What "Black" Hair Products do white folks use?

Kimberly

Also, when I was at BCT, we had a girl with probably waist-length hair but it was real thick, and curly so it was hard to tell and she came up to me one day and asked me if I had any hair grease. Now, why exactly would she think that I might have some hair grease? Anyway, I didn't but I did have some carrot oil, some Africa's Best oil, some coconut oil and a few other (I had stocked up because I knew I was going to be away for a while). She took those and came back later with tamer looking hair, not as poofy.

aminata

Alberto-Culver VO5 = TCB grease in the jar.--Same stuff different packaging for "white" products and "black" products.

So I imagine there are a lot more of the same products--just different packaging and marketing.

carameldiva

i have a few white friends at work that swear by pink oil moisturizer- now i personally would never use that ish but if it works for them that's cool with me. I also purchase some trader joe's castile soap (peppermint) and shared with my white friend and she loved it just as much as i did.

sprungonhairboards

It's so funny everybody is saying CON. Love that stuff! My grandmother used it when I was little and it's still the bomb. I always thought of CON as a white shampoo until they started marketing it directly to blacks a few years ago when they found out we were using it. I bet if we really knew how many white/other races use relaxers we'd be shocked. It's easy to assume they have naturally straight hair but many of them relax.

MsCounsel

My 2 cents.... I have a lot of white friends with different types of hair textures. It's not the color of the person but the type of hair that they have. Just like all of "us" have varying hair types, so does the rest of the world. If you just look at the threads in our forum some of us with even the same hair type can't use the same product because of our body chemistry. I think companies market products for white and ethnic hair but for the most part the distinctions have nothing to do with race. It's marketing.

bluenude

my roommate last year tried to use some of my cholesteral out of curiousity while i was out of town. i came back and her hair was a greasy mess for days!:lol:

Dee-Licious

bluenude said:
my roommate last year tried to use some of my cholesteral out of curiousity while i was out of town. i came back and her hair was a greasy mess for days!:lol:

Similiar experience.. my roommate tried my Mizani hair sheen and had to wash her hair instantly.. It looked terrible!!

Ariana4000

I know a white family with very curly hair (like the girl from that old show "Felicity") and they used creme of nature shampoo.

The Indian lady who bought Dark and Lovely relaxer may have naturally curly hair that she was blow drying straight. The relaxer simply take the frizz out and made her curls more defined, so she can more easily wear it air dried.

Growing up, my best friend's family (all white) used to use Revlon relaxer to straighten out a bad (too curly) perm. Their mom used to work in a salson and told me that I wouldn't believe all the white women who came in to get relaxers to combat their frizzy/curly hair.

And yes you can use the perm (the one usually used with rods) to straighten hair. Its a thio based product and instead of putting rods in the hair, you can comb it straight to reduce/remove the curl. Or you can set it on very large rods or plastic curlers to reduce/reshape the curl to a loose wave. I used to do this years ago, but I found it had peroxide and lightened the color of my hair too much, it was also drying, but boy my curls were slamming.

Hair- gotta love it!!!:lol:

Belle Du Jour

I think whites with some "color" in their ancestry are the ones who use the "black" products. Because in my mind, grease would be really heavy for fine, wispy hair. Isn't the reason they generally wash daily to get rid of all the oil their scalps produce?

I've also seen white women buy "black" makeup in the drugstore like Black Radiance and Posner.

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
ravensunshine said:
The Indian lady who bought Dark and Lovely relaxer may have naturally curly hair that she was blow drying straight. The relaxer simply take the frizz out and made her curls more defined, so she can more easily wear it air dried.

Exactly. You cant be sure what her natural pattern is especially if her hair is long. Using a relaxer to bring out her curl def isnt odd to me at all. Thats basically what the curve salon does. Her wavy is probably just tight curls smoothed out. I when I relaxed I never relaxed it bone straight so I could wear curly wash n go's.

balisi

Lovelylocs said:
It makes sense to me. The products marketed towards us should be moisturizing and women with really long hair need as much moisture as they can get for their ends. :yep: Plus, curly haired people can probably benefit from a lot of the products that make our hair thrive. I don't really think of hair as black and white anymore. I think of it in terms of straightness/curliness. Generally, black hair is extremely curly. :yep:
Lovelylocs, I totally agree. For the most part, hair is hair.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I'm not surprised. If the products work for us, why not work for all?:confused: I know some white women with hair more kinkier than mine. I find it funny when they ask me for product recommendations.:lol:

Taya

I remember a cosmetology(white) instructor telling alot of the white students that alota ppl think CON is just for blacks,but how it works wonders for theres. She told em to use a dime or quarter size amount.

Lucia

How else do you explain the Japenese inventing that thermal straightening system, it was over there for a long time before they imported it to the world. Actually most of the world has kinky, curly or wavy hair. I knew a alot of Indians girls and guys who used super relaxers up and down to texturize their kinky curls or to relax it bone straight.

Mestiza

Not long ago, I saw a White lady in Sally's buying products that are marketed to Black people. She had some items from the Silk Elements line.

Mestiza

REConsul said:
My 2 cents.... I have a lot of white friends with different types of hair textures. It's not the color of the person but the type of hair that they have. Just like all of "us" have varying hair types, so does the rest of the world. If you just look at the threads in our forum some of us with even the same hair type can't use the same product because of our body chemistry. I think companies market products for white and ethnic hair but for the most part the distinctions have nothing to do with race. It's marketing.

ITA! :yep: Overall, I think that people will use whatever works for their hair, at least I do.

Mestiza

Lucia said:
How else do you explain the Japenese inventing that thermal straightening system, it was over there for a long time before they imported it to the world. Actually most of the world has kinky, curly or wavy hair. I knew a alot of Indians girls and guys who used super relaxers up and down to texturize their kinky curls or to relax it bone straight.

Excellent point! :clap:

Since you mentioned that, I must say that I'm surprised when I hear people say that all Asians have straight hair. :nono: That's like saying that all Black people have kinky hair, which is not true, either.

asummertyme

My mom uses pink oil, she is PR with type 2 hair, and her hair is just as greasy as it wanna be...lol..she dosent listen to a thing i tell her...lol

lydc

Mestiza said:

Since you mentioned that, I must say that I'm surprised when I hear people say that all Asians have straight hair. :nono: That's like saying that all Black people have kinky hair, which is not true, either.

So true I have come across so many asians with curly to straight up kinky hair.

sbg4evr

My white brother in law loves DAX. He says it is the bomb. Can you imagine a tall lanky white guy using DAX? But then again, he used to make excellent rap videos.

Mestiza

lydc said:
So true I have come across so many asians with curly to straight up kinky hair.
Mestiza said:

:yep: One of my Asian friends from school had very beautiful, curly hair that he used to get teased about, a lot. :(

ChoKitty

My best friend is white..has almost waist length straight red hair..BEAUTIFUL hair. She uses optimum prodicts...and wonder 8 oil