What do u want from a salon?

sweetpeadst

Tell me all the things u would want from a salon u frequent? I know alot of LHCF ladies have fired their stylist, but if u were to ever go back to a salon what would u want or not want? What would u want to see productwise (professional lines)?

LushLox

Professionalism
Knowledge
Technique and skill
and very importantly.
an effective communicator

theprototype

1) Respect for my time - My hairdresser is always running at LEAST 30-45 mins late on her appointments. Thank God I only go 3-4 times a year.

2) Respect for my decision to stretch my relaxers

Starronda

At the start of BSL! Patiently waiting for full❤️
Knowledge of "proper" haircare
consulation on my hair goal
Stop asking if I want my hair trimmed..Answer is always no..I can do that myself
Respect my time and not have me wait so long

ebonyhair

Respect my decision to only dust and not give me a halle berry cut and call it a trim!!!:perplexedThinking of writing up a contract for my stylist to sign the next time I go get my hair dusted. :lachen:

Chromia

I agree with respect for time. If I'm on time or early for my appointment then I shouldn't have to wait until 15-60+ minutes after my appointment was scheduled for the stylist to start on my hair.

Same goes for when the dryer clicks off and my hair is dry. The stylist should be ready for me instead of keeping me waiting.

Ladies who relax shouldn't have to deal with a stylist arguing with them or pressuring them to get a touch-up sooner than they want.

Stylists shouldn't pressure a client to do anything the client doesn't want to do - trim, relax, whatever.

Also, stylists shouldn't talk on the phone while they're doing hair. If a stylist has to take an urgent call he/she should step away, make it quick and hang up, then finish working on the client's hair.

Also, don't make the client wait while you have a meal or a snack.

AVE One

1) Respect for my time - My hairdresser is always running at LEAST 30-45 mins late on her appointments. Thank God I only go 3-4 times a year.

These two are at the top of my list! Also, a hair care professional that is in my hair more than their assistant is.

Keedah

I know a lot of black salons dont do this but having a seperate shampoo person helps on time tremendously. That way the stylist can focus on styling. I havnt been to the salon in ages but when I went last month there was a shampoo guy. He also took out rollersets, checked if you were dry under the dryer ect.

locabouthair

Rinse the relaxer out of my hair properly
Be gentle when combing
Don't pressure me to relax at 6 weeks
Dont overlap the relaxer

andromeda

Professionalism
Knowledge
Technique and skill
and very importantly.

ditto. respect for time is also a big must.

Salon Cabello on YouTube exemplifies my ideal salon philosophy. I think it's good business sense and customer service to "teach your clients how to fish", so to speak, instead of having them be stylist-dependent and knowledge-bereft.

Stylists should also give clients a basic hair diagnostic - what are the defficiences of the client's hair and at-home regimen.

Also, stylists should be able to interpret, not just copy, popular cuts and styles to fit their clients. I want Nicole Ritchie's cut. I don't have her face or lifestyle. The stylist should be able to modify a cut to fit my features and to be versatile enough to fit my lifestyle.

LushLox

^^^ Agreed, she to me truly personifies what I would deem to be a professional hairdresser.

bluediamond0829

Hey SweetpeaDST--how are u hun? Did u finish cosmetology school? Congrats

Well what im looking for is not just a person that can do hair but a healthy hair care stylist...

**I want someone to be able to suggest healthy haircare methods and practice them.
**Someone that can teach me and tell me what products i should use in my hair if im not able to get to the salon all the time(money can be tight at times)...or basically things that i can continue to do while im at home(vitamins to take etc)
**Not someone that just tries to push things off on me and suggest things only because they want to get more $$ out of my pocket.
**I want someone that is knowledgeable and that also has healthy hair themselves..
**someone that is not scissor happy

Tarae

Since I do most of my hair stuff myself, I only go for rollersets occasionally. I just want them to detangle my hair properly.

The last two times I went to a salon, they had no idea how to detangle my hair. I think the way they washed my hair caused all the tangles in the first place since I detangled at home. I think I'll stick to DIY because I shouldn't have to tell a stylist how to detangle my hair.

fattyfatfat

I agree with the ladies who said that they want a salon/stylist who understands that a trim is only a TRIM, a dusting is only a DUSTING, etc. It really hurt my hairs feelings when it got CHOPPED off when all I asked for was a trim. The stylist repeated me and said "just the ends right"? in the end stylist basically did what she wanted. *wipes away tears* That was the last time I ever went to that salon.

I also would like for a salon to not pressure or nag someone to get a touch up, when they dont want one or need one. It becomes annoying and I stopped going to a salon because of this.

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
My stylist rules are:

1. Don't waste my time. You can't run a business and be taking your time, eating snacks, laughing with the guy who came to sell perfume, taking a nap (That actually happened once, and I walked out with my hair still wet :wallbash:), having a dance-off, doing all kinds of nonsense. I paid you to do my damn hair, so do it.

2. Don't be stingy with the scalp base. It's a big old tub of vaseline. You can buy vaseline for 99ct anywhere, there is no need to hoard it. Base my scalp like you mean it. I don't know how many times I have had to physically snatch the tub away and base my own scalp, because the lady was trying to play.

3. Don't overlap the relaxer.

4. DON'T BURN ME!! If I tell you that the relaxer is done, don't tell me to give you five more minutes, three more minutes, one second, don't tell me anything. There is a caustic chemical on my head, eating away at my scalp and hair, you better get over here and wash it out when I say. And wash it out well. Don't just splash some water around. WASH IT.

