What do you ladies consider "nurture mode?"

IMFOCSD

I have a read a few threads where ladies would talk about hair breakage in certain areas of the head & stated how they were going into nurture mode. I am having issues w/breakage in the crown left side & I would like to do all that I can to overcome & improve this issue. I have already trimmed that area so what's next? & how often?

theprototype

When I hear "nurture mode", I think: DC, moisturize and seal consistently (for me, 2x/day), protein treatments when necessary, protective style.. Basically, just find the source of the problem and fix it.

Has the way you've been styling your hair put stress on the area where you're experiencing the breakage? Has that area been neglected when you condition, moisturize and seal?

sharifeh

When I think nurture, I think upping your DCing and not using things direct heat, relaxers, color, until your hair is better. Using easy styles like buns etc...

IMFOCSD

When I hear "nurture mode", I think: DC, moisturize and seal consistently (for me, 2x/day), protein treatments when necessary, protective style.. Basically, just find the source of the problem and fix it.

Has the way you've been styling your hair put stress on the area where you're experiencing the breakage? Has that area been neglected when you condition, moisturize and seal?

Thanks for responding, I honestly have no clue as to what caused the breakage but about 3 days ago i put a ponytail in my hair & I think it was too tight and the pins were poking me...my scalp was so sore. I took the ponytail out and redid it and it feels so much better..o yeah, I forgot to add that my hair was wet the first time I did the ponytail. I have been protective styling for the past month alternating between ponytails & stocking cap wigs with my hair braided underneath & i would take the wig off dailly & moisturize w/s-curl. I wash & dc weekly with ORS replenishing conditioner. I have not done a hard core protein treatment in a while even though I just recently bought some aphogee treatment for damaged hair & I have not used heat since before Christmas. When I use my aphogee treatment can I use the ors dc after wards to soften/add moisture? or is that considered a mild protein?

Thanks

ETA: I use hair rinses/semi permanent color & I read that can have a nice source of protein...dunno if that counts.

nymane

For me it's no direct heat, M&S twice daily, DC'ing 1-2x a week, hardcore protein treatment (every 8 weeks),co-washing, air drying and leaving my hair in 6-8 braids (which I undo & rock a braid out when I'm out), and stretching my relaxer (I'm 23 weeks post).

IMFOCSD

For me it's no direct heat, M&S twice daily, DC'ing 1-2x a week, hardcore protein treatment (every 8 weeks),co-washing, air drying and leaving my hair in 6-8 braids (which I undo & rock a braid out when I'm out), and stretching my relaxer (I'm 23 weeks post).

Thanks for responding, I think I will keep this ponytail in for another week & then I will use my aphogee following my ors (twice weekly) concentrating mainly on the damaged area, braid my hair & make another stocking cap wig. I haven't had a relaxer since Nov. 13th, I had planned on relaxing Feb 17th but maybe I will hold off...it depends.