What Do You Moisturize Your Flat-Ironed/Straight Hair With?

MizaniMami

It seems like we discuss moisturizers a lot, but they all seem to be for protective styling or no-heat styled hair. So with that being said before we go into a million scurl posts lol, I was wondering what you ladies use to moisturize your freshly flat ironed/dominican blow/straight hair without causing reversion to the roots/hair or heaviness?

I have yet to find that perfect moisturoizer for my flat ironed hair AND keep achieving that bounce and fluffiness that we all love.

I bought Dove Moisture Mist, which I haven't used yet, since it was raved about on another hair board for straight/flat ironed hair. Any takes on this product?

Any suggestions?

Come on ya'll help me out. I am relaxing in a few weeks and I need to know!
ETA: When I say "straight" that anyone who is wearing their hair straight and down-relaxed, natural, or transitioning. Sorry for any confusion

Last edited:

inthepink

I'm natural so not sure if this would work for you.
What I do is at night as I roll my hair, I moisturize the ends with Silk Elements Leave-in Cream. Then I add WGO right on top of that. I roll it immediately to keep my hair from reverting. My ends have been extremely moisturized this way and it's given me more fullness, too. For the rest of the my hair, I use Elucence shine spray in the morning and a little WGO at night. I can't use anything water-based b/c my hair will revert.

MizaniMami

hairlove said:
I'm natural so not sure if this would work for you.
What I do is at night as I roll my hair, I moisturize the ends with Silk Elements Leave-in Cream. Then I add WGO right on top of that. I roll it immediately to keep my hair from reverting. My ends have been extremely moisturized this way and it's given me more fullness, too. For the rest of the my hair, I use Elucence shine spray in the morning and a little WGO at night. I can't use anything water-based b/c my hair will revert.

I appreciate your advice. I hope naturals don't think that I am excluding them from this post because I said "straight" I didn't mean chemically straight , just hair that is worn down straight. If anything I NEED natural's help.

This post is for ANYONE who wears their hair down or straight?

Southernbella.

This may not help, but I don't really use a moisturizer. I rollerset, and I use Aveda oil on each section before I roll it. This really seals in the moisture, and I can go about a week and a half without putting anything else on it. I will apply a dime size of oil to it when it looks dull, but that's it.

If I haven't washed by 1.5 weeks, and I feel my hair getting dry, I put a quarter size of Mane and Tail Super Moisturizing conditioner all throughout my hair. This moisturizes it and (I think) helps strengthen it until I wash again, plus it's almost like a mini deep condition for my hair. I've never noticed any reversion from this, but the bounce is usually gone from my hair by this time anyway, so it doesn't bother me.

imani97

MizaniMami said:
Bumping for the night owls!

Jane Carter Nourish and Shine is light enough if you use just a dab. There should be some reviews and info on here. I'll try to find the posts for you.

inthepink

MizaniMami said:
I appreciate your advice. I hope naturals don't think that I am excluding them from this post because I said "straight" I didn't mean chemically straight , just hair that is worn down straight. If anything I NEED natural's help.

This post is for ANYONE who wears their hair down or straight?

I didn't take it that way, I just wanted to make the clarification. When I was relaxed, I didn't have to worry about reversion so I could moisturize my hair differently was all I meant! :)

Firenza

I get the best results from using Cantu Shea Butter.
Its like a liquid cream,and I use it for scalp & hair,and use it from roots to ends.
Cantu also has a cream,but then again,they have a whole line.
In my experimentation with different products,I have to say that this works the best .
A good moisterizer too.

lexi84

It took me months to figure it out, but ORS Olive Oil is great for straight hair. I just apply a quarter sized amount throughout my hair with more concentration on my ends(I use more if my ends feel dryer than normal) right before I wrap it up and go to sleep. My hair is shiny, bouncy and light in the morning.;)

KhandiB

I use good ol Mango Butter as of now...
althuogh I mainly use it when Im putting my hair in a pony LOLOL..

Candy_C

MizaniMami said:
I saw you used this following with the keracare oils. How often do you use this? And how much do you use of each?

hey! i can praise these two enough really. i dont even have 2 moisturize today, my hair ends are so shiney and soft. i use this every night b4 bed. i finger comb first, add the creme a pea sized amount and then 1 drop of the oil, thats all thats needed. i dont mix them together, i apply one after the other :cool:

godsflowerrr

i really love vitapointe...it is really light and i still have swing along with moisture. a couple of drops of wgo works too.. i learned about the vitapointe from www.reniece.com and i love it!!

sweetpuff

Okay, so let me get this straight:

The night before flat ironing, I moisturize my hair with something.
Then I flat iron them in the morning?

I'm a little confused. I thought it would be :
wash
deep condition
hood dryer
Blow dryer
moisturizing product
Flat Iron
little shining product
Ta-daaa!

I have the ORS hair mayonnaise. can this be a doo pre-iron product or would this be too thick? should the jojoba oil from ORS be better?

Last edited:

ThinNnappy

sweetpuff said:
Okay, so let me get this straight:

The night before flat ironing, I moisturize my hair with something.
Then I flat iron them in the morning?

I'm a little confused. I thought it would be :
wash
deep condition
hood dryer
Blow dryer
moisturizing product
Flat Iron
little shining product
Ta-daaa!

I have the ORS hair mayonnaise. can this be a doo pre-iron product or would this be too thick? should the jojoba oil from ORS be better?

I think ORS wouldnt be good, I dont know what jojoba oil looks like, but the ORS site said you can use it that way. All i know is the less product on the hair, the more light and bouncy. If you like a creme, you should try like the dudleys one or something

Mine is :::
-Wash
-Deep Condition
-1 product that is a leavein, heat protectant &moisturizer ( V05 detangle!/Elasta QP H-two)
-A serum/heat protectant ( For smooth hair-Elasta QP silk)
-Rollerset & Hooded dryer OR hand blowdryer
-Either one i feel like (vo5 detangle/elas.qp h-two, or elasta qp silk)
-flat iron

-little shining product ( i use an oil sheen)
"ta-daaaa!!!"

THEN at night time i use a creme moisturizer (profectiv), and in the morning i use a spray moisturizer ( The same 1 product, V05 detangle, or Elasta Qp h-two)

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I use Qhemet Amla and Olive heavy cream. When I first bought I was worrid about reversion but I have had none.

HoneyDew

I have recently fallen in love with Loreal VIVE Smooth-Intense Anti Frizz Cream.

As Loreal says, "Smooth-Intense Anti-Frizz Cream, a rich, creamy leave-in formula that smoothes and tames thick, coarse hair, providing 100% more smoothness**"

I actually started usign this because my boyfriend, with LONG type 2 hair started using it. It was sitting on his sink one day and I wanted to try.

I was like :love:

The directions say to use it on wet hair, but he was using it on dry hair.

That is what I have been doing, as well.

It seems to be lighter than some others I have tried but does not revert my hair as much as NTM's leave in, my other favorite.

Last edited:

MissFallon

I used Razaac Perfect for Perms and it was great. I haven't worn my hair straight in months but when I start I'm gonna be reaching for that Perfect for Perms. It makes my hair so nice and silky days after the blowout/flatiron.

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
Recently, I started using NTM Silk Touch with WGO on top to seal it in.

My hair was shedding like crazy before I started doing this and it is stopping.