5. Don't. trim. my. hair. One stylist kept on trying to come at me with some scissors. I usually keep my eyes in the mirror, but whenever I wasn't looking, she'd be trying to reach for the scissors. I would tell her NO TRIM, and she'd be like....okay, sorry sorry. :yep: But then two minutes later, she'd be sliding her hand to her toolbelt for the damn scissors. I felt like a baby zebra being stalked by a lion. :nono:

6. Don't argue with me. If I bring my own wide-tooth com for you to detangle with, then don't tell me that a fine tooth comb is better. Just take my comb and use it. If I ask for a rollerset, no blow-out, then don't tell me that a blow-dry is better, and then start reaching for the blowdryer. I know what is good for my hair, just do what I ask.

7. Don't be disrespectful to my hair. Don't call it ugly, don't call it bad. Don't yank it, don't rip it, don't treat it like crap. Or it will be on. :hardslap:

ETA: 8. Don't give me alopecia. When I am getting my hair braided, and I say it's too tight, don't laugh. Don't throw out some tired cliche about beauty and pain and keep braiding, because I will get up and show you what pain really looks like.

Stylists make me so mad. :eek:ffrant:

Last edited:

WaistLengthDreams

Professionalism
Knowledge
Technique and skill
and very importantly.

Exactly! And you wouldn't believe how hard it is to find a salon with at least 2 of these things... It's so sad what we put up with. :nono::nono:

fattyfatfat

I forgot one more thing that pisses me off about salons. PLEASE DONT TALK ABOUT MY HAIR (or other ladies hair) IN ANOTHER LANGUAGE! I mostly go to Dominican salons and we all know that when they want to talk about your hair, they will switch to talking in Spanish. A basic spanish class will help someone to understand that they are talking about your hair, so I dont know why they do it. A girl on youtube posted something about a salon not wanting to do her hair and sending her home. She asked for a translation (sp?) and basically they said she had BAD hair. How awful of them to say that!

LaidBak

1) Cosigning on the respect for our time comments. Be ready for me at our scheduled appointment time. Don't book two other women and take one walk in at the same time as my appointment.

2) When you are cutting my hair face me toward the mirror so I can see what you are doing.

3) Stop overlapping my relaxers

4) If you call your self using a specific relaxer system, use the ENTIRE system with all the bells and whistles. Don't skimp and use only the basic two products because you think I don't know any better.

xcuzememiss

When I ask to turn the blow dryer down. Turn it down. Ands when I ask that you spray heat protectant on every section please do it!!!!!!!

Kranbery

1. Knowing how to work with different types of hair is key. I went to a new salon to get twists and the woman said, "Wow look at her hair, you guys( talking to other stylists) look at her hair." And they came over to look at it. I should have known right there something was wrong.

2. Using quality products and knowing which ones are the best to use for a particular style.

3. Decent prices.

Charlie555

Hire a receptionist. My skin cringes when a styles talks on the phone over my head. A trip to the salon should be treated like a trip to the spa, I'm there to relax not listen to you conversation with people on the phone. :wallbash:

darlingdiva

Professionalism
Knowledge
Technique and skill
and very importantly.

Ditto, plus:

1. Use a wide-toothed comb (most preferably a seamless one).

2. Do a hair assessment before taking me over to the shampoo bowl. Don't use the "one-size-fits-all" method when it comes to caring for my hair.

3. Have a variety of hair products in your salon. Different products work for different people. I should not have to bring products to your shop.

darlingdiva

My stylist rules are:

1. Don't waste my time. You can't run a business and be taking your time, eating snacks, laughing with the guy who came to sell perfume, taking a nap (That actually happened once, and I walked out with my hair still wet :wallbash:), having a dance-off, doing all kinds of nonsense. I paid you to do my damn hair, so do it.

2. Don't be stingy with the scalp base. It's a big old tub of vaseline. You can buy vaseline for 99ct anywhere, there is no need to hoard it. Base my scalp like you mean it. I don't know how many times I have had to physically snatch the tub away and base my own scalp, because the lady was trying to play.

3. Don't overlap the relaxer.

4. DON'T BURN ME!! If I tell you that the relaxer is done, don't tell me to give you five more minutes, three more minutes, one second, don't tell me anything. There is a caustic chemical on my head, eating away at my scalp and hair, you better get over here and wash it out when I say. And wash it out well. Don't just splash some water around. WASH IT.

5. Don't. trim. my. hair. One stylist kept on trying to come at me with some scissors. I usually keep my eyes in the mirror, but whenever I wasn't looking, she'd be trying to reach for the scissors. I would tell her NO TRIM, and she'd be like....okay, sorry sorry. :yep: But then two minutes later, she'd be sliding her hand to her toolbelt for the damn scissors. I felt like a baby zebra being stalked by a lion. :nono:

6. Don't argue with me. If I bring my own wide-tooth com for you to detangle with, then don't tell me that a fine tooth comb is better. Just take my comb and use it. If I ask for a rollerset, no blow-out, then don't tell me that a blow-dry is better, and then start reaching for the blowdryer. I know what is good for my hair, just do what I ask.

7. Don't be disrespectful to my hair. Don't call it ugly, don't call it bad. Don't yank it, don't rip it, don't treat it like crap. Or it will be on. :hardslap:

ETA: 8. Don't give me alopecia. When I am getting my hair braided, and I say it's too tight, don't laugh. Don't throw out some tired cliche about beauty and pain and keep braiding, because I will get up and show you what pain really looks like.

Stylists make me so mad. :eek:ffrant:

That is absolutely ridiculous!!!

fyb87

- Knows what it means to have an appointment.
- Knows how to deal with natural hair.
- Knows that you don't have to use heat.
- Doesn't mind the client bringing their own product(s) if they don't have them.
- Knows that using a fine-tooth comb on ethnic hair is a no no.

mzsophisticated26

Girl you hit it right on the head.. I have reduced my every 2 wks appts to every 2-3mths. I am tired of being there 5-6hrs for a wash n flat iron.