What do you think about jewelry?

thatscuteright

I don't think we should focus on what will and won't send us to hell. I think blazingthru is making the point that we should try to be pleasing in Gods sight.

When you go to church do you just put on dirty clothes and walk in God's holy place? No, of course not! So if God asks us to do something we should comply out of love. Not because we fear punishment.

I think that sometimes emphasis is placed on trivial matters such as women who wear jewelry, vs those that don't and those who are pure vs. those who are unpure based on what they put in their ears, and on their face when IMHO, jewelry, cosmetics and pants are not the issue, but the meaning and value that we place on them.

If a woman makes God her focus but chooses to wear jewelry and other adorments it does not mean that she is a heathen and has replaced God with her adornments. Same with pants, cosmetics and whatever else a person may use to demarcate an "Godly" woman from an "UnGodly" woman.

The issue is the person's heart, character and daily lifestyle choices.

So a lady doesn't wear jewelry, but gossips and partakes in other questionable behaviors, does that still make said lady more "God fearing " then her jewelry wearing counterpart ?

And in the same breath I will say an unadorned woman is not more pious then on an adorned one.

Last edited:

meka

For those of you who don't wear jewelry b/c it doesnt serve a purpose. Do you wear makeup, color your hair, fragrances, chemically treat your hair?

Nice & Wavy

I don't think we should focus on what will and won't send us to hell. I think blazingthru is making the point that we should try to be pleasing in Gods sight.

When you go to church do you just put on dirty clothes and walk in God's holy place? No, of course not! So if God asks us to do something we should comply out of love. Not because we fear punishment.
Exactly....if God asks us to do something.:yep:

divya

For those of you who don't wear jewelry b/c it doesnt serve a purpose. Do you wear makeup, color your hair, fragrances, chemically treat your hair?

Well, there is nothing explicitly in the Bible that states we should not, as opposed to jewelry which is specifically addressed. However, it depends on the reasoning behind those things, because like anything else, it can be a problem. I do minimal of those things, if at all.

Last edited:

moonglowdiva

I wear minimal makeup. I have oily skin and too much makeup breaks me out. I do not use hair color. Does henna count?:look: I love perfume. I have Oscar, Love & Luck, Burberry Weekend, Ralph, Red Door & Velvet, 360. I just have allergies that keep me from wearing the strong stuff. I never use perfume up. I end up giving it away. I have relaxed texturized hair. I don't do it often thought. I tend to go against the grain.

divya

I wear minimal makeup. I have oily skin and too much makeup breaks me out. I do not use hair color. Does henna count?:look: I love perfume. I have Oscar, Love & Luck, Burberry Weekend, Ralph, Red Door & Velvet, 360. I just have allergies that keep me from wearing the strong stuff. I never use perfume up. I end up giving it away. I have relaxed texturized hair. I don't do it often thought. I tend to go against the grain.

This is sort of like me. I only wear a little foundation due to two scars that I got when I was younger, and makeup really isn't that great for skin. No eyeshadow, lipstick, blush and that kind of stuff. Not into fragrances at all. Hair color? Only colored it once in my life. Not into that either. I'm texlaxed till my wedding day. Then I'll probably BC, which FH is so not going to like. :grin:

caribgirl

Well, there is nothing explicitly in the Bible that states we should not, as opposed to jewelry which is specifically addressed. However, it depends on the reasoning behind those things, because like anything else, it can be a problem. I do minimal of those things, if at all.

I agree with this wholeheartedly :yep:.

Thanks ladies for this discussion.

Last edited:

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

Great post Caribgirl! I would also like to mention. In the earlier posts someone mentioned the pope and his adornment. As a way to excuse us from following what the bible says. Well that in and of itself is another topic. The pope is not God... he is just a man.

That was me who posted it and it wasn't an excuse at all. I think there's a difference between personal conviction and outright condemnation based upon someone else's interpretation of the issue....something that is exhaustingly common on this christian forum.:grin: Vanity can exist in overly pious legalism. It think it's safe to say that some people do not adorn themselves and that is their personal conviction whereas others do and it's their right to do so according to their personal conviction. Where we cross the line in condemnation is using scripture to uphold our convictions as though they should apply to all and as an indicator of whether one is heaven-bound or hell-bound where there is no clear-cut indication from it in scripture. For example, clear-cut?..."thou shalt not kill." Does that mean humans, animals, killing through evil speech which is equally damaging? There's evidence scripturally that eating flesh is not wrong. Would man benefit from vegetarianism? Absolutely. Is a flesh-eater going to hell? There are some who believe so. We should be very careful of trying to play G-d. His role, I'll admit for my life, is way too big.

Last edited:

Almaz

If you want to wear Jewelry it is up to you.

I have a dear friend that wears Jewelry make up and is always adorned even to the point of almost over the top, She is a Christian but she is the TRUEST Christian in every sense of the word. Yet THE SAME people at her church that don't wear any make up Jewelry Open toed shoes Pants or anything dog this woman to death But yet they professed to be saved and G-d Fearing but yet they dog this REAL Christian out.

She has been married to the same man since she was 17 years old all her children are IN WEDLOCK no Premarital Sex or OOW babies cause she had her first child at 21. But yet all the other women in the church are very hateful they all for the most part had OOW babies some of them NEVER married and never will cause they so hateful but yet they are "SAVED" because they dont' wear Jewelry or makeup. But these women are so quick to judge and damn HER to hell because she does like to dress nice and she keeps herself up. Becuase she believes being saved does NOT mean you have to look like Alice the Goon from Popeye as she puts it.

May I ask from a the lovely Christian ladies on here does G-d really Judge you by your outsides l ike people do?

Ramya

If you want to wear Jewelry it is up to you.

I have a dear friend that wears Jewelry make up and is always adorned even to the point of almost over the top, She is a Christian but she is the TRUEST Christian in every sense of the word. Yet THE SAME people at her church that don't wear any make up Jewelry Open toed shoes Pants or anything dog this woman to death But yet they professed to be saved and G-d Fearing but yet they dog this REAL Christian out.

She has been married to the same man since she was 17 years old all her children are IN WEDLOCK no Premarital Sex or OOW babies cause she had her first child at 21. But yet all the other women in the church are very hateful they all for the most part had OOW babies some of them NEVER married and never will cause they so hateful but yet they are "SAVED" because they dont' wear Jewelry or makeup. But these women are so quick to judge and damn HER to hell because she does like to dress nice and she keeps herself up. Becuase she believes being saved does NOT mean you have to look like Alice the Goon from Popeye as she puts it.

May I ask from a the lovely Christian ladies on here does G-d really Judge you by your outsides l ike people do?

To the bold, my mother is facing this problem now. Those women are so hateful. She dresses nice and likes to keep her appearance neat (where I get it from lol) and the women make snide remarks about her being 'wordly'. I'm sorry but my mother is very modest and her clothing is always age appropriate but no she is not 60 and shouldn't look like it. :look: Folks be tripping, snatching their husbands up and what not. I couldn't even focus on the sermon because of all of the head rolling up in there. :nono: I doubt God is really judging us like that. However, He did give us rules and regulations for our benefit. Some people just take it way too far.

divya

That was me who posted it and it wasn't an excuse at all. I think there's a difference between personal conviction and outright condemnation based upon someone else's interpretation of the issue....something that is exhaustingly common on this christian forum.:grin: Vanity can exist in overly pious legalism. It think it's safe to say that some people do not adorn themselves and that is their personal conviction whereas others do and it's their right to do so according to their personal conviction. Where we cross the line in condemnation is using scripture to uphold our convictions as though they should apply to all and as an indicator of whether one is heaven-bound or hell-bound where this is no clear-cut indication from it inscripture. For example, clear-cut?..."thou shalt not kill." Does that mean humans, animals, killing through evil speech which is equally damaging? There's evidence scripturally that eating flesh is not wrong. Would man benefit from vegetarianisn? Absolutely. Is a flesh-eater going to hell? There are some who believe so. We should be very careful of trying to play G-d. His role, I'll admit for my life, is way too big.

Agreed. However, there was no such condemnation in this thread. Just because someone expresses a difference in beliefs does not mean that they are automatically condemning others to hell. Maybe in your experience or the experiences of some others, these types of discussions generally have a going to heaven or hell intent. I suppose I can understand that caution. However, we all do have different experiences and so our point in discussion may be completely different. I know for me, it's about loving God and wanting to please Him. Others ladies likely share the same feelings on the issue. So it's likely best to inquire...

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

Agreed. However, there was no such condemnation in this thread. Just because someone expresses a difference in beliefs does not mean that they are automatically condemning others to hell. .

Whether one is going to hell or not is what fuels the christian religion. It's an unavoidable issue and is the focus of "every" sermon and teaching - or rather, pleasing G-d in all we say and do. So, each and every event and issue of life touches upon that fact. Where the differences come into play are the interpretations. There are probably 10 different sects of christianity (or more) represented here from active posters alone. Imagine the lurkers. It's interpretation...and that's why there are 1 billion different christian sects. I'm not against anyone here nor am I trying to prevent an opinion...but there are ways to present an issue and not have a condemning tone as though one is "saved" and another is not.

But what does God think about Jewelry?
To God its a sin! (this is very sobering and I was really shocked)
This is from my lesson,

this doesn't come from a denonimation this comes from the word of God, I am so amazed at how no one even thought hey maybe you got a point, Maybe I should look this up and see. In my mind I was shocked that it was even a problem, I was shocked that God feels some kind of way about it. but the fact of the matter he does, he finds is as filth. But I am reminded of that scripture that the road to Christ is narrow and few find it and it sticks with me. There is a church just about every corner here in philly and people go and I am sure some believe they are saved and all so what does it really mean the road to christ is narrowed. .

God said its a sin. He didn't say how much or how little either. I dont' and most people I know don't have any ill intent either. But again its your decision whatever we do in this life, I just thought this was interesting and not an easy thing to do, thats what really hit me.

Wow, I am totally blown away at the defense, of wearing jewerly I was on the fence but now I am certain that God won't bless me if I wear jewerly I see how many people defend the reason to wear it and it was a conviction to me that it must not be the correct thing to do.

Great post Caribgirl! I would also like to mention. In the earlier posts someone mentioned the pope and his adornment. As a way to excuse us from following what the bible says. Well that in and of itself is another topic. The pope is not God... he is just a man.

It becomes more than an opinion in this case. I will stand fervently for those who are weak and might fall into another situation with a denomination where they question G-d's love for them each and every moment in life. I do not think this is the case with OP, however, (questioning love by G-d) I am certain there are those lurking who might be falling into confusion with this issue. Again, personal conviction is not a tenet of the faith. Interpretation of the scriptures is going to look very different with each and every christian sect and I think we should all remember that.

Edit: I mean this as matter-of-fact...not in a spirit of anger at all :yep: I typically write this way...never know how someone else will see it.

Last edited:

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Hi, kgard,

I have a hard time comprehending how a watch isn't considered jewelry...can you please explain that to me?

Blazingthru

. I am Seventh Day Adventist and because of what the bible teaches us about jewelry we are taught NOT to wear it. In fact, its such a no no that most married couples in the church don't exchange rings but watches instead.

divya

Whether one is going to hell or not is what fuels the christian religion. It's an unavoidable issue and is the focus of "every" sermon and teaching - or rather, pleasing G-d in all we say and do. So, each and every event and issue of life touches upon that fact. Where the differences come into play are the interpretations. There are probably 10 different sects of christianity (or more) represented here from active posters alone. Imagine the lurkers. It's interpretation...and that's why there are 1 billion different christian sects. I'm not against anyone here nor am I trying to prevent an opinion...but there are ways to present an issue and not have a condemning tone as though one is "saved" and another is not.

I disagree but can respect your opinion of Christianity. Guess for me, expressing a difference in beliefs still does does not mean automatic condemnation to hell. As you said earlier, that's a determination that only the Lord Himself makes. I just want to live right and love my Maker, as I'm sure we all do.

Last edited:

divya

Hi, kgard,

I have a hard time comprehending how a watch isn't considered jewelry...can you please explain that to me?

If you don't mind, I'm willing to explain. :yep: The function of a watch is to tell time, just like the function of a car is to take people from point A to B. On the other hand, the purpose of jewelry is self-adornment of the outer kind, with the Scriptures counsel us to avoid.

It is definitely true that too much value can be put on a watch or a car. However, in themselves, the purpose of both are different from that of jewelry.

:)

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

I disagree but can respect your opinion of Christianity. However, just because someone expresses a difference in beliefs still does does not mean that they are automatically condemning others to hell, imho...

That's fine you disagree but I thoroughly explained my reasoning for posting what I did. It's easily comprehensible. I am not opposed to differing opinions at all. We all have our differing opinions and that's the makeup of discussion. However, passing off a personal conviction or preference as a biblical absolute and/or mandate is dangerous and if I think something can spiritually harm another, I'll take the blame in issuing my voice with with the best of intents. If I have to stand alone, I will.

Like drinking, moderation (spiritual, in this case) is best. I'm not talking about mandates here like the Decalogue. There are many out there that are not as spiritually intune as you and others and for those, I posted my response. The tone was "thus saith the L-rd...the road is narrow" and that means one thing, salvation-worthy or not. Again, the christian faith is very much concerned with heaven and hell direction so that anything a believer does magnifies one's eternal destination based upon their behavior. Am I wrong in that? If so, please feel free to enlighten me. I am open to that. I just am very much concerned for those not able to discern a christian absolute and/or truth.

