What did your grandparents eat ???

Aaliyah

Hi Ladies

I'm asking this question because I hear so many stories of parents, aunts and grandmothers who used to have long and healthy hair when they were younger.

My two grandmothers (one has passed away and the other one is living in Surinam) used to have hair past bra strap and they were not popping alot of vitamins and other stuff. They didn't have all these fancy products in the stores but still they had beautiful hair.

The only thing that might be different is the way their diet was: fresh fruit and vegetables, fish, nuts and all the meals were home made and not processed. There were no such things as Macdonalds, KFC, Pizza Hut, doughnuts, family sized bags of potatoe chips etc, etc.

Can this be the reason why so many women (especially those in the west) suffer from all kinds a hair tragedies (not forgetting the perming,blow dryers and other regimens that can damage our hair)?

Hmmmm, just wondering.

Tell me what you think:

- What did your grandparents eat?
- What were their hair regimens?

SVT

[ QUOTE ]
Aaliyah said:
The only thing that might be different is the way their diet was: fresh fruit and vegetables, fish, nuts and all the meals were home made and not processed. There were no such things as Macdonalds, KFC, Pizza Hut, doughnuts, family sized bags of potatoe chips etc, etc.

Can this be the reason why so many women (especially those in the west) suffer from all kinds a hair tragedies (not forgetting the perming,blow dryers and other regimens that can damage our hair)?

Hmmmm, just wondering.

Tell me what you think:

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. The typical western diet lacks enough nutrients to be considered healthy IMO. This is why some have decided to supplement and/or change what foods they eat.

Angelicus

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yep! My grandma (pbuh) was a cosmetologist so that may also have had something to do with her and all seven of her daughters having long, thick hair. They were all rollersetting queens and they had a thing for growing their hair really long, then chopping it all off (what would make me so mad is that their hair would grow right back in one year exactly). My grandma also used mayonnaise on her and her daughters' hair every saturday morning as a deep conditioner (hmmm
i may have to start doing this again). They would throw a fit if you showed them a handheld dryer, it just wasn't allowed in the home. They ate A LOT of greens and fish, I know that much.

Angelicus

4a/b just like me. Their hair tips and techniques were kept a secret for the longest. I am speaking of my father's mother and sisters, which is why my mother had my hair looking like crap (see hair website in link below).

lunalight7

1. They killed the animal they were going to eat that nite
2. They picked the fruits and veggies they were going to eat that day (cant get fresher than that!)
3. Used little to no heat.
4. Used natural products on skin and hair

By the time we get our "fresh" meat and produce, who knows what hormones and junk have been injected into them.