Votes: 655 41.0%
  • Mid-Back Length

Votes: 314 19.6%
  • Tailbone Length

Votes: 59 3.7%

• Total voters

NaturalPath

Pre-board: Between APL and BSL

Post-board: Mid back (Thicker hair), Waist/hip (Finer hair)

I strongly believe thicker hair amplifies length; I have finer hair so BSL (current length) doesnt seem long to me. I would probably have to be at hiplength for me to finally realize my hair is long

Stormy

I used to say APL, but actually SL on me when my hair is thick and healthy looks long, and because I have a small head and I'm very short. I've seen shoulder length look long on others too when their hair is healthy.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
hmmmmmm, alot of women think bsl is long, well im WL and i still dont think i have long hair untill i reach tailbone. and texture has alot to do with length to me.

loulou82

Pre-board: Between APL and BSL

Post-board: Mid back (Thicker hair), Waist/hip (Finer hair)

I strongly believe thicker hair amplifies length; I have finer hair so BSL (current length) doesnt seem long to me. I would probably have to be at hiplength for me to finally realize my hair is long

+1. Thicker hair adds something. I'm fine strand and it played a part in me going natural (my hair looks fuller).

To answer the OP:

Pre-LHCF: APL
Now: MBL

NikkiGirl

I think what I see on others and what I expect of myself distort my view of what is long hair. On others, I think BSL, but I won't feel like my hair is long until it reaches MBL. Maybe I am getting a slight case of hair anorexia. LOL

eurka007

i consider bsl length long hair... and thats for all races.. I just dont really see many women walking around with waist length hair that looks healthy (other than on this forum)

Kash

long hair to me is FULL bsl (not 4 thin, splitting strands barley grazing your hiked-up bra strap) and longer.

Mdmommy99

Apl is long to me but like others have said it depends on how full it is. MY SIL has sl hair that looks long because it is extremely full and even.

Janet'

I voted APL. I see a lot of women who can grow their hair to SL, but getting past SL is a struggle.

From what I have heard (from the knowledgeable ladies on this board), the longest jump is from SL to BSL...so, I would agree with you that getting past SL is a struggle (especially for AA, non-LHCF members). Personally, I have been at shoulder length/clavicle length for 2 to 3 years, which is why I decided to reactivate and get on the ball...grow, grow, grow!

I dont agree.

I think FULL MBL and anything longer than that is long. I see way too many black women with BSL hair. I now think BSL is average. On me... :nono: Maybe Im just hair-norexic but BSL doesnt do it for me anymore. Im striving for waist length for myself.

Let me preface my opinion by saying that where I live (ATL)...full MBL is DEFINITELY NOT an average...neither is BSL. So many young ladies here "fake it till they make it" and their weaved hair may be MBL, while their "real" hair is damaged and broken off (I realize that many ladies on this board use weave as a protective style- so I am certainly not talking about you ladies!)

long hair to me is FULL bsl (not 4 thin, splitting strands barley grazing your hiked-up bra strap) and longer.

:lachen::lachen::lachen: Too funny!!!!

I voted for BSL, however, when I honestly ponder the subject- I think that when I see a woman with full APL, healthy hair- I say to myself, "Self, she has pretty, long hair"...Because I have always had at least shoulder length hair, I do not see it as long (although many people have said to me that "dark skinned" black girls don't generally have that :nono: Whatever!!!! BSL hair to me would be undeniably long (given that it is healthy-because I will take health over length any day).

Last edited:

mEmYSELFaNDj

I used to consider BSL long hair, but now since my hair is nearly Full BSL I can't bring myself to think my hair is long. Other people's BSL looks like long hair, but for some reason my BSL seems short. So I voted for MBL.