What Are Your Most Moisturizing Dc Enhancers?

Theresamonet

I've yet to find a deep conditioner that ticked all the boxes for me.
  1. Deeply moisturizing
  2. Makes hair soft/silky to the touch
  3. Slippery enough to (finger) detangle
  4. Silicone free
  5. Long lasting
  6. Budget friendly
  7. Easily accessible
So I've decided to try my hand at transforming an adequate conditioner into the powerhouse I need it to be.

I'm starting with Salon Care Honey Almond Conditioner. It's a super basic chemical conditioner formula. Available at Sally's for $9/gallon. It definitely hits 4, 5, 6, & 7. My plan is to add what I need to crank up the volume on 1-3.

So far to test things out, I've been adding avocado oil and honey. Shea butter will probably go in next. I have some slippery elm and marshmallow root on the way. But what else?

Oceanfox

So far to test things out, I've been adding avocado oil and honey. Shea butter will probably go in next. I have some slippery elm and marshmallow root on the way. But what else?

Sounds like a good plan. Report back when you find the holy grail!

Something I like is panthenol in liquid form. I add it to my conditioner because I have a big bottle. But I notice it even more if I add it to my leave-in - makes my hair heavier and swingier.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
I use a rinse out conditioner to DC and I've used these additives:
  • Frac. Coconut Oil, Olive oil, and/or avocado oil- deep conditioning
  • Cetrimonium Chloride - deep conditioning
  • Vegemoist (glycine betaine, a type of humectant) - moisture
  • Fresh Aloe Vera Gel - moisture, slip, silkiness
  • Marshmallow Root and Slippery Elm Tea - slip
  • Ayurvedic Herbs (Brahmi and Amla)- shine and silkiness
Currently, I only use infused oil and ayurvedic herbs. Its easier to make these enhancers ahead of time and use as needed. I buy conditioners with cetrimonium chloride in the ingredients.

abioni

Please tell me more about Cetrimonium Chloride. I have been thinking of making my own moisturizing deep conditioner.

I use a rinse out conditioner to DC and I've used these additives:
  • Frac. Coconut Oil, Olive oil, and/or avocado oil- deep conditioning
  • Cetrimonium Chloride - deep conditioning
  • Vegemoist (glycine betaine, a type of humectant) - moisture
  • Fresh Aloe Vera Gel - moisture, slip, silkiness
  • Marshmallow Root and Slippery Elm Tea - slip
  • Ayurvedic Herbs (Brahmi and Amla)- shine and silkiness
Currently, I only use infused oil and ayurvedic herbs. Its easier to make these enhancers ahead of time and use as needed. I buy conditioners with cetrimonium chloride in the ingredients.

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
I add:

Sometimes I add other oils like Almond oil.

Rice Bran Oil is a great replacement for Wheat Germ Oil. It has a longer shelf life and also contains ceramides.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
Please tell me more about Cetrimonium Chloride. I have been thinking of making my own moisturizing deep conditioner.

Cetrimonium Chloride is a quarternary cationic surfactant (I had to look that up again :look:) like BTMS and Behentrimonium Chloride. Unlike BTMS and other cationic conditioners, it doesn't stick to the hair as tightly, so I get less build up when I use it. Cetrimonium chloride may also be able to penetrate the hair strands, making it an effective deep conditioner (Science-y Hair Blog post on that). I've seen cetrimonium chloride in liquid detanglers, but I wouldn't suggest using it alone for slip in a deep conditioner. BTMS or a slippery additive like aloe gel or marshmallow tea is better, IMO. When making a conditioner with it, you shouldn't need more than 3-5% to be effective.

Theresamonet

I add:

Sometimes I add other oils like Almond oil.

Thanks for the links. I have some SAA around this house somewhere, but it might be about 10 years old. :look: What's the shelf life on this stuff?

Adding Honeyquat to my list. How much do you think you add to your mix per ounce?

ETA: 12-18mos is the shelf life of SAA. :lol: I'll reorder. I need to toss this hydrolyzed oat protein that's been sitting around for years.

