What do u consider NORMAL BREAKAGE?

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made

Now that Im doing the BUN challenge
, I had a little breakage (some shedding) when combing my wet hair into a bun. I let it airdry and dont touch it anymore til my next wash. I had about 10-15 hairs on my wide tooth comb after I'm done detangling and putting it up in the bun. I'm afraid that Im not retaining length with this breakage...

Possible causes...I think its from coloring my hair Sunday and I havent had a protein treatment since May (I'm going to do one this Sunday if I have time)...

1. So I was wondering if the breakage will get less afterwhile???
2. Or, should I airdry my hair in a different style (like a ponytail or two braids) then put it in a bun???
3. What do u consider NORMAL BREAKAGE...is 10-15 hairs okay after everytime I comb???

(Putting my hair in a bun with just my hands and fingers is NOT an option for me because my hair is still matted/tangled after fingercombing and would have more breakage putting matted/tangled hair into a bun).

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Leslie_C

good question, Poohbear.
I have been wondering what is normal too. I mean a certain amount has to be inevitable(sp?). I am getting frustrated bc I seem to lose the most hair when I manipulate it, especially when its wet so that makes me wonder if I should just not handle it at all unless necessary for a while.
Also though, I think certain ppl just shed more naturally than others. If it makes you feel better, Adrienne from this board, with the beautiful nearly waist length hair sheds quite a bit on a regular basis. She says she has never been one of those people with 5 and 7 hairs in her comb after detangling, etc. I lose a small ball of hair, about half the size of a cotton ball, sometimes more, when I comb my hair. I have no idea if its normal or excessive. But every time I comb my hair I lose at least a few strands. Im paranoid that Im either going to get serious thinning or serious breakage, neither of which are good for gaining and retaining length.

Since so many others have had good experiences with frequen co washing, I would like to try it, but Im afraid the extra manipulation would make mine worse instead of better. but they claim it helps with shedding,etc. Is this what you are doing? Currently I wash once a week, sometimes twice.

NubianAngel

Why do people use the word shedding interchangeably with breakage? Poohbear is your hair breakage off at the ends or is it shedding? I think that some shedding is normal and the hair gets replaced as part of the natural growth cycle. Especially if you don't manipulate your hair daily...the dead hair has to go somewhere.

Leslie_C

I think its because most ppl get a little of both. Most of the hairs are long, but some dont have the bulb on them and a few are short. Is a small amount of breakage normal as well?

Tracy

good point nubian....

If its shedding, 5O to 1OO hairs a day are normal. Breakagewise there is no norm but there is NO SUCH thing as a head of hair with absolutely NO breakage whatsoever. Even hair that is not chemically processed breaks. The idea is the minimize EXCESSIVE breakage. Tons of hairs in your brush, in the comb, on the sink when you style. Sweeping the bathroom after you style. Thats bad breakage.

Additionally poohbear, if Im not mistaken and what you did was a rinse, that is NOT what is causing your breakage. Most rinses are contain quite a bit of protein and do not require a protein treatment after application for any reason.

And if youre still trying to comb all the way through the hair to style it that may well be the cause of the breakage you are experiencing. Lose the comb. Try brushing your edges and the toplayer of your hair into place. As you can see for so many of the people on the bun challenge and who generally choose to use minimal manipulation and protective styling to retain length, thats how its done. The top layer only. There is no need to comb clear through the hair everytime its styled.

Good Luck!

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
Leslie_C said:
good question, Poohbear.
I have been wondering what is normal too. I mean a certain amount has to be inevitable(sp?). I am getting frustrated bc I seem to lose the most hair when I manipulate it, especially when its wet so that makes me wonder if I should just not handle it at all unless necessary for a while.
Also though, I think certain ppl just shed more naturally than others. If it makes you feel better, Adrienne from this board, with the beautiful nearly waist length hair sheds quite a bit on a regular basis. She says she has never been one of those people with 5 and 7 hairs in her comb after detangling, etc. I lose a small ball of hair, about half the size of a cotton ball, sometimes more, when I comb my hair. I have no idea if its normal or excessive. But every time I comb my hair I lose at least a few strands. Im paranoid that Im either going to get serious thinning or serious breakage, neither of which are good for gaining and retaining length.

