What do you think about jewelry?

blazingthru

I haven't read the rest of the thread but I wear jewelry simply to accessorize. Most of my jewelry is super cheap.

ETA: I tend to think it's not jewelry itself or wearing jewelry itself that is sinful but are you worshiping jewelry? I tend to think of rap stars (now and then, mostly then) who wear HUGE chains around their necks and lots of BLING. They are worshiping jewelry - it makes them feel superior.

I think its a lesson for us what was done in those days. I feel that many of us are not guilty of anything when we wear jewerly,but it has a connection to people that did do things that were not pleasing to God and for that reason alone, wearing jewerly is like a reminder of what is not pleasing to God.

alexstin

Wow, I am totally blown away at the defense, of wearing jewerly I was on the fence but now I am certain that God won't bless me if I wear jewerly I see how many people defend the reason to wear it and it was a conviction to me that it must not be the correct thing to do. Why! its a sacrifice not to wear jewerly and I seen on this board its a difficult one. I removed all of my jewerly a few weeks ago but I still wore earrings and a band on my finger I removed them and retired them. This to me is a sacrifice to give up wearing something that I think is pretty and brings out my features and makes my outfits look even better. I'll look different without my jewerly naked even but hey I am living for God and I just read to many instances where he sees it as filth. Then in Matthew 7:14 one of the first principles of being a Christian is self-denial. If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me. Then Luke 14:33 whoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple. What am I really giving up for my relationship with the lord? What would be a sacrifice for me that is seen as stupid to the rest of the world.
Few find this road to christ. That sticks with me more and more I keep looking to see what is it that is hidden and not well known to the world or those that say they are christian can't seem to find it. its very interesting to me. There are many stumbling blocks to Christ if we let it. This for me is a pause I had to pause on it for a moment but I refuse to let something so small and insignificant stand in my way.
just because someone brings something up that you don't agree with why attack, can we reason together. We love the Lord shouldn't we love one another.

It's good for you to follow your conviction.:yep:

Nice & Wavy

Wow, I am totally blown away at the defense, of wearing jewerly I was on the fence but now I am certain that God won't bless me if I wear jewerly I see how many people defend the reason to wear it and it was a conviction to me that it must not be the correct thing to do. Why! its a sacrifice not to wear jewerly and I seen on this board its a difficult one. I removed all of my jewerly a few weeks ago but I still wore earrings and a band on my finger I removed them and retired them. This to me is a sacrifice to give up wearing something that I think is pretty and brings out my features and makes my outfits look even better. I'll look different without my jewerly naked even but hey I am living for God and I just read to many instances where he sees it as filth. Then in Matthew 7:14 one of the first principles of being a Christian is self-denial. If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me. Then Luke 14:33 whoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple. What am I really giving up for my relationship with the lord? What would be a sacrifice for me that is seen as stupid to the rest of the world.
Few find this road to christ. That sticks with me more and more I keep looking to see what is it that is hidden and not well known to the world or those that say they are christian can't seem to find it. its very interesting to me. There are many stumbling blocks to Christ if we let it. This for me is a pause I had to pause on it for a moment but I refuse to let something so small and insignificant stand in my way.
just because someone brings something up that you don't agree with why attack
, can we reason together. We love the Lord shouldn't we love one another.
I'm a little confused here:nono:
If you are suggesting that my post some how attacked you, then I don't know what to say:ohwell:. You started a thread about how do we feel about jewelry, and then we proceed to say how WE feel about it, you begin to say things like "few find this road to Christ" and "those that say they are christian" etc. I asked you in two of my posts what did you mean by what you said, and you still have yet to answer. If asking a question is attacking you, then I really believe you need to pray and ask the Lord what is in your heart, for real. No one in this thread attacked you...if anyone was saying something against others, it was you.

We ALL must walk in love towards one another, blaze.

I truly hope you have a good day.:yep:

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Hi, blazin',

I agree with Ramya ... it's not the jewelry itself but the reasons why it's worn. Your Biblical references point to "pride" as one of the reasons jewelry was worn. Some also focused on their jewelry as status, to the point of "worshipping" it... that's the sin, not the jewelry itself.

Since you've mentioned Jesus and his lifestyle.... a lot of Christians wrongfully believe Jesus was poor and lived a life of scarcity. That couldn't be farther from the Truth....God intended for us to enjoy the wealth of this Earth and not the opposite. This is why Jesus always admonished his followers to serve/tend to the poor and to share their wealth with them, so that they too may enjoy the benefits of this earth.