Last edited:

Theresamonet

Cetrimonium Chloride is a quarternary cationic surfactant (I had to look that up again :look:) like BTMS and Behentrimonium Chloride. Unlike BTMS and other cationic conditioners, it doesn't stick to the hair as tightly, so I get less build up when I use it. Cetrimonium chloride may also be able to penetrate the hair strands, making it an effective deep conditioner (Science-y Hair Blog post on that). I've seen cetrimonium chloride in liquid detanglers, but I wouldn't suggest using it alone for slip in a deep conditioner. BTMS or a slippery additive like aloe gel or marshmallow tea is better, IMO. When making a conditioner with it, you shouldn't need more than 3-5% to be effective.

I know my hair likes BTMS and Cetrimonium Chloride. I searched really hard for a base that had one of those two as a top ingredient. But I couldn't find one in gallon size that I thought was cheap enough for my experimentation.

My Salon Care base has Stearalkonium Chloride as the 3rd ingredient, which I thought would suffice. I may still get some BTMS-25 or 50 to add to it.

I like to add:
Vegetable glycerin
Aloe Vera gel, juice, or powder

I want to try:
BTMS 50

Last edited:

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
I add Sally’s Generic Matrix Conditioning Balm to my Shea Moisture High Porosity Mask ($6.69 @ Target.com) to beef up moisture.

My next experiment is to start adding in powders (amla, aloe, etc)

Theresamonet

Oh my worddd :eek: What happened? I only heard good things. :spinning:

I had recently big chopped for the first time when that thread was started. I thought my hair was feeling dry, so I decided to try it. I put 1 tsp of salt in 8 oz of conditioner, and left it on for 2 hours, just as the op had done. When I rinsed my hair, every drop of moisture was zapped from my strands. It took ages to get my moisture level back up, but not before the dryness lead to breakage.

I mentioned how it dried my hair in this thread, and a few other members chimed in that it felt clarifying for them.

https://longhaircareforum.com/threads/salt-conditioner-clean-moisturized-hair.422944/#post-9493300

abioni

I don't really measure it. I just splash some into my deep conditioner, about two teaspoons.

Thanks for the links. I have some SAA around this house somewhere, but it might be about 10 years old. :look: What's the shelf life on this stuff?

Adding Honeyquat to my list. How much do you think you add to your mix per ounce?

ETA: 12-18mos is the shelf life of SAA. :lol: I'll reorder. I need to toss this hydrolyzed oat protein that's been sitting around for years.

PJaye

A long, long, long time ago, I used to make my own mixtures and add things to my products for greater oomph. These were the percentages recommended for 16oz formulations:

Honeyquat - no more than 5% or 2 tbsps
Wheat Protein - 1 to 5%
Panthenol - 5% for rinse-off formulations; less than 5% for leave-in/on formulations (soluble in water or glycerin)
Glycerin - 2 to 5%
SAA - 1 to 2.5%
Essential Oils - 2% for leave-in/on formulations; up to a 5 to 10% dilution for rinse-off formulations (2% dilution = 2 tsps; always add essential oils to a carrier oil first prior to including it into a mixture)

FWIW, I eventually nixed the honeyquat and glycerin in favor of honey or agave. Be sure to balance the sugars in the honey out with a good stabilizer, such as a preferred carrier oil.

Theresamonet

A long, long, long time ago, I used to make my own mixtures and add things to my products for greater oomph. These were the percentages recommended for 16oz formulations:

Honeyquat - no more than 5% or 2 tbsps
Wheat Protein - 1 to 5%
Panthenol - 5% for rinse-off formulations; less than 5% for leave-in/on formulations (soluble in water or glycerin)
Glycerin - 2 to 5%
SAA - 1 to 2.5%
Essential Oils - 2% for leave-in/on formulations; up to a 5 to 10% dilution for rinse-off formulations (2% dilution = 2 tsps; always add essential oils to a carrier oil first prior to including it into a mixture)

FWIW, I eventually nixed the honeyquat and glycerin in favor of honey or agave. Be sure to balance the sugars in the honey out with a good stabilizer, such as a preferred carrier oil.

