What do you do when shampoo is too "stripping"?

Qualitee

I used trader joe's tea tree tingle shampoo for the first time today and I really like it. I would love it if my hair didn't feel so stripped afterwards:ohwell:
What should I do? Should I dilute the shampoo with water? Should I add oils? I don't want to pre-poo because I use don't like doing it:look: Help!
Although I didn't like the stripped feeling, I love that it didn't tangle my hair, my hair didn't feel dry, the smell wasn't too strong imo and most importantly I loved the tingle:grin:

Here are the ingredients
aqua (purified water) with
*tea tree (melaleucs alternifolia) oil
*peppermint (mentha piperita) oil
*eucalyptus (eucayptus officinalis) oil
*rosemary (rosmarinus officinalis) oil
*nettle (urtica dionica) oil
*thyme (thymus vulgaris) oil
birch leaf (betula alba) oil
*chamomile (anthemis nobilis flower)
*clary (salvia sclarea)
*lavender (lavandula angustifolia)
*coltsfoot leaf (tussilago fargara)
*yarrow (achillea millefolium) oil
*mallow (malva sylvestris)
*horsetail (equisetum arvense) oil
*soybean protein (glycene soja)
C12-14 olefin sulfonate (coconut derived)
Cocamidopropyl Betane
Tocopherol (Vitamin E)
Trace Minerals
Citric Acid (Corn)
Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate
Sodium Chloride (Sea Salt)
Graperfruit Seed (Citrus Derived)

BTW I bought grapeseed oil from TJs:yay: I was super excited that I found it there:look: It was $5 and change for a 17 fl oz bottle....

Last edited:

JJamiah

I'd save it for when I need more of a Clarifying cleaning and get another moisturizing shampoo :look:

Qualitee

I'd save it for when I need more of a Clarifying cleaning and get another moisturizing shampoo :look:

I forgot to add that I like the shampoo because its sulfate free and it really helps with dry scalp, which I have. So Im looking for a way to use it often without the stripping feeling.

glamazon386

I actually like this shampoo but it does clarify the hair hence the stripped feeling. It doesn't make my hair feel stripped but it does make my nose burn much like clarifying shampoos do. Maybe you should follow up with a moisturizing shampoo afterward?

JJamiah

Cool I only use Sulfate Free myself and find occasionally I need to clarify :) but... Have you tried Hair One Tea Tree for dry scalp.

Off topic OP they say that Henna is good for scalp conditions :)

Hmmm I'd try the matching conditioner adding a little to your shampoo, maybe a Jojoba oil added into the shampoo if your not wanting to try anything else.

SORRY just tossing things your way to see if you like any of them :)

Stella B.

If I'm remembering correctly, Chicoro states in one of her newsletters that any shampoo can be softened with the addition of aloe vera juice and oil. The shampoo needs to be diluted with several cups of warm water first, before the aloe and oil are added.

iri9109

dilute it...put a squirt or 2 in a color applicator bottle and fill it up with water and shake it...you can add a little oil too...it makes it really easy to get to your scalp too...i like to do this even if the shampoo isnt strong/stripping.

southerncitygirl

pre-poo with oil and/or conditioner and then shampoo....you don't have to rinse the pre-poo mix out beforehand....my mix right now is tj's tea tre tingle treat condish, aloe vera gel ( whole leaf and food grade)and evco or hot six oil.

Sheena

You can try adding a tablespoon of jojoba oil to the bottle. I did this with Suave Waterfall Mist Shampoo and it worked like a charm. Point to note, the addition of the oil does make the shampoo look "milky" or "creamy", similar to how a moisturising or two-in-one shampoo would look.

Qualitee

Thanks ladies!:kiss:
Cool I only use Sulfate Free myself and find occasionally I need to clarify :) but... Have you tried Hair One Tea Tree for dry scalp.

Off topic OP they say that Henna is good for scalp conditions :)

Hmmm I'd try the matching conditioner adding a little to your shampoo, maybe a Jojoba oil added into the shampoo if your not wanting to try anything else.

SORRY just tossing things your way to see if you like any of them :)
Hey its ok! Thanks for the suggestions. I will try it:yep:

ajargon02

I used trader joe's tea tree tingle shampoo for the first time today and I really like it. I would love it if my hair didn't feel so stripped afterwards:ohwell:
What should I do? Should I dilute the shampoo with water? Should I add oils?

Play around with your mix. Put some poo in a separate cup and experiment :D this way you KNOW what YOUR hair likes, and you don't ruin a bottle of shampoo in the experimentation process.

Here's what I do link found here: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=247447&page=26
Re: Can I ask a DUMB question
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyreal
when you pre poo do you wash the oil out b4 you apply shampoo or do you put the shampoo over the oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amwcah
I'm sure ladies probably do it both ways

YUP! If I have diluted the moisturizing poo (poo= shampoo with filtered water,aloe juice ) then I will just lightly rinse with warm water,then poo starting with the roots/scalp all over then applying more and smoothing down the hair for suds action

~OR~

If I don't have the aloe juice and don't dilute, just using poo at full strength, then I will just apply poo at roots and work down in the same manner. Only adding just a little bit of water, to help work the poo in.

Either way, the poo is less harsh on my hair strands, and it minimizes the use of/ need for conditioner depending on what I am trying to do to my hair after.

This is what works for me :D

Satya_R

I pre-poo with coconut oil, works wonders for me - my hair is nice and clean without the dry stripped feeling. I don't shampoo that often (once every two weeks maybe) but when I do, I use Allafia liquid black soap which isn't all that drying itself.

Amoreofcurls

Shampoo's are supposed to strip, and you are supposed to condition after...you can prepoo to counteract it. I wont use an SLS shampoo if im not DC after...

Honi

There is no board.
If I'm remembering correctly, Chicoro states in one of her newsletters that any shampoo can be softened with the addition of aloe vera juice and oil. The shampoo needs to be diluted with several cups of warm water first, before the aloe and oil are added.

I was going to suggest this. :yep:

Qualitee

Update: I mixed 4 tbls of the trader joe's tea tree tingle shampoo with .25 cup of water and 1 tbl of jojoba oil. It worked really well:yep: My hair didn't have a "stripped" feeling. My hair felt moisturized but most imporantly the mixer didn't water down the peppermint, so I still felt the tingles. Thanks again ladies!