What do you think about jewelry?

blazingthru

Personally I love jewelry. I love the bling I like how it looks on me. I never go out the house without earrings on. I have many rings that I have brought over the years and my husband brought and I have bracelets that my father has brought me. Well I had a lesson today and I am not done studying. I thought about what I think in my mind when I wear jewelry really I don't think nothing at first but inside I think it makes me look better, It shows my status or my pretend status. Most importantly I don't look or feel poor. I look like I have a few dollars and everything is right in the world. But what does God think about Jewelry?
To God its a sin! (this is very sobering and I was really shocked)
This is from my lesson,
Pride of life is the big problem here Jesus followers should look different. Their appearance witnesses and sends light to others Matthew 5:16
Jewelry draws attention to and exalts self. In the bible its a symbol of backsliding and apostasy(abandon your beliefs). when Jacob and his family rededicated their lives to the lord, they buried their jewelry in the earth Genesis 35;1,2,4
When the Israelites were about to enter the promised land, the Lord commanded them to remove their ornaments (Exodus 33;5.6) In Isaiah chapter 3,19-23) God clearly says that in wearing jewelry ( bracelets, rings, earrings, etc.,) his people were sinning verse 9. In Hosea 2:13 the Lord says that when Israel forsook him, they began to wear jewelry. In Timothy 2:9 and 1 Peter 3:3, Paul and Peter both inform us that God's people will not adorn themselves with gold, pearls and costly array. Please notice that Peter and Paul did speak of the ornaments God want His people to wear; A meek and quiet spirit (1 Peter 3:4) and "good works" (1 Timothy 2:10) Jesus sums it up by symbolizing His true church in Revelation 12:1 as a pure woman clothes with the sun (Jesus' brightness and righteousness) and the apostate church as harlot bedecked with gold, precious stones, and peals ( Revelation 17:3,4) God asks His people to separate from Babylon (Revelations 18:2-4) and all it stand for - including the jewels that draw attention to self - and instead clothe themselves with the righteousness of Jesus. When we fall in love with Jesus, it is a sheer joy and pleasure to live his lifestyle.
I guess the next question is what are you willing to give up for God?

BeautifulFlower

Personally, and I may be wrong but, I believe that to be one of the cultural differences between biblical times and now. Jewelry was a status symbol. It wasnt readily available as it is now. So if you got it then it was for the purpose of showing status.

Jewelry was used in the bible for marriage commitments so its not all bad. Genesis 24:
22 When the camels had finished drinking, the man took out a gold nose ring weighing a beka [d] and two gold bracelets weighing ten shekels. [e] 23 Then he asked, "Whose daughter are you? Please tell me, is there room in your father's house for us to spend the night?"

24 She answered him, "I am the daughter of Bethuel, the son that Milcah bore to Nahor." 25 And she added, "We have plenty of straw and fodder, as well as room for you to spend the night."

26 Then the man bowed down and worshiped the LORD, 27 saying, "Praise be to the LORD, the God of my master Abraham, who has not abandoned his kindness and faithfulness to my master. As for me, the LORD has led me on the journey to the house of my master's relatives."

28 The girl ran and told her mother's household about these things. 29 Now Rebekah had a brother named Laban, and he hurried out to the man at the spring. 30 As soon as he had seen the nose ring, and the bracelets on his sister's arms, and had heard Rebekah tell what the man said to her, he went out to the man and found him standing by the camels near the spring. 31 "Come, you who are blessed by the LORD," he said. "Why are you standing out here? I have prepared the house and a place for the camels."

I wear it because its pretty and it accentuates some features. It think the overall message is dont be so consumed with the outside and neglect the inside man.

alexstin

If you're(general you) convicted then by all means don't wear it but wearing jewelry is not a sin. Maybe that person got a word from the Lord for them and tried to extend to the entire body of Christ.

