What are your suggested hair care regimens?....

jh1581

Hi all,

I just got my hair cut into a shoulder length bob with side swept bangs (think Nicole Richie when she had a bob...it looks exactly like that) because I had breakage from using Phytospecific relaxer several months ago and the lower half of my hair was really thin and broken off (I had hair down to my shoulder blades before).

I was sad to see the hair go because up until the time it broke, I had always received compliments on how pretty my hair was.

But I love the cut and I'd rather have shorter healthier hair than long scraggly hair. I'm looking foward to it growing out healthy and evenly.

So I'm starting fresh and want to do everything I can to maintain the current health of my hair and wanted to ask you all for your suggested regimens.

Here's what I had in mind.

1.) Pre-poo tx: warm olive oil/coconut oil/rosemary oil mix massaged into the scalp left on for several minutes prior to shampooing (I have had problems with a flaky scalp in the last several months).

2.) Shampoo with Nizoral dandruff shampoo and a moisturizing shampoo (ex: Paul Mitchell Instant Moisture Daily Shampoo).

3.) Protein tx (possibly Nexxus Emergencee) followed by a moisturizing conditioner (i.e. Bumble and Bumble Super Rich conditioner, Bumble and Bumble Deeep Conditioner).........or should I just use ORS Pak alone??

4.) Leave-in products (i.e. heat protectant, conditioning products etc).

What do you all suggest? Product that you use added in would be much appreciated. What alterations should I do to my own suggested regimen?

I wash my hair about once every 4-5 days and I have coarse, thick, dry (without the use of products) 4a/b hair.

Thank you!!!!!

silverlotus

One suggestion is not to use a protein treatment like Emergencee every wash. Just stick to moisturizing d/cs and do protein treatments as needed, depending on the condition/feel of your hair. It is very easy to overdo protein.

Candy_C

One suggestion is not to use a protein treatment like Emergencee every wash. Just stick to moisturizing d/cs and do protein treatments as needed, depending on the condition/feel of your hair. It is very easy to overdo protein.

agreed

actually i think hardcore protein recons should only be used before a chemical service

many products and oils and powders these days contai nenough natural protein to protect the hair

Candy_C

Hi all,

I just got my hair cut into a shoulder length bob with side swept bangs (think Nicole Richie when she had a bob...it looks exactly like that) because I had breakage from using Phytospecific relaxer several months ago and the lower half of my hair was really thin and broken off (I had hair down to my shoulder blades before).

I was sad to see the hair go because up until the time it broke, I had always received compliments on how pretty my hair was.

But I love the cut and I'd rather have shorter healthier hair than long scraggly hair. I'm looking foward to it growing out healthy and evenly.

So I'm starting fresh and want to do everything I can to maintain the current health of my hair and wanted to ask you all for your suggested regimens.

Here's what I had in mind.

1.) Pre-poo tx: warm olive oil/coconut oil/rosemary oil mix massaged into the scalp left on for several minutes prior to shampooing (I have had problems with a flaky scalp in the last several months).

2.) Shampoo with Nizoral dandruff shampoo and a moisturizing shampoo (ex: Paul Mitchell Instant Moisture Daily Shampoo).

3.) Protein tx (possibly Nexxus Emergencee) followed by a moisturizing conditioner (i.e. Bumble and Bumble Super Rich conditioner, Bumble and Bumble Deeep Conditioner).........or should I just use ORS Pak alone??

4.) Leave-in products (i.e. heat protectant, conditioning products etc).

What do you all suggest? Product that you use added in would be much appreciated. What alterations should I do to my own suggested regimen?

I wash my hair about once every 4-5 days and I have coarse, thick, dry (without the use of products) 4a/b hair.

Thank you!!!!!

please throw the nizoral shampoo in the bin. this will contribute to dryness and will not cure your scalp issues.

use massaging and herbal oils to combat this problem as this can seriously dry out your hair

jh1581

are you moisturizing with during the week?

First of all, thank you so much for the responses!!!! :yawn: I'm a newbie here, and so far, I love this place!!! :yep:

During the week, I put coconut oil on my ends (particularly before going to bed), or I put a little Ojon in my hands, rub them together and apply it to my hair. I also use a water-based cream moisturizer made by John Frieda (I forget the name, but it's specifically for dry hair).

Thanks for the suggestions about the protein. I'll make sure not to use it except when needed, particularly before chemical treatments or once a month or so.

I admit that I haven't been deep conditioning in the past so it's something I'm determined to work on (I was using Paul Mitchell Supercharged Moisturizer or Paul Mitchell Detangler--which I love--in the shower after washing). What are you all's suggestions for a deep conditioner that I can sit under the dryer with for 20 minutes or so when I wash my hair? Is ORS Pak a good one to use weekly?

silverlotus

You should start using the water-based moisturizer every day & then apply the coconut oil (or any other oil) or the Ojon to seal in the moisture. Oil alone cannot moisturize hair.

I haven't tried any of the other ones you mentioned, but the ORS Pak is a good d/c. Lots of ladies on the board love it. The only thing is you will need to clarify ever so often (like every 4-6 weeks) b/c of the cones in it. HTH!

First of all, thank you so much for the responses!!!! :yawn: I'm a newbie here, and so far, I love this place!!! :yep:

During the week, I put coconut oil on my ends (particularly before going to bed), or I put a little Ojon in my hands, rub them together and apply it to my hair. I also use a water-based cream moisturizer made by John Frieda (I forget the name, but it's specifically for dry hair).

Thanks for the suggestions about the protein. I'll make sure not to use it except when needed, particularly before chemical treatments or once a month or so.

I admit that I haven't been deep conditioning in the past so it's something I'm determined to work on (I was using Paul Mitchell Supercharged Moisturizer or Paul Mitchell Detangler--which I love--in the shower after washing). What are you all's suggestions for a deep conditioner that I can sit under the dryer with for 20 minutes or so when I wash my hair? Is ORS Pak a good one to use weekly?

Artemis

I love PMSC :lick:!!!! It's perfect for DCs. I use it every week under the dryer for 15-20 min. Never fails, it's a staple :yep: