What did Jesus Christ mean?

fine_beauty

Jesus, I Trust In You!
As you sent me into the world, so I sent them into the world.
And I consecrate myself for them, so that they also may be consecrated in truth.
"I pray not only for them, but also for those who will believe in me through their word,
so that they may all be one, as you, Father, are in me and I in you, that they also may be in us, that the world may believe that you sent me.
And I have given them the glory you gave me, so that they may be one, as we are one,

John 17 vs. 18 - 22

In light of the profound Catholic bashing, what did Jesus Christ mean when He uttered this prayer to His Father and our Father?

EssentialGrowth

To correctly assess verses 18-22, we must first evaluate the entire meaning of chapter John 17.

Jesus is basically praying in behalf of his disciples in this chapter. In prayer Jesus acknowledges to his Father: “This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ.” Having finished his assigned work on earth, Jesus now asks to be glorified alongside his Father with the glory he had before the world was.

He has made the Father’s name manifest to his disciples and asks the Father to watch over them ‘on account of His own name.’ He requests the Father, not that they be taken out of the world, but to keep them from the wicked one and to sanctify them by His word of truth. Jesus broadens out his prayer to embrace all those who will yet exercise faith through hearing the word of these disciples, “in order that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in union with me and I am in union with you, that they also may be in union with us, in order that the world may believe that you sent me forth.” He asks that these also may share with him in his heavenly glory, for he has made the Father’s name known to them, that His love may abide in them-- 17:3, 11, 21

Though I am unsure what kind of correlation you are hoping to establish between this scripture and the supposed "profound Catholic bashing", I hope I have answered the question you have posed.

fine_beauty

Jesus, I Trust In You!
You're right in reading the passage in its entirety.

However, you are wrong in stating that he is basically praying for his disciples unless you mean all his disciples through the passing of time.
Christ was praying for all who would believe in the salvation he offers via the witnessing of his disciples, aka all christians.

Now, he states 'that they may be one'. When we attack and vilify each other, are we trying to honor the master's prayer, are we trying to let God's will be done?

That in essence is my question.

EssentialGrowth said:
To correctly assess verses 18-22, we must first evaluate the entire meaning of chapter John 17.

Jesus is basically praying in behalf of his disciples in this chapter. In prayer Jesus acknowledges to his Father: “This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ.” Having finished his assigned work on earth, Jesus now asks to be glorified alongside his Father with the glory he had before the world was.

He has made the Father’s name manifest to his disciples and asks the Father to watch over them ‘on account of His own name.’ He requests the Father, not that they be taken out of the world, but to keep them from the wicked one and to sanctify them by His word of truth. Jesus broadens out his prayer to embrace all those who will yet exercise faith through hearing the word of these disciples, “in order that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in union with me and I am in union with you, that they also may be in union with us, in order that the world may believe that you sent me forth.” He asks that these also may share with him in his heavenly glory, for he has made the Father’s name known to them, that His love may abide in them-- 17:3, 11, 21

Though I am unsure what kind of correlation you are hoping to establish between this scripture and the supposed "profound Catholic bashing", I hope I have answered the question you have posed.

EssentialGrowth

fine_beauty said:
You're right in reading the passage in its entirety.

However, you are wrong in stating that he is basically praying for his disciples unless you mean all his disciples through the passing of time.
Christ was praying for all who would believe in the salvation he offers via the witnessing of his disciples, aka all christians.

Now, he states 'that they may be one'. When we attack and vilify each other, are we trying to honor the master's prayer, are we trying to let God's will be done?

That in essence is my question.

So in actuality all you wanted was one's intepretation and was never seeking the meaning of the scripture? Please make yourself clear next time around.

You are assuming that when Jesus states "that they may be one", he is referring to all Christians, which may not necessarily be a viewpoint shared by other Christians. Because I do not share this opinion, I will refrain from answering your question.

fine_beauty

Jesus, I Trust In You!
Personal interpretation vs meaning of the scripture? (***scratching chin in bewilderment***)

You are assuming here that your 'own' interpretation is essentially the meaning of the scripture passage? How is that possible since you are not Jesus Christ?