As much as God speaks of fine jewels, both in building with and wearing, I know that He does not have a problem with it unless the jewels have you. It's no different than money to me. It's good for believers to have money because finances and ppl are needed to fulfill His will. If you think you're something because of that money then you(general you) have a problem.:yep: This is just not an issue for me.

Ex 24:9-11 Then Moses went up with Aaron, Nadab and Abihu, and seventy of the elders of Israel,

and they saw the God of Israel; and under His feet there appeared to be a pavement of sapphire, as clear as the sky itself

Yet He did not stretch out His hand against the nobles of the sons of Israel; and they saw God, and they ate and drank

"For the mountains may be removed and the hills may shake, But My lovingkindness will not be removed from you, And My covenant of peace will not be shaken," Says the LORD who has compassion on you

Isa 54:11 "O afflicted one, storm-tossed, {and} not comforted, Behold, I will set your stones in antimony, And your foundations I will lay in sapphires.

Isa 54:12 "Moreover, I will make your battlements of rubies, And your gates of crystal, And your entire wall of precious stones.

Browndilocks

Browndisha Brownie Sundae
No offense OP but SIGH. Oh boy. I'm just so tired of all of this! I guess this is more of a vent.

Whether its clothing, hair or jewelry, I truly believe that you have to allow the Spirit to lead you and not be consumed by the actual items. I actually know people who wont even wear certain sandals because they think its too strappy or flashy or whatever. They don't want to wear shoes in sin. I mean come on! Where's the moderation and plain old common sense?

I'm just saying - Whenever you [general] have to spend too much time analyzing, dissecting and rationalizing what you aren't supposed to do, you're actually putting yourself in bondage. It prevents you from focusing on what truly matters and freeing your spirit into being open to what God will ultimately move you to do... without the need for all of the critical reasoning.

Last edited:

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

Personally I love jewelry. I love the bling I like how it looks on me. I never go out the house without earrings on. ... It shows my status or my pretend status. Most importantly I don't look or feel poor. I look like I have a few dollars and everything is right in the world. But what does God think about Jewelry?
This is from my lesson,
Pride of life is the big problem here Jesus followers should look different. Their appearance witnesses and sends light to others Matthew 5:16
I guess the next question is what are you willing to give up for God?

Not jewelry. What about the adornment of hair and Jezebel? Is growing and caring for long healthy hair a sin? Should we invest money in conditioners and styling gels rather than give that money to charity? Are we sinning when we take a bath? Choose a color to wear? Buy a nice car? Those scriptures are not talking about jewelry and makeup being sin. There was a reason Israel was to put off Egypt...false g-dless culture. People were scared to leave all the "wealth" they had behind for the unknown (as slaves, I'm talking about onions...they did get lots of gold to take with them). G-d was teaching Israel that He is their Gd. Remember the golden calf? It wasn't having gold that was the problem, necessarily. It was wishing to worship the old false g-ds of Egypt.

What Jesus teaches is simple, there are levels of meaning in everything, certainly in scripture. The higher level, in this case, is intent. Maybe one should address one's personal intent in everything they do rather than condemn inanimate objects and their possession as sin. Anything can become a g-d. Don't stress over it. I think someone taught you wrong.

Sorry for the big font...I was trying to highlight and it just wasn't going right. And my hands are frozen...so is 1/2 my keyboard...:perplexed

Last edited:

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

Is this a sin to wear?
or what the Pope wears? It's all symbolic.

You might want to consider:

http://www.actseighteen.com/articles/standards.htm (for full article)
Holiness, Standards and Sin

Considering the Motive Behind the Act

by Jason Young

A number of Christian groups teach what they call “standards.” Standards, they say, are practical applications of the biblical principles of holiness, modesty and separation from worldliness. Standards relating to clothing and entertainment are the most common. Holiness, modesty and separation from worldliness are required by the Bible and they are topics perhaps more relevant today than ever before in Christian history. However, the standards typically found among churches that emphasize them, while undoubtedly well-intentioned, often cross over into legalism and promote works-based thinking in part because of a failure to fully recognize and consider a key element of sin.