Being a Christian doesn't equate to a life of scarcity. Not at all ... But it doesn't equate to a life of greed/hoarding, either. A healthy balance in life is what we should all strive for. A true Christian shares....

pearlygurl

If you are personally convicted about wearing jewelry then by all means don't wear it. :yep: I really believe that your heart is in the right place and that you really want to be pleasing to God. But having a personal convition about something does not automatically make it a sin for everyone else.

AS for being taught, no one is teaching me. I am reading all of this on my own. I dont' have anyone helping me. I am still learning and thought the more experience people on here would advise but I'll tell you this I find this entire thread to just be plain amazing. It opened my eyes about wisdom.

It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up. Ephesians 4:11-12

When reading the Bible, you really have to put things in contex (both historically and culturally) in addition to being led by the Spirit. This will help us gain a clear understanding of the scriptures and how they apply to our lives. Some things written in the Bible apply specifically to a certain group of people during certain times.

In the verses you posted, God didn't want His people to be associated with jewelry/makeup/fragrances because of what they represented back in those times. For example, prostitutes wore makeup/jewelry/fragrances to intice men and bring attention to themselves. In other ways, jewelry was used to identify certain tribes who did not worship God. In these instances, God was not pleased with the intent of those who wore these things and He wanted His people to be distinct and set apart from those behaviors and people.

Today (culturally), most people don't associate makeup/jewerly/fragrances with prostitution. However, if these particular things are worn/used with the wrong intent it still will not be pleasing to God. :yep:

blazingthru

Nice& Wavy, I haven't commented on your post because I haven't had a moment to but I will. I posted earlier as I was leaving to go to work.

I haven't attacked anyone. I didn't say any one attacked me. but things are sometimes said harshly or better taken harshly we can only guess the feelings and meaning by reading. But you can say how you feel without directing it at me. its the scriptures I was referring to. I didn't wake up and say hey lets do this. I never heard of such a thing and we are to examine the scriptures. This is all a shock and new to me. I am just amazed that no one though it was interesting enough to even think about. Thats what I find very odd. I took it off when I first heard, I didn't take it all off now I admit that but I took most of it off. I wanted to know more. I wasn't searching the scriptures to find out if that didn't mean for me. I was searching to find out why and what does it all mean. we all have freedom to do as we please. But we all don't know everything and like someone mentioned to me about being holy and reverencing God I thought I did and come to find out I wasn't and I was grateful to that person for pointing it out to me.

I read somewhere in 1 cor that everything that happpen to the Hebrews in the desert was for our benefit. A lesson for us. I will look up a few things when I get home. I don't respond much while I am at work. Today the system is down. I can't get the scripture I was talking about. I also changed purses and so I don't have my bible with me.

Nice & Wavy

Nice& Wavy, I haven't commented on your post because I haven't had a moment to but I will. I posted earlier as I was leaving to go to work. Ok then:yep:..I will wait for your post.

I haven't attacked anyone. I didn't say any one attacked me. but things are sometimes said harshly or better taken harshly we can only guess the feelings and meaning by reading. But you can say how you feel without directing it at me. its the scriptures I was referring to. I didn't wake up and say hey lets do this. I never heard of such a thing and we are to examine the scriptures. This is all a shock and new to me. I am just amazed that no one though it was interesting enough to even think about. Thats what I find very odd. I took it off when I first heard, I didn't take it all off now I admit that but I took most of it off. I wanted to know more. I wasn't searching the scriptures to find out if that didn't mean for me. I was searching to find out why and what does it all mean. we all have freedom to do as we please. But we all don't know everything and like someone mentioned to me about being holy and reverencing God I thought I did and come to find out I wasn't and I was grateful to that person for pointing it out to me.

I read somewhere in 1 cor that everything that happpen to the Hebrews in the desert was for our benefit. A lesson for us. I will look up a few things when I get home. I don't respond much while I am at work. Today the system is down. I can't get the scripture I was talking about. I also changed purses and so I don't have my bible with me.
Honestly, blaze...your post is all over the place and I'm still not sure what you are trying to say. But, I will say this....enjoy the rest of your day:yep:

Almaz

Nope I Love my 22K and 23K gold. 14-18K is nasty and cheap. If you are going to wear jewelry at least wear good jewelry.

I dont' think that there is anything wrong with it. I grew up around a lot of Copts and Orthodox Christians they wear their jewerly also and when it is parties and weddings look out. But on an everyday basis they are not looking like Mr. T like I have seen some people walking down the streets here in the states.

pearlygurl

I thought about what I think in my mind when I wear jewelry really I don't think nothing at first but inside I think it makes me look better, It shows my status or my pretend status. Most importantly I don't look or feel poor. I look like I have a few dollars and everything is right in the world.