I made myself clear initially but I'll reiterate. My question is if Our Lord wants us to be one, how is divisiveness and vilification aiding that prayer?

Now we are all different and our uniqueness will cause differences in our view point. That is very acceptable in itself.

EssentialGrowth said:
So in actuality all you wanted was one's intepretation and was never seeking the meaning of the scripture? Please make yourself clear next time around.

You are assuming that when Jesus states "that they may be one", he is referring to all Christians, which may not necessarily be a viewpoint shared by other Christians. Because I do not share this opinion, I will refrain from answering your question.

JenJen2721

fine_beauty said:
As you sent me into the world, so I sent them into the world.
And I consecrate myself for them, so that they also may be consecrated in truth.
"I pray not only for them, but also for those who will believe in me through their word,
so that they may all be one, as you, Father, are in me and I in you, that they also may be in us, that the world may believe that you sent me.
And I have given them the glory you gave me, so that they may be one, as we are one,

John 17 vs. 18 - 22

In light of the profound Catholic bashing, what did Jesus Christ mean when He uttered this prayer to His Father and our Father?

To me, it means that Jesus wants all believers to be on the same accord so that we may shine as lights to the rest of the world.

BlkHoneyLuv2U

While I dont have an answer to your question, I will say that all this bickering back and forth about who is a true believer or no. has no place in God/Jesus. I believe and this is my personal belief, no one has told me nor have I read it anywhere, but I truely believe that in every denomination there is a bit of truth. I firmly dont believe that that no one denomination has all the truth thereby leaving all others out in the cold. God said in His word that He want no one to parish and be lost. I do believe that God has given each denomination a part of His turth but as true believers, we have to come together as TRUE BELIEVER to fully worship Him. I also believe that in time, all who are true followers of Christ will be able to come together to His truth, it wont matter if a person is catholic, methodist, baptist, muslim, jew, pentecostal, or whatever. I just dont believe I serve a God who is as petty as we are. Now thats my two cents and a penny. Lets just do the best we can. Live according to His word, according to His will and we will all be blessed.

JuJuBoo

Child of THE King!
JenJen2721 said:
To me, it means that Jesus wants all believers to be on the same accord so that we may shine as lights to the rest of the world.

ditto...

why is there a mad face next to this post subject? that confused me...

JuJuBoo

Child of THE King!
ladydee36330 said:
While I dont have an answer to your question, I will say that all this bickering back and forth about who is a true believer or no. has no place in God/Jesus. I believe and this is my personal belief, no one has told me nor have I read it anywhere, but I truely believe that in every denomination there is a bit of truth. I firmly dont believe that that no one denomination has all the truth thereby leaving all others out in the cold. God said in His word that He want no one to parish and be lost. I do believe that God has given each denomination a part of His turth but as true believers, we have to come together as TRUE BELIEVER to fully worship Him. I also believe that in time, all who are true followers of Christ will be able to come together to His truth, it wont matter if a person is catholic, methodist, baptist, muslim, jew, pentecostal, or whatever. I just dont believe I serve a God who is as petty as we are. Now thats my two cents and a penny. Lets just do the best we can. Live according to His word, according to His will and we will all be blessed.

common somebody! THANK YOU. That needed to be said.

fine_beauty

Jesus, I Trust In You!
Thanks Jen,

I believe that that is indeed what his prayer was. Thanks for posting.

JenJen2721 said:

pebbles

ladydee36330 said:
While I dont have an answer to your question, I will say that all this bickering back and forth about who is a true believer or no. has no place in God/Jesus.

Agreed. Take heed, ladies. From this point on, I'm going to remove argumentative, pointless comments from this forum. If you have nothing to say or don't wish to comment, don't come here to say that you won't answer or make a comment, just don't! If members cannot help keep the peace on this forum, I will keep it myself. That's not what I would like, but I assure you, that's exactly what I'm going to do.