When Jesus came teaching a message of grace and faith, He introduced a new way of understanding sin. Jesus taught that sin lies as much in ones intent as it does in the act itself. Jesus taught that one who harbors unjust anger in his heart for his fellow man is guilty of murder.(1) He taught that one who lusts in his heart has committed adultery.(2) No doubt this new understanding made those that relied upon their good works for justification before God quite uncomfortable.

It is human nature to look more to our actions than our thoughts when it comes to sin. This human reasoning suggests that what we do is what counts and that our motives and intent are secondary. Such thinking is a form of legalism in that it stresses the letter of the law while missing the spirit of the law. Certainly our actions count, but considering actions while ignoring or minimizing the true motivations behind them is a mistake. Sin is first conceived in the heart (3) and every sinful action is backed by sinful intent.

Two persons can commit the identical act and one stands guiltless before God while the other stands guilty. ...

Pants
Holiness groups also frequently teach that it is a sin for women to wear pants....

The scriptures teach that behind every sin is an impure intent or motive. If a woman puts on pants out of a desire to be a man, then a sinful intent exists. But if a woman puts on pants to be more comfortable as she works in her garden or to keep warmer in the winter, where is the sinful intent?

Jewelry
Many holiness churches teach that I Peter 3:3 and I Timothy 2:9 forbid they use of jewelry. They argue that Paul forbids jewelry in these passages and that he does so because jewelry is just another way to be vain and flaunt wealth. These passages do not teach this however (see article), so the argument is baseless. Nevertheless, it is worthwhile to consider the argument that those who wear jewelry are doing so out of vanity and/or a desire to flaunt their wealth.

Just as some women wear makeup and pants with sinful intentions, there are those who wear jewelry with sinful intentions. Indeed, many wear jewelry to vainly advertise and flaunt their wealth. But, for millennia, jewelry has served many good purposes. Today, wedding bands speak of one’s commitment to the biblical institution of marriage. Class rings display loyalty to a school and demonstrate that one has achieved a noble and worthwhile goal. Christian bracelets, necklaces and earrings serve as a public testimony for some and often serve as conversation starters that give Christians the opportunity to share their faith. Jesus Himself positively describes the use of a ring in the parable of the prodigal son (6) and the Bible is full of examples where jewelry is described as godly.

Teaching that jewelry is wrong on the basis that it is nothing more than a means to vainly flaunt one’s wealth ignores the many non-sinful intentions and motives people have for wearing it. If every motive behind wearing jewelry were evil, surely Jesus would not have used it in a parable, nor would there be numerous positive references to it in the Bible.

The two elements of sin – action and intent – must be fully understood before one can label certain behaviors as sinful, and this is where standards get it wrong. Standards focus on the action without fully considering many of the true intentions and motives behind the action. One cannot say that wearing jewelry is a sin, or that women who wear makeup or pants are committing a sin, without first knowing their intent. If a woman wears makeup to entice men, she is in sin. If a woman wears makeup to appear more clean and presentable, where is her sin? If a woman wears pants to be more “manly,” she is in sin. If a woman wears pants to keep warm or to be more comfortable while working in her garden, where is the sin? If a man wears jewelry as a display of his wealth, he is in sin. If he wears jewelry as a display of his faith, where is his sin?

Last edited:

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
It sounds to me that the sin part comes in only if someone's motives for wearing the jewelry are twisted.

Ramya

Jewelry wearing in and of itself is not a sin. It becomes a sin when done in excess with the intent of distracting and boasting. I wear jewelry almost every single day. (b/c i'm too lazy to take my earrings out at night) but I don't have ill intent behind it. If you are convicted about wearing jewelry then by all means stop. :yep:

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Good thread topic. :up:

I love it, but I wear it in minimum. I don't like big, huge, clunky jewelry. It's not attractive. :nono: Such as fingers full of rings, arms full of bangle bracelets and twisted chains, twisted chains around the neck.... :nono::nono::nono::nono::nono: Not attractive. It's just too much. A woman should show her skin, the jewelry is just an accent.

