What do you desire or want in a Natural Hair Product?

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Here are some missed opportunities, in my opinion.
-Better smells: more clean, fresh scents as opposed to all the vanilla/baked goods.
-Less butters and oils: I wish some of these Black-owned lines had at least one “light range” where they laid off the heavy ingredients.
-Actual holding agents in holding products: Why would you formulate a gel or foam wrap without any fixative ingredients high up on the list? Doesn’t make sense. You can give us the conditioning agents, but you should also be sure the product actually assists in styling, since you’re purporting that this is a styling product.
-Lightweight serums, shine spray, or hairspray: I don’t want to use oil for shine anymore, so give me something that could replace it and make sure it smells great. I also don’t know why most natural brands don’t have a hairspray.

sunshinebeautiful

-Better smells: more clean, fresh scents as opposed to all the vanilla/baked goods.
-Less butters and oils: I wish some of these Black-owned lines had at least one “light range” where they laid off the heavy ingredients.
-Actual holding agents in holding products: Why would you formulate a gel or foam wrap without any fixative ingredients high up on the list? Doesn’t make sense. You can give us the conditioning agents, but you should also be sure the product actually assists in styling, since you’re purporting that this is a styling product.
-Lightweight serums, shine spray, or hairspray: I don’t want to use oil for shine anymore, so give me something that could replace it and make sure it smells great. I also don’t know why most natural brands don’t have a hairspray.

I try to buy Black-owned whenever possible.

I was coming in to mention both of the bolded. My hair has been thriving without the heavy oils and butters. I think this needs to be made a bigger focus, especially for Black-owned brands.

naya_angola369

Hi! I look for products that have clean ingredients, are light on my hair, have slip and are black owned. Using clean products have changed my hair for the best!
Noted! Thank you :) Also, are you able to elaborate on what you mean by clean ingredients? Do you mean natural oils, plants etc and organic ingredients that have no harmful chemicals. I hope that makes sense. All the best!

naya_angola369

Thank you so much! I think some natural hair lines/companies may cater towards customers and clientele that have high porosity hair (which usually needs more protein treatments, deep conditioners, heavy butters and oils etc) and this is not necessarily a bad thing but I may be a bit bias as my hair is high porosity and 4c :D. I may be wrong. Making products that distinguish between low and high porosity hair may help. Or like you said, having a 'light range' but for a range of different hair types and it may be difficult but I think it's possible.

naya_angola369

I was always under the impression that natural hair didn't really need hairspray unless you decided to straighten it or do a natural hair updo that needed to be held in place. I find some hair spray can make my hair quite stiff that's why I tend to avoid them but everyone is different.

naya_angola369

I try to buy Black-owned whenever possible.

I was coming in to mention both of the bolded. My hair has been thriving without the heavy oils and butters. I think this needs to be made a bigger focus, especially for Black-owned brands.
Oh wow, that's interesting. What are your alternatives to heavy oils and butters? And what is your hair type and porosity? if you don't mind me asking. Thank you :)

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
I was always under the impression that natural hair didn't really need hairspray unless you decided to straighten it or do a natural hair updo that needed to be held in place. I find some hair spray can make my hair quite stiff that's why I tend to avoid them but everyone is different.
Everybody’s style arsenal could use some hold or shine and natural hair is no different. A light hold, “brushable”(like Sebastian) hairspray would be great for many of our favorite styles like braid outs. I just think it’d be nice to find a full line of products that also pays attention to styling.

sunshinebeautiful

Oh wow, that's interesting. What are your alternatives to heavy oils and butters? And what is your hair type and porosity? if you don't mind me asking. Thank you :)

I'm a type 4 natural. I used oils and butters for years until I met my current hair stylist. I also suffered from chronically dry hair. I was skeptical at first but she claimed oils and butters block out moisture, especially when shampooing infrequently and/or using products laden with butters. After doing an inventory of all of my products, I literally threw 90% of them out because they *all* had heavy oils and butters, even the shampoos.

She has me on a shampoo, conditioner, wash and go regimen. I use gel to set my curls. My hair has never felt better. The dryness struggle is completely gone. After omitting the oils and butters, and seeing a dramatic turnaround in the health and condition of my hair, I don't plan on using them again. She actually doesn't recommend any of her clients use products with heavy oils/butters - and the hair that comes out of the salon is gorgeous.

IDK my hair's porosity. My stylist also says porosity is not really a "thing" l unless you are chemically treating hair - and in actuality, different hair strands actually have different porosities. However, if I were forced to choose, I suspect I'm somewhere on the low to medium spectrum.

fairylamb

Noted! Thank you :) Also, are you able to elaborate on what you mean by clean ingredients? Do you mean natural oils, plants etc and organic ingredients that have no harmful chemicals. I hope that makes sense. All the best!
You are correct! That's exactly what I meant. I noticed a huge difference when I stopped using cheap products. My hair felt cleaner, it stayed moisturized much longer, and it looked shinier when switching over.

naya_angola369

I'm a type 4 natural. I used oils and butters for years until I met my current hair stylist. I also suffered from chronically dry hair. I was skeptical at first but she claimed oils and butters block out moisture, especially when shampooing infrequently and/or using products laden with butters. After doing an inventory of all of my products, I literally threw 90% of them out because they *all* had heavy oils and butters, even the shampoos.