Since so many others have had good experiences with frequen co washing, I would like to try it, but Im afraid the extra manipulation would make mine worse instead of better. but they claim it helps with shedding,etc. Is this what you are doing? Currently I wash once a week, sometimes twice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have changed up my regime for this bun method...this is my plan...

Since I exercise every other day, i plan to do conidtioner-washes on those days I exercise when I take my shower...I'll shampoo once a week...
Since my hair is color-treated and fine textured, I plan on doing a protein treatment once a week (I haven't done one so I think it may help with my breakage).

I also want to moisturize my hair once a day but would that be too much manipulation re-doing the bun each day...I have also been reading about bun regimes and see that most re-do their bun every morning and moisturize. I wonder if they experience breakage then.

Also, were u saying Adrienne or you gets a small ball of hair after combing wet hair?

NubianAngel

[ QUOTE ]
Leslie_C said:
Is a small amount of breakage normal as well?

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that I am curious about. Ideally zero breakage is optimal, but with the different things we do to our hair, it may be an issue of knowing when breakage is unavoidable given your styling choices, and when breakage is excessive and going to cause a problem in length retention.

I know in my case, it's impossible for me to blowdry my hair and not see any breakage at all. I kinda have a good idea what's normal breakage and normal shedding for me, and what's not.

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
NubianAngel said:
Why do people use the word shedding interchangeably with breakage? Poohbear is your hair breakage off at the ends or is it shedding? I think that some shedding is normal and the hair gets replaced as part of the natural growth cycle. Especially if you don't manipulate your hair daily...the dead hair has to go somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

HOW DID I USE IT INTERCHANGEABLY???!!! I did not... I said I had breakage AND some shedding...I KNOW the difference. I know it's shedding when there's a little white ball at the end and I know its breakage when it looks torn. OK?

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:
If its shedding, 5O to 1OO hairs a day are normal. Breakagewise there is no norm but there is NO SUCH thing as a head of hair with absolutely NO breakage whatsoever. Even hair that is not chemically processed breaks. The idea is the minimize EXCESSIVE breakage. Tons of hairs in your brush, in the comb, on the sink when you style. Sweeping the bathroom after you style. Thats bad breakage.

Additionally poohbear, if Im not mistaken and what you did was a rinse, that is NOT what is causing your breakage. Most rinses are contain quite a bit of protein and do not require a protein treatment after application for any reason.

And if youre still trying to comb all the way through the hair to style it that may well be the cause of the breakage you are experiencing. Lose the comb. Try brushing your edges and the toplayer of your hair into place. As you can see for so many of the people on the bun challenge and who generally choose to use minimal manipulation and protective styling to retain length, thats how its done. The top layer only. There is no need to comb clear through the hair everytime its styled.

Good Luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh okay...so the breakage isnt from doing the semi-color, thanks for your great advice Tracy
...but I didnt say I want NO breakage at all because I know thats impossible. I just want to minimize it like u said. I'll try just smoothing the top part only next time and not use the comb so much (only use it to detangle)...I also do NOT think breakage and shedding are the same thing...

Tracy

What youre getting IS minimal. If you want to reduce it even more stop trying to detangle every time you do something to your hair, esp if youre wearing it up and aridrying. You only need to detangle once, when you wash. That can be done a using the force of the water from your shower.

NubianAngel

Poohbear, you mentioned having a little breakage put some shedding in parentheses, and you proceeded to inquire about the 10-15 hairs in your comb daily. I asked a general question since I do notice people using the words interchangeably, and was unclear from the description about the nature of the 10-15 hairs you were finding in your comb daily (which is why I simply asked you if it was shedding or breakage from the ends). I am glad that you know the difference... never said that you didn't. I did seek clarification on which was causing your problem.

Good luck with your hair...

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
NubianAngel said:
Poohbear, you mentioned having a little breakage put some shedding in parentheses, and you proceeded to inquire about the 10-15 hairs in your comb daily. I asked a general question since I do notice people using the words interchangeably, and was unclear from the description about the nature of the 10-15 hairs you were finding in your comb daily (which is why I simply asked you if it was shedding or breakage from the ends). I am glad that you know the difference... never said that you didn't. I did seek clarification on which was causing your problem.

Good luck with your hair...

[/ QUOTE ]

ok...i know what i posted...but about the nature of the 10-15 hairs on my comb-- there was both breakage and shedding. After reading Tracy's post, I really dont think I have anything to worry about, as long as the BREAKAGE stays at a minimum...