I prefer 'thin' bracelets (one, no more than two); thin watch bands; thin ring bands, thin anklets, and dainty earrings. :lachen::lachen::lachen:

I don't like huge or wide clunks of metal wrapped around my body. :nono:

OH! I do have dangle earrings...I just don't like the huge earrings that pull and weigh down the ears. That's painful.

I ususally wear small studs, pearls, crystals, diamonds (my birthstone) or small to medium gold hoops.

My diamond ring I keep in a small velvet jewel box that my daughter gave me for safe keeping ( because of the gym and dance classes).

Last edited:

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Jewelry wearing in and of itself is not a sin. It becomes a sin when done in excess with the intent of distracting and boasting. I wear jewelry almost every single day. (b/c i'm too lazy to take my earrings out at night) but I don't have ill intent behind it. If you are convicted about wearing jewelry then by all means stop. :yep:
I keep my studs in at night too, most of the time. Otherwise I may forget to put on a pair of earrings before I leave home in the morning. :yep:

MA2010

Great topic OP!

I have one piece of jewelry that I felt strange about wearing. DH gave me a nameplate necklace for my birthday this year. My name is long (Manushka) so he made sure it was really small and in cursive as to not look so guady and "hood"......lol.

I really like it but the more I wore it the more I feel like I'm "feeling myself a little too hard".

It's like I'm saying to other: "Hey look over here, my name is Manushka; hence this fly nameplate necklace". It's really an odd feeling that can only come from the Holy Spirit. The background reason I wanted a nameplate necklace could be a reason I feel convicted too.

Other then that, I wear jewelry. If the Holy Spirit convicts me to give it up......I will!

Crown

See! This is what I don't like about denominations. Always saying to the members what to do or don't do outside, what to wear or not wear, instead of really concentrating about GOD, His plan, the Word.
Fill the inside first and the outside will follow.
(Sorry OP, it is not directed upon you.)
Blessing!

blazingthru

this doesn't come from a denonimation this comes from the word of God, I am so amazed at how no one even thought hey maybe you got a point, Maybe I should look this up and see. In my mind I was shocked that it was even a problem, I was shocked that God feels some kind of way about it. but the fact of the matter he does, he finds is as filth. But I am reminded of that scripture that the road to Christ is narrow and few find it and it sticks with me. There is a church just about every corner here in philly and people go and I am sure some believe they are saved and all so what does it really mean the road to christ is narrowed. Why does God say study the scriptures day and night? I can justify why I will wear my jewerly and in my own eyes thats fine but for me I want to live to please God and so if not wearing jewerly pleases God then I will never wear it again. but what about you, wouldn't you be different if you didn't wear any jewerly from everyone else? There was this woman on my job who I thought was very strange she never wore pants, she was always very calm and of a gentle spirit. So I asked her why and she said she believe that pants are for men and it pleases her husband that she not wear it. She stood out , set apart, different so different that I had to go and ask her.

16 The LORD says,
"The women of Zion are haughty,
walking along with outstretched necks,
flirting with their eyes,
tripping along with mincing steps,
with ornaments jingling on their ankles.

17 Therefore the Lord will bring sores on the heads of the women of Zion;
the LORD will make their scalps bald."

18 In that day the Lord will snatch away their finery: the bangles and headbands and crescent necklaces, 19 the earrings and bracelets and veils, 20 the headdresses and ankle chains and sashes, the perfume bottles and charms, 21 the signet rings and nose rings, 22 the fine robes and the capes and cloaks, the purses 23 and mirrors, and the linen garments and tiaras and shawls.

24 Instead of fragrance there will be a stench;
instead of a sash, a rope;
instead of well-dressed hair, baldness;
instead of fine clothing, sackcloth;
instead of beauty, branding.