Last edited:

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
No offense intended just asking a question

I applaud you for asking this question... I don't wear a lot of jewelry but I do wear jewelry and I don't think that not wearing any will make me any more saved. Being saved is a matter of the heart and believing that Jesus washed away our sins. I believe being a Child of God is a lifestyle and not a religion. So personal conviction is a major factor on whether a person wears jewelry/makeup/pants or not. A Child of God is on dangerous ground when they focus more on what's on the outside than what's on the inside...We tend to interpret the Bible the way we see it; but the bottom line is, if a person's heart isn't pure and in line with God's will, no religion or practice will be able to cover this blemish. All your girlfriend can do is pray for her sisters in Christ, because that's God's will. And we should live a life that is pleasing to him. It's hard, but doable by his Grace.

I'm really amused by the jewelry question, because I want to know if any of us will refuse our bejeweled crowns (based on our works on Earth) when we make it to heaven...
Crown of Righteousness 2 Timothy 4: 7-8
Incorruptible Crown 1 Corinthians 9:24-27
Crown of Life Revelation 2:10
Crown of Rejoicing 1 Thessalonians 2:19-20
Crown of Glory 1 Peter 5:1-4

divya

I thoroughly explained my reasoning for posting what I did. I am not opposed to differing opinions. However, if I think something can spiritually harm another, I'll take the blame in issuing my voice with with the best of intents. Like drinking, moderation (spiritual, in this case) is best. There are many out there that are not as spiritually intune as you and others are and for those, I posted.

I understand your concern and appreciate that. My hope that the same concern is shown for those who also have the best intents but different beliefs. For me, the whole heaven/hell accusations were much but that's just coming from my experience. Yours are also understood.

OT: Did LHCF just totally have a glitch?

divya

I applaud you for asking this question... I don't wear a lot of jewelry but I do wear jewelry and I don't think that not wearing any will make me any more saved. Being saved is a matter of the heart and believing that Jesus washed away our sins. I believe being a Child of God is a lifestyle and not a religion. So personal conviction is a major factor on whether a person wears jewelry/makeup/pants or not. A Child of God is on dangerous ground when they focus more on what's on the outside than what's on the inside...We tend to interpret the Bible the way we see it; but the bottom line is, if a person's heart isn't pure and in line with God's will, no religion or practice will be able to cover this blemish. All your girlfriend can do is pray for her sisters in Christ, because that's God's will. And we should live a life that is pleasing to him. It's hard, but doable by his Grace.

I'm really amused by the jewelry question, because I want to know if any of us will refuse our bejeweled crowns (based on our works on Earth) when we make it to heaven...

I personally distinguish between our reward in heaven when we are changed and given eternal life, and here on earth where we are still susceptible to sin. So that counsel in Timothy is given for our own good, out of the love God has for us - which I am very thankful for.

That's my personal conviction. :)

Last edited:

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

I understand your concern and appreciate that. My hope that the same concern is shown for those who also have the best intents but different beliefs. For me, the whole heaven/hell accusations were much but that's just coming from my experience. Yours are also understood.

OT: Did LHCF just totally have a glitch?

Yes, a hiccup or something.

pebbles

As it pertains to jewelry, I largely believe it is comparable to Roman 14:1-10. Just pretend to be talking about jewelry instead of certain foods. To each his or her own.

And as a disclaimer, I wear jewelry, and I KNOW I'm blessed! :yep:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Roman 14:1-10

The Weak and the Strong

1. Accept him whose faith is weak, without passing judgment on disputable matters.
2. One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables.
3. The man who eats everything must not look down on him who does not, and the man who does not eat everything must not condemn the man who does, for God has accepted him.
4. Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.
5. One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind.
6. He who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord. He who eats meat, eats to the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who abstains, does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God.
7. For none of us lives to himself alone and none of us dies to himself alone. 8. If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord.

9. For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living.

10. You, then, why do you judge your brother? Or why do you look down on your brother? For we will all stand before God's judgment seat.

Almaz

Thank you EXACTLY I appreciate your reponse. I think it is all in what G-d sees in your Neshama (Hebrew for Soul) Cause I have CLEARLY run across people in my own religion as well as others who disguise themselves in the cloak of piety to cover up their gross hypocrises.

Nice & Wavy

Thank you for this post......for real:yep: