent and I feel really deprived to not have a piece of cake (sweets) or a drink (alcohol) or my favorite meal (steak) on my birthday.

WhipEffectz1

I am going to try and give up sodas which I truly adore and can't seem to get away from. That will be a big accomplishment for me and hopefully I will come out a healthier post Easter and be able to make sodas a thing of the past.

Koreanblaq

Unemployed
I'm not Catholic or even Christian, but I usually give up something for Lent. It's just a good excuse to try to change or break an unhealthy habit, and I can just say "I gave it up for Lent" to avoid having to make lengthy explanations to people. I like the idea of giving up white bread. That might be too hard though :ohwell: I don't drink alot of soda...I told myself I'd give up AIM (it's like crack to me). Maybe I'll stick with that plan. When does Lent start? This Friday?