3 Those who are left in Zion, who remain in Jerusalem, will be called holy, all who are recorded among the living in Jerusalem. 4 The Lord will wash away the filth of the women of Zion; he will cleanse the bloodstains from Jerusalem by a spirit of judgment and a spirit of fire.

blazingthru

Personally, and I may be wrong but, I believe that to be one of the cultural differences between biblical times and now. Jewelry was a status symbol. It wasnt readily available as it is now. So if you got it then it was for the purpose of showing status.

I think it still applies to day. I mean the standard engagement ring is suppose to be two months full salary. The bigger your diamond the more he loves you, this isn't for everyone but its pretty much the standard. some don't even have diamonds.

Jewelry was used in the bible for marriage commitments so its not all bad. Genesis 24:
22 When the camels had finished drinking, the man took out a gold nose ring weighing a beka [d] and two gold bracelets weighing ten shekels. [e] 23 Then he asked, "Whose daughter are you? Please tell me, is there room in your father's house for us to spend the night?"

24 She answered him, "I am the daughter of Bethuel, the son that Milcah bore to Nahor." 25 And she added, "We have plenty of straw and fodder, as well as room for you to spend the night."

26 Then the man bowed down and worshiped the LORD, 27 saying, "Praise be to the LORD, the God of my master Abraham, who has not abandoned his kindness and faithfulness to my master. As for me, the LORD has led me on the journey to the house of my master's relatives."

28 The girl ran and told her mother's household about these things. 29 Now Rebekah had a brother named Laban, and he hurried out to the man at the spring. 30 As soon as he had seen the nose ring, and the bracelets on his sister's arms, and had heard Rebekah tell what the man said to her, he went out to the man and found him standing by the camels near the spring. 31 "Come, you who are blessed by the LORD," he said. "Why are you standing out here? I have prepared the house and a place for the camels."

I don't know if I would base the entire bibles discussion about jewerly on this one passage, but every instance just about jewerly did not please God
I wear it because its pretty and it accentuates some features. It think the overall message is dont be so consumed with the outside and neglect the inside man.

I think they are one and the same. I think we have to be concerned about both. We really are suppose to look different from the rest of the world.

blazingthru

God said its a sin. He didn't say how much or how little either. I dont' and most people I know don't have any ill intent either. But again its your decision whatever we do in this life, I just thought this was interesting and not an easy thing to do, thats what really hit me.

Nice & Wavy

I'm sorry but...this is a bit much for me. I wear jewelry and don't see anything wrong with it. If there is something sinful about wearing some jewelry, then there is something sinful about being on the internet and especially an internet HAIR FORUM, even though the Hair Forum has a section called the Christianity Forum...its still a forum nevertheless and we are ALL up in here!

As alexstin said, if you (general you) feel as though jewelry is a sin, then by all means don't wear it. I just feel there are more things that need our attention as believers and that is leading people to Christ so that they aren't separated from God for eternity.

When I witness the gospel to people on the street/stores/parks...and they give their hearts to the Lord, I don't stop and say "oh, wait...before I can pray let me take off my earrings and my diamond rings because God won't honor your salvation if I do." I'm not trying to make fun or anything, I'm just saying...there is more to this walk, ya'll...so much more!

Blessings to all!

blazingthru

Not jewelry. What about the adornment of hair and Jezebel? Is growing and caring for long healthy hair a sin? Should we invest money in conditioners and styling gels rather than give that money to charity? Are we sinning when we take a bath? Choose a color to wear? Buy a nice car? Those scriptures are not talking about jewelry and makeup being sin. There was a reason Israel was to put off Egypt...false g-dless culture. People were scared to leave all the "wealth" they had behind for the unknown (as slaves, I'm talking about onions...they did get lots of gold to take with them). G-d was teaching Israel that He is their Gd. Remember the golden calf? It wasn't having gold that was the problem, necessarily. It was wishing to worship the old false g-ds of Egypt.

What Jesus teaches is simple, there are levels of meaning in everything, certainly in scripture. The higher level, in this case, is intent. Maybe one should address one's personal intent in everything they do rather than condemn inanimate objects and their possession as sin. Anything can become a g-d. Don't stress over it. I think someone taught you wrong.