Thanks for this! Why did you switch the honeyquat out for honey/agave?

ETA: @PJaye :poke"

Last edited:

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
I've yet to find a deep conditioner that ticked all the boxes for me.
  1. Deeply moisturizing
  2. Makes hair soft/silky to the touch
  3. Slippery enough to (finger) detangle
  4. Silicone free
  5. Long lasting
  6. Budget friendly
  7. Easily accessible
So I've decided to try my hand at transforming an adequate conditioner into the powerhouse I need it to be.

I'm starting with Salon Care Honey Almond Conditioner. It's a super basic chemical conditioner formula. Available at Sally's for $9/gallon. It definitely hits 4, 5, 6, & 7. My plan is to add what I need to crank up the volume on 1-3.

I rescind everything I said

I tried a $6 sample (enough for 2 treatments) of Belle Bar Organic Wikaiki Mask and GUUURRRRLLLLLLLLL!!!!!

I never in my entire life I can remember conditioners my hair feeling this moisture EVEN after washing it out.

I scooped enough of my favorite hair conditioner into a mini bowl and added 2 teaspoons of Wikaiki into it.

I applied it to my hair and thought ok. This has incredible slip but so does the conditioner. I sat under a hooded dry for 30 mins, let my hair cool for 15 mins (High Porosity hair trick I learned) and rinsed our the treatment with warm/cool water

My hair (after washing out the treatment) felt like BUTTA. My hair felt so hydrated. This is my first time trying this company out. From my scalp to my ends, my hair was jam packed with moisture.

Not sure if it was the product alone but that’s the only thing new I added into my regimen to give me moisture. To test this moisture, I installed curlformers. I was able to run a fine tooth comb thru each section w/no effort.

$6 for 1 sample and $3 for each additional sample. I would be at waist length had I known about this company years ago.

Theresamonet

I tried a $6 sample (enough for 2 treatments) of Belle Bar Organic Wikaiki Mask and GUUURRRRLLLLLLLLL!!!!!

I never in my entire life I can remember conditioners my hair feeling this moisture EVEN after washing it out.

I scooped enough of my favorite hair conditioner into a mini bowl and added 2 teaspoons of Wikaiki into it.

I applied it to my hair and thought ok. This has incredible slip but so does the conditioner. I sat under a hooded dry for 30 mins, let my hair cool for 15 mins (High Porosity hair trick I learned) and rinsed our the treatment with warm/cool water

My hair (after washing out the treatment) felt like BUTTA. My hair felt so hydrated. This is my first time trying this company out. From my scalp to my ends, my hair was jam packed with moisture.

Not sure if it was the product alone but that’s the only thing new I added into my regimen to give me moisture. To test this moisture, I installed curlformers. I was able to run a fine tooth comb thru each section w/no effort.

$6 for 1 sample and $3 for each additional sample. I would be at waist length had I known about this company years ago.

Wow. Thanks for the review! What conditioner did you mix it with?

IMG_1374.jpg

I have most of these ingredients except the cactus and the pumpkin. I may be able to whip up my own batch. :scratchchin: Is the mask in powder form or is it a paste?

YvetteWithJoy

On break

Please let me know if this works again for you two more times. If so, please tag me. I will purchase. :smile:

Theresamonet

I apologize for the late reply (you can stop poking me now; it's rude to abuse the elderly:lol:). I replaced the honeyquat because the honey/agave gave me a truly moisturized feel - my hair was soft, smooth, juicy and bursting with moisture.

:lol:

Thank you!

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Glad I found this thread. My ends have been crispy dry and looking like they want to walk away at any minute. I was having a tiny bit of breakage but I did a Aphogee 2 step treatment and followed with the balancing moisturizer but it's not really doing anything. I'm going to add some honey and avocado oil to my cowash tonight.