From what you stated, your reasons for wearing jewelry don't seem to have the right intent and maybe God was showing you that. I think most women in this thread wear jewelry because they like it and they feel it adds (in a positive way) to their appearance.

I think a lot of the times we as Christians (I'm speaking generally OP) put too much emphasis on outward appearances and we sometimes miss the big picture. Dressing modestly, wearing no makeup or no jewelry doesn't automatically set us apart from the world. There are plenty of people (I know quite a few) who aren't saved that have a modest appearance. So what truly sets us apart from them? It's our spirit! :grin:

MizzCoco

This thread brings up some interesting issues. I agree with others that it becomes a sin when we treat it as an idol. Making anything an idol is a sin. I like for my jewlery to be small and dainty. To accentuate, and not distract people from who I am, or to show off how much money I may have spent. But this is my opinion, but as other posters have said, its a matter of personal conviction.

blazingthru

Honestly, blaze...your post is all over the place and I'm still not sure what you are trying to say. But, I will say this....enjoy the rest of your day:yep:
Nicey&Wavy,
I decided not to comment on your post. I see your point, I feel something about the way you have responded to me and I feel there is nothing else to add regarding my question. I think this forum is about sharing knowledge whether we agree or not. I am not a scholar I am learning and what I learn I share and I realize everything doesn't need to be shared. But I made a choice not to share any thing else i have learned amazed as sometimes I am. I was getting my bible out ready and then I felt that there really isn't a point. We feel the way we do and thats all. So I don't know everything and I admit that but I have an open mind. I do reflect on things other have shared.

Nice & Wavy

Nicey&Wavy,
I decided not to comment on your post. I see your point, I feel something about the way you have responded to me and I feel there is nothing else to add regarding my question. I think this forum is about sharing knowledge whether we agree or not. I am not a scholar I am learning and what I learn I share and I realize everything doesn't need to be shared. But I made a choice not to share any thing else i have learned amazed as sometimes I am. I was getting my bible out ready and then I felt that there really isn't a point. We feel the way we do and thats all. So I don't know everything and I admit that but I have an open mind. I do reflect on things other have shared.
Ok, my dear....blessings to you, always.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Nicey&Wavy,

Ok, my dear....blessings to you, always.

Beautiful.... :love2:

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

Wow, I am totally blown away at the defense, of wearing jewerly I was on the fence but now I am certain that God won't bless me if I wear jewerly ...Few find this road to christ. That sticks with me more and more I keep looking to see what is it that is hidden and not well known to the world or those that say they are christian can't seem to find it....this is all a shock and new to me. I am just amazed that no one thought it was interesting enough to even think about. Thats what I find very odd. I took it off when I first heard, I didn't take it all off now I admit that but I took most of it off.

G-d won't bless you adorned...is that because you turned your back on G-d for worldly fulfillment rather than lasting spiritual fulfillment? Man shall not live on bread alone but by every word that comes from the mouth of G-d. Jewelry and food aren't spiritually sustaining. They are neither sinful in and of themselves. This is what will happen to those in that scripture you cited. Actually, when you think about it, it's kinda funny with all those tempting jewelry ads on the top of the page...and the scripture...G-d will replace fragrance with stench :lachen:and strike them beldheaded ...I know...not funny, it just sounds humorous...G-d forbid the thought anyone should hate G-d. But if you haven't rejected Him, then that scripture will not apply to you. Satan condemns people with false guilt. You need a spiritual teacher/mentor. Christianity was not meant to be lived alone.

As far as the narrow road...I've heard just about every religion and sect use that scripture. Even where I go, which is unchanged liturgy around 1900 years...you will hear people say that it is the only Church. I'd like to think G-d is much more accepting of people than we think. Narrow road...thing is, what you consider sin, then abstain. But do not condemn others as sinful for what they do not consider to be sinful (and is not condemned as sin in scripture).

We have thought about it according to what you posted and we do not agree, simply. Follow your own convictions...but please be aware that people can be influenced by error from the confusion-maker. That can be dangerous.