Sorry for the big font...I was trying to highlight and it just wasn't going right. And my hands are frozen...so is 1/2 my keyboard...:perplexed

Well hair comes naturally from our bodies and we should take care of it. I admit for me it was vanity at first then after it was all cut back down again. I just view it as a covering and I would love for it to be long and beautiful but I put vanity out the door. I think that there are so many scriptures about the negative tones of wearing Jewerly and how God feels about it and that pretty much should be enough. AS for being taught, no one is teaching me. I am reading all of this on my own. I dont' have anyone helping me. I am still learning and thought the more experience people on here would advise but I'll tell you this I find this entire thread to just be plain amazing. It opened my eyes about wisdom.

Nice & Wavy

Please read this...and this is from the Word of God:

Ezekiel 16 beginning at verse 9....

9 " 'I bathed [c] you with water and washed the blood from you and put ointments on you. 10 I clothed you with an embroidered dress and put leather sandals on you. I dressed you in fine linen and covered you with costly garments. 11 I adorned you with jewelry: I put bracelets on your arms and a necklace around your neck, 12 and I put a ring on your nose, earrings on your ears and a beautiful crown on your head. 13 So you were adorned with gold and silver; your clothes were of fine linen and costly fabric and embroidered cloth. Your food was fine flour, honey and olive oil. You became very beautiful and rose to be a queen. 14 And your fame spread among the nations on account of your beauty, because the splendor I had given you made your beauty perfect, declares the Sovereign LORD.
15 " 'But you trusted in your beauty and used your fame to become a prostitute. You lavished your favors on anyone who passed by and your beauty became his. [d] 16 You took some of your garments to make gaudy high places, where you carried on your prostitution. Such things should not happen, nor should they ever occur. 17 You also took the fine jewelry I gave you, the jewelry made of my gold and silver, and you made for yourself male idols and engaged in prostitution with them. 18 And you took your embroidered clothes to put on them, and you offered my oil and incense before them. 19 Also the food I provided for you—the fine flour, olive oil and honey I gave you to eat—you offered as fragrant incense before them. That is what happened, declares the Sovereign LORD.

Nice & Wavy

Well hair comes naturally from our bodies and we should take care of it. I admit for me it was vanity at first then after it was all cut back down again. I just view it as a covering and I would love for it to be long and beautiful but I put vanity out the door. I think that there are so many scriptures about the negative tones of wearing Jewerly and how God feels about it and that pretty much should be enough. AS for being taught, no one is teaching me. I am reading all of this on my own. I dont' have anyone helping me.
I am still learning and thought the more experience people on here would advise me, but I'll tell you this I find this entire thread to just be plain amazing
Regarding the bolded, this is why we need the Holy Spirit to teach us...He will teach us everything that we need to know. We also need each other in this walk...one can chase a thousand, but two...ten thousand! What I'm missing, someone else will have in abundance to share and then I can learn from them.

We must always have a teachable spirit, blaze.

In all your getting, get understanding.

And the quoted...what are you trying to say?

MA2010

16 The LORD says,

18 In that day the Lord will snatch away their finery: the bangles and headbands and crescent necklaces, 19 the earrings and bracelets and veils, 20 the headdresses and ankle chains and sashes, the perfume bottles and charms, 21 the signet rings and nose rings, 22 the fine robes and the capes and cloaks, the purses 23 and mirrors, and the linen garments and tiaras and shawls.

3 Those who are left in Zion, who remain in Jerusalem, will be called holy, all who are recorded among the living in Jerusalem. 4 The Lord will wash away the filth of the women of Zion; he will cleanse the bloodstains from Jerusalem by a spirit of judgment and a spirit of fire.

Hello Bazingthru,

What scripture is this from? I didn't see a book named and I want to check it out. Thanks!!!

PS: I'm at work with no Bible (I could check out biblegateway. com though). Ok Nevermind girl.....lol.

divya

This is an interesting topic. Wish I had more time to discuss.

It seems like the Bible really encourages us to consider the purpose of jewelry. 1Tim. 2:9 If it is for self-glorification, then we ought not to wear it. This principle goes for virtually everything we do in life. Are we glorifying God or man (self)?

Ezekiel 16 deals with God's relationship with Israel. There Israel is portrayed as a woman, more specifically a harlot. God uses jewelry to represent the many blessings He bestowed upon Israel. If we look closer, it's not advocating or prohibiting jewelry. It's really about Israel's actions and the covenant with God.

Bless ladies.

ktykaty

This is from my lesson,

" Let your light so shine before men that they may see your moral excellence and your praiseworthy, noble, and good deeds and recognize and honor and praise and glorify your Father Who is in heaven." Mat 5:16 Amplified
This verse isn't about appearance, not about what you wear. It's about what's inside your heart, your motive and the resulting actions.

"So they [both young men and women] gave to Jacob all the strange gods they had and their earrings which were [worn as charms against evil] in their ears; and Jacob buried and hid them under the oak near Shechem." Gen 35:4 Amplified
The belief attached to the wearing of those earrings was sinful. It was idolatry.

"For the Lord had said to Moses, Say to the Israelites, You are a stiff-necked people! If I should come among you for one moment, I would consume and destroy you. Now therefore [penitently] leave off your ornaments, that I may know what to do with you. 6And the Israelites left off all their ornaments, from Mount Horeb onward." Exodus 33:5-6 Amplified
Ditching all ornaments including jewelry was a punishment from God and a sign of penance.

"Moreover, the Lord said, Because the daughters of Zion are haughty and walk with outstretched necks and with undisciplined (flirtatious and alluring) eyes, tripping along with mincing and affected gait, and making a tinkling noise with [the anklets on] their feet,17Therefore the Lord will smite with a scab the crown of the heads of the daughters of Zion [making them bald], and the Lord will cause them to be [taken as captives and to suffer the indignity of being] stripped naked." Isa 3:16-17
The jewelry was clearly worn with seduction in mind.

"13And I will visit [punishment] upon her for the feast days of the Baals, when she burned incense to them and decked herself with her earrings and nose rings and her jewelry and went after her lovers and forgot Me, says the Lord." Hosea 2:13
Israel will be punished because she was adorning herself for false god, burning incense to them, and festing for them.

"9Also [I desire] that women should adorn themselves modestly and appropriately and sensibly in seemly apparel, not with [elaborate] hair arrangement or gold or pearls or expensive clothing, 10But by doing good deeds (deeds in themselves good and for the good and advantage of those contacted by them), as befits women who profess reverential fear for and devotion to God." 1 Timothy 2:9
I believe that some jewelry can be modest, appropriate and seemly.

"Let not yours be the [merely] external adorning with [elaborate] interweaving and knotting of the hair, the wearing of jewelry, or changes of clothes;
4But let it be the inward adorning and beauty of the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible and unfading charm of a gentle and peaceful spirit, which [is not anxious or wrought up, but] is very precious in the sight of God." 1 Peter 3:3-4

Peter is specifically adressing married woman in these verses.They can be used to argue wether or not married woman can wear jewelry but they cannot be extended to all womenfolk.

Wearing jewelry by itself is not sinful. It 's the intent/reason why you wear jewelry that can be sinful. That's what the Bible teaches us.

Last edited:

ktykaty

Personally I wore some jewelry as a way to glorify God. This particular jewel which I seldom remove, is a symbol of my faith. It shows the world that I'm Christian & Catholic.

My other jewelry I wear because I like them. Nothing more. They are so not meaningful & unimportant that I often forgot to put them on.