She has me on a shampoo, conditioner, wash and go regimen. I use gel to set my curls. My hair has never felt better. The dryness struggle is completely gone. After omitting the oils and butters, and seeing a dramatic turnaround in the health and condition of my hair, I don't plan on using them again. She actually doesn't recommend any of her clients use products with heavy oils/butters - and the hair that comes out of the salon is gorgeous.

IDK my hair's porosity. My stylist also says porosity is not really a "thing" l unless you are chemically treating hair - and in actuality, different hair strands actually have different porosities. However, if I were forced to choose, I suspect I'm somewhere on the low to medium spectrum.
Oh wow. I've been using butters and oils for ages also and I never thought they would block out moisture. Need to start vetting my products now :drunk:. I need to do further research into different hair strands having different porosities. Thanks for the inisght!

naya_angola369

Everybody’s style arsenal could use some hold or shine and natural hair is no different. A light hold, “brushable”(like Sebastian) hairspray would be great for many of our favorite styles like braid outs. I just think it’d be nice to find a full line of products that also pays attention to styling.
Noted! thank youu

naya_angola369

If anyone knows someone who would be interested in the forum- tag them (i'm new and idk if that's possible lool). I want everyone to be involved!

sunshinebeautiful

Oh wow. I've been using butters and oils for ages also and I never thought they would block out moisture. Need to start vetting my products now :drunk:. I need to do further research into different hair strands having different porosities. Thanks for the inisght!

I mean, try it out and see. I threw out all of my coconut and castor oils and shea butters and things - and just started using products that have oils/butters down lower in the ingredient list and it's been working. I was super skeptical at first, but after trying it, I was like WOW. OK.

Yup and like my stylist explained to me - just like people have multiple hair types/textures on their head, the same thing happens with porosity.

KaciaLN12

In cleansers, actual cleansing agents and thick lather that provides some slip.
In conditioners, leave-ins and moisturizers, lots of slip and moisture. Also, more loose consistencies.
In styling products, slip and hold. Moisture would be nice, but it’s not essential.

Neomorph

More medicated shampoo/conditioner options

A lot of us naturals suffer from scalp conditions and having a black owned medicated (like zinc pyrithione, salicylic acid, ketaconazole, selenium sulfide) shampoo and conditioner pair would be great. I've used Neutrogena T-gel, As I Am Dry and Itchy Scalp and Nizoral all to great success but they aren't black owned and I'd love to have 100% black owned hair supply stash if at all possible

larry3344

I mean, try it out and see. I threw out all of my coconut and castor oils and shea butters and things - and just started using products that have oils/butters down lower in the ingredient list and it's been working. I was super skeptical at first, but after trying it, I was like WOW. OK.

Yup and like my stylist explained to me - just like people have multiple hair types/textures on their head, the same thing happens with porosity.
What do you use or recommend now

Sarabellam

A natural shampoo that it pH balanced and cleans the scalp well. I want clear follicles with no build up left behind without roughing the hair shaft.

shampoo bars are great but I find that the best ones tend to make my hair shaft feel funny over time. I suspect that this is due to the high pH.

now I’ve settled on using an Ayurvedic mix to loosen debris and support scalp and hair health. Then I follow up with a gentle cleanser to remove any potential build up from the few commercial products that I still use.

naya_angola369

A natural shampoo that it pH balanced and cleans the scalp well. I want clear follicles with no build up left behind without roughing the hair shaft.

shampoo bars are great but I find that the best ones tend to make my hair shaft feel funny over time. I suspect that this is due to the high pH.

now I’ve settled on using an Ayurvedic mix to loosen debris and support scalp and hair health. Then I follow up with a gentle cleanser to remove any potential build up from the few commercial products that I still use.
Thank you for your response :) I'll see what I can do

VictoriousBrownFlower

go back to basics... herbs, humectants, natural proteins (wheat, soy) things like that. Plus it's gotta smell like something fresh clean or fruity not vanilla or coconut.... myhoneychild was the bomb.... their coconut papaya hair paste was my love. the honey hair mask was second. the coconut papaya was just for scent... it smelled the way it sounded like a fruit cocktail... i loved it.. plus it actually worked to moisturize my hair.

for some reason i also really like scents that remind me of those african body oils they sell on 125 in harlem.... mielle organice white peony smells like that and i love it. i get compliments on the smell of my hair all the time.

spacetygrss

Different options for different hair types.
Items packaged in NORMAL packaging and consistansies. I don't like pastes, honeys, teas. For the most part, unless I'm applying henna or deep conditioner, I really just want to squirt my product from a bottle and move on.

Rastafarai

- Conditioners that melt into and not sit on my hair strands
- Water-based leave ins and stylers
- Less butters and more cream-based
- Divine smell

....and I think I found most of these requirements in Tracee's Pattern Beauty line. Every single product I've used thus far have become a staple. Literally floored by how her products have kept my curls popping and lightweight on a consistent basis.