Last edited:

Mrs.TheBronx

I think there is a difference between asking a question and genuinely looking for a response from others to enlighten you or to clarify, and asking a question on something you already have your mind set on, looking for the response that you (personally) want to hear, but dont take it well that others may not agree. Saying this as lovingly as I can, my mother always said, "don't ask the question if you are not prepared to handle the response." I used to be like dang! I hate when she say that! LOL but now can apply it to my everyday life. Anyways, we are all here learning. :) I love for us to share our thoughts and concerns with our sisters, but we have to watch our responses to make sure we are being honest but that its in love and not judging or saying anything to hurt one another cause thats not the intention of this Christian forum. God is so good and loves the FIRE we have for Him, lets not ruin it by not doing what He always does for us even tho we don't deserve it which is to... SHOW LOVE. :)

Love ya! :)

kgard7777

Blazingthru

I just want to applaud you and commend you on the jewelry thread you started. I am Seventh Day Adventist and because of what the bible teaches us about jewelry we are taught NOT to wear it. In fact, its such a no no that most married couples in the church don't exchange rings but watches instead.

I pray that God continues to speak to your heart as you grow closer to him

caribgirl

I find this topic very interesting and I have had many discussions about the topic of wearing jewelry as a christian with many friends, family, and coworkers.

Your question, OP is "what do I think of jewelry?". Here is my answer :yep::

I personally do not wear jewelry as it attracts attention- not to Christ but to me. Wearing small amounts of jewelry like gold studs or chains hidden under my blouse could "work" but then why am I really wearing it then? I want to be a shining star for Christ and I think that wearing jewelry or makeup takes away from this. Indeed, there are many people who may not wear any of this and are still not living a Godly life. I can not condemn this person but I can try to live MY life accordingly, read my bible, pray and commune with God, embrace his Holy Spirit, AND have the outward appearance of being God's temple.
Reading the bible, The Holy Spirit has led to find that in the beginning there was no mention of jewelery with Adam and Eve. Not even a ring was exchange between their union. Jewelry wasn't mentioned until after the sin of Adam and Eve. Even God tested his people in Exodus 33:5 by having them give evidence of their repentance and commanded them to remove it . In 1 Timothy 2:9-10, God tells us to not to wear jewelry but to profess good deeds.
Additionally, In the book of Revelation, we find two women, each symbolizing a church. Revelation 12 shows a woman in white, a pure woman. Aside from a crown, she is unadorned, and the crown she wears is a stephanos, a crown of victory. She represents a pure church. In contrast to her is a harlot, found in Revelation 17 and 18. She is dressed in scarlet and purple and quite fully adorned with jewelry. She represents an apostate church that makes war on those whom Jesus died for (cited from Pastor Larry Kirkpatrick @ grearcontroversy.org) .

Interestingly, we are discussing this topic on a hair forum :yep:. Just as I live MY everyday life, there are topics that I shun away from on this board BUT I pray that my presence here is to always uplift someone postively and have them see God in all that they do.

OP, I pray that the Holy Spirit continues to move you to find answers :yep:.

moonglowdiva

I just read the op and that's it. I didn't feel like reading many of the disertation that have been presented. I have a very short attention spam. I like to keep it pithy. As far as where I stand on jewelry. I don't think wearing jewelry in and of itself is a sin but the motives behind why you are wearing it might be. I will wear it modestly. I have multiple holes in each ear but as I get older, I realize that it kinda childish so I only wear earring in the first holes. I try to get jewelry to complement my wardrobe. I want to look put together well. I do not want to be noticed. I do not wear yellow gold jewelry. In my opinion its an attention getter. I wear rings only on one hand, sparingly. I like for things to be simple. Bling bling is not necessary. It's vanity.

kgard7777

Great post Caribgirl! I would also like to mention. In the earlier posts someone mentioned the pope and his adornment. As a way to excuse us from following what the bible says. Well that in and of itself is another topic. The pope is not God... he is just a man.

trenise

I've just read the first couple of posts. I'll go back and read the whole thread. But while this is on my mind, I've been to no jewelry, no make up churches before and even then if a person wants to be vain they can be. I've been around people who flaunt and/or brag about their hair, complexion, body etc, without wearing even a wedding ring because that was jewlry.

Personally I always wore tiny studs after I was saved because I wanted to be modest and it went along with the church I was in at the time. It wasn't to please God, it was to please the leaders and put on the right "appearance" of what they thought holiness was.

However, after I lost my hair to chemo, I got much bolder with the jewelry because I was looking butch IMO and I didn't want to come across the wrong way, ya know. So the jewelry and bigger earrings was one way I kept on looking like a feminine Christian woman IMO.

divya

My personal belief is that jewelry occupies a different role in itself than many other things...

For example, we wear clothes for the purpose of covering ourselves and being modest. Of course, we can allow clothes to occupy to become so important that it becomes an idol, a status symbol. However, clothes has a functional purpose in itself. The same thing with a car. The function of cars is to take us from point A to point B. A car can become an idol, if we place too much value on it. However, a car has a functional purpose in itself. :yep:

What is the function of jewelry in itself? Herein lies the difference. Honestly, it doesn't aid us in doing anything necessary. The only function of jewelry is to augment self and make self look better. If God wanted me to do that, He likely would have made me with holes in my ears, for example. Jewelry was a status symbol in the past, and many times it is a status symbol today. That's why some people want only more expensive and nice looking jewelry, even if they don't wear much. But even if one doesn't consider if a status symbol, as long as we are clean, neat and presentable, why do we need to augment our outer self?

Of course, there is nothing wrong with wanting to look nice. But everything can be taken too far. God wants us to concentrate on adorning our hearts with His principles, rather than adorning the outer person. 1 Timothy 2:9-10. When we concentrate on Him, then we do good works. Obsession with self is Satan's problem, one that we ought not to adapt. And even if I may be fine with a little jewelry, I refrain in case my actions may cause someone else to stumble back into their obsession with adornment. God wants the best for us, so that's why He instructed us that way.

So that's why I tend to refrain from jewelry, even though I would like to wear a bindi on my wedding day. :) That being said, I don't knock anyone who wears it. There are certainly simple and God-fearing women that wear jewelry, often a little amount. It's just that there is more to the issue than meets the eye. It took me a bit to understand that principle behind it, and it was only then that I applied it to my life.

God bless ladies.

P.S. I truly don't believe Blazing meant anything by this thread, which is why she began with her personal feelings about jewelry and then followed up with what she found in the Scriptures. Sometimes when you are really excited about the Word, you are excited to share to your fellow sisters and brothers in Christ. :)

Last edited:

thatscuteright

I like Jewelry and I do not think that I am going to Hell for wearing it.
I like Pants and I do not think that I am going to Hell for wearing them to church
I like makeup and cosmetics and I do not think that I am going to Hell for wearing it to church.

I do not think that God is going to turn me away from Heaven because I partake in the aforementioned things.

However I do believe that he will turn me away from Heaven if I deny his name, and live in a sinful manner, and those things I mentioned previously above I strongly do not classify as sinful . I think they are just facades and restrictions placed to hide the real meaning of living a Godly life.
What does wearing Jewelry have to do with you not commting murder or any other kind of sin ?

Last edited:

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Well, I guess I'm a sinner then, 'cause I just bought myself the most deliciously, beautiful and expensive 14K WG Pave Sapphire Hoops yesterday from the fine jewelry counter at Lord & Taylor.

Pray for me anyway.

divya

Well, I guess I'm a sinner then, 'cause I just bought myself the most deliciously, beautiful and expensive 14K WG Pave Sapphire Hoops yesterday from the fine jewelry counter at Lord & Taylor.

Pray for me anyway.

We are all sinners...and I'll pray for you, and please pray for me.

ETA: To clarify, we who accept Christ, are sinners saved by grace.

Last edited:

thatscuteright

Pray for me anyway.

I need prayer too because I have been eyeing this divine bracelet from Saks that I plan to get as a graduation gift, so I guess God forbid I will meet you in Hell.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
I need prayer too because I have been eyeing this divine bracelet from Saks that I plan to get as a graduation gift, so I guess God forbid I will meet you in Hell.

***JN breathless***

GAWGUS!!!! Enjoy it!
As my mother used to say "we're all gonna be busting Hell wide open." :look:

My God and Savior Jesus Christ is not concerned with whether or not we wear jewelry. It is our heart, our soul, our concern and charity towards our fellow men and other creatures that inhabit this earth.

hurricane

I don't think wearing jewelry will send you to hell unless it separates you from God. I think the children of Israel would look at the other nations and inch by inch adopt their culture which ultimately led to idolatry.

I wear gold earrings.

kgard7777

I don't think we should focus on what will and won't send us to hell. I think blazingthru is making the point that we should try to be pleasing in Gods sight.

When you go to church do you just put on dirty clothes and walk in God's holy place? No, of course not! So if God asks us to do something we should comply out of love. Not because we fear punishment.

divya

I don't think we should focus on what will and won't send us to hell. I think blazingthru is making the point that we should try to be pleasing in Gods sight.

When you go to church do you just put on dirty clothes and walk in God's holy place? No, of course not! So if God asks us to do something we should comply out of love. Not because we fear punishment.

Amen! Beautiful put...

caribgirl

Excellent point, Kgard!! What pleases Him, I want to do. This is my daily prayer. For me, Jewelry can be placed aside for Him.