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

this doesn't come from a denonimation this comes from the word of God, I am so amazed at how no one even thought hey maybe you got a point, Maybe I should look this up and see. In my mind I was shocked that it was even a problem, I was shocked that God feels some kind of way about it. but the fact of the matter he does, he finds is as filth. But I am reminded of that scripture that the road to Christ is narrow and few find it and it sticks with me. There is a church just about every corner here in philly and people go and I am sure some believe they are saved and all so what does it really mean the road to christ is narrowed. .

Don't feel bad. I don't think anyone here is angry about it. It think, at least for me, that we're saying that if you study and can only interpret the meaning from a limited understand of it, there can be problems. I do get your point. But the bible is also allegorical. You have to likewise put scripture within it's cultural and historical context. Just be careful. You don't want to be part of someplace that will make you question everybody else's salvation because you are unsure of your own...if everything is becoming sin. I've been down that road once and it wasn't pretty. I was depressed over it for years. Be very careful about those kinds of teachings. I find them erroneous. Sure...you have a point (look at all the hootchie mess going on like it's normal and chaste lol!) ... but there's not a demon under every rock. I hope you didn't take offense to my post.

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

Well hair comes naturally from our bodies and we should take care of it. I admit for me it was vanity at first then after it was all cut back down again. I just view it as a covering and I would love for it to be long and beautiful but I put vanity out the door. I think that there are so many scriptures about the negative tones of wearing Jewerly and how God feels about it and that pretty much should be enough. AS for being taught, no one is teaching me. I am reading all of this on my own. I dont' have anyone helping me. I am still learning and thought the more experience people on here would advise but I'll tell you this I find this entire thread to just be plain amazing. It opened my eyes about wisdom.

Learning about G-d from judaism to today in christianity was never meant to be learned "alone." One needs the body and authority. One doesn't develop wisdom from lack of knowledge and experience. We need teachers and they developed from necessity. All that commentary about what scripture means isn't there for merely subjective suggestion.

inthepink

I haven't read the rest of the thread but I wear jewelry simply to accessorize. Most of my jewelry is super cheap.

ETA: I tend to think it's not jewelry itself or wearing jewelry itself that is sinful but are you worshiping jewelry? I tend to think of rap stars (now and then, mostly then) who wear HUGE chains around their necks and lots of BLING. They are worshiping jewelry - it makes them feel superior.

Last edited:

Crown

16 The LORD says,

So, you don't have or wear those things in bold?

I don't wear jewelry, but for me it's a personal affair, no need to put this like doctrine. I don't like cheap. The finest jewelry is surprisingly the expensive one. As a Christian, I prefer to do others things instead of buying jewelry. But, it's my personal choice. For example, my daughter wear bracelet (sometimes) : why not?

Wearing jewelry is not a sin, BUT it can be or become a sin for someone in particular.

blazingthru

Wow, I am totally blown away at the defense, of wearing jewerly I was on the fence but now I am certain that God won't bless me if I wear jewerly I see how many people defend the reason to wear it and it was a conviction to me that it must not be the correct thing to do. Why! its a sacrifice not to wear jewerly and I seen on this board its a difficult one. I removed all of my jewerly a few weeks ago but I still wore earrings and a band on my finger I removed them and retired them. This to me is a sacrifice to give up wearing something that I think is pretty and brings out my features and makes my outfits look even better. I'll look different without my jewerly naked even but hey I am living for God and I just read to many instances where he sees it as filth. Then in Matthew 7:14 one of the first principles of being a Christian is self-denial. If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me. Then Luke 14:33 whoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple. What am I really giving up for my relationship with the lord? What would be a sacrifice for me that is seen as stupid to the rest of the world.
Few find this road to christ. That sticks with me more and more I keep looking to see what is it that is hidden and not well known to the world or those that say they are christian can't seem to find it. its very interesting to me. There are many stumbling blocks to Christ if we let it. This for me is a pause I had to pause on it for a moment but I refuse to let something so small and insignificant stand in my way.
just because someone brings something up that you don't agree with why attack, can we reason together. We love the Lord shouldn't we love one another.

divya

Ok, well maybe we should tackle certain questions...

Why do we wear jewelry?

What purpose does it serve?