what do you use to blow dry your hair straight?

isawstars

I normally blow dry my hair to get my roots straight so i don't have to use a flat iron... To do this i use Kenra's straightening serum and a round brush. Kenra's serum is very helpful but i'm wondering if there's another brush or comb i should use to straighten my hair. ...Does anyone flip their head upside down when blow drying? would any of you ladies share any tips?

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
To blow straight I've used ION Heat Protectant, then Kenra's Heat Styling spray, coconut oil and a nylon brush. I've never flip my head over though. I do mine section-by-section, concentrating the nozzle at my roots..

hth!

RainbowCurls

To blow dry my hair straight...

I put coconut oil on my hair when wet.
When it's mostly dry I apply a cream heat protector and blow dry in sections using this hot air brush (Babyliss Style and Shine):

I only use the round boar bristle attachment.
I clip up completed sections in a twisted bun type thing to avoid it frizzing up or getting mixed up with the uncompleted section.

This will make my hair fairly straight, BUT it will frizz really easily unless I follow by flat ironing. I do this in sections (again), using a spray heat protector on each section before straightening with my (in need of replacement) ceramic coated wide flat iron. I clip the sections up in the same way as after blow drying.

When it's all done, I'll apply a serum to, you guessed it, prevent frizzing.

Sorry about the essay! [size=-2]Can't wait til I BC and don't have to deal with this![/size]

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
PerfectDoak said:

When it's mostly dry I apply a cream heat protector and blow dry in sections using this hot air brush (Babyliss Style and Shine):

I clip up completed sections in a twisted bun type thing to avoid it frizzing up or getting mixed up with the uncompleted section.

This will make my hair fairly straight, BUT it will frizz really easily unless I follow by flat ironing. I do this in sections (again), using a spray heat protector on each section before straightening with my (in need of replacement) ceramic coated wide flat iron. I clip the sections up in the same way as after blow drying.

Sorry about the essay! [size=-2]Can't wait til I BC and don't have to deal with this![/size]

Whoa...you've never used the other attachments? This thing looks soooo awesome!! Where'd you get it?? Is it ionic?

RainbowCurls

onepraying said:
Whoa...you've never used the other attachments? This thing looks soooo awesome!!

I've never tried the concentrator (I have a real hair dryer if I just want to dry my hair), I tried the other two attachments and they sucked, or maybe I need to learn how to use them. It's very noisy though, I'll have to get some ear plugs to use while blow drying!

It is ionic. I got it off eBay, but it's usually about £10-20 here, and quite easy to find (I stole that pic off Amazon...) They probably make something similar in the US.

Last edited:

HairPhoenix

I know you're looking for advice, but I am going to tell you what NOT to use. I don't blowdry my hair much. Whenever I do I try to find a good heat protectant and/or thermal straightener. I recently used Got 2 B So Smooth thermal straightening cream. I forgot who makes it. It's the line of products in the bright orange packaging. I found them at Target among the "ethnic" hair care products.

Anyway, I used the cream after I washed and conditioned my hair. I took the time to go through my hair and apply it only to my new growth, like applying a touch-up. Then I used my blow dryer with the concentrator on and a cushion brush. I was trying to perform the contact drying technique that my hair stylist taught me. (I think it's the same technique as the Dominican blow out.) The end result... my new growth got straight. But I cannot express here how pissed I was that the cream had flaked in my hair!! :angry2: I looked like a had a serious case of dandruff! It was so bad that I had to start all over again and wash that :swearing: out of my hair! I threw that tube of cream right in the trash. :grin:

I have also tried the Soft & Beautiful Extend a Perm. I didn't like the detangling conditioner (gave me lots of breakage) but the thermal straightening cream was on. Once my hair was dry, I used Silk Elements Leave-in and flat ironed my new growth areas. My hair was straight. Overall, a much better experience.

Sorry for the long story, but I had to warn you about that cream.

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
PerfectDoak said:

That thing looks pretty handy.Perfectdoak is that what you mainly use it for or are other purposes also? How much did it cost and where could I find one online?

RainbowCurls

vikkisecret said:
That thing looks pretty handy.Perfectdoak is that what you mainly use it for or are other purposes also? How much did it cost and where could I find one online?

Yeah, I only use it for blowdrying, but it can apparently be used for making waves and curls but I wouldn't know where to start doing that!
I got it off ebay for £4. In the UK it's £10 in Wilkinsons or up to £20 elsewhere.
As you're in the US you probably shouldn't get the exact same model due to voltage differences, even with a travel adaptor, it'll probably not be powerful enough over there. I'm sure you can find something similar over there, such as this except it doesn't come with other attachments. I like the look of that one though, with the big barrel it'd probably straighten faster than mine!

baglady215

I can never get my roots as straight with a blow dryer as I can with a flat iron. I usually just blow my hair until it is 90% dry on a low setting, and then flat iron. I usually use L'Oreal Nature's Therapy Heat Control Leave In to blow dry with, then flat iron with Kenra Straightening Serum (love this stuff) and a little H6Oil. HTH!

baglady215

I got mine at Trade Secret. Kenra had sent me a sample and I fell in love with it. Have you gotten any samples?

Jewell

I use NTM Silk Touch Leave-In Cream, NTM Healing Shine Serum on the very ends, and Dabur Vatika oil. I don't like to pull my hair too much so all I use is the comb attachment on the blow dryer. I'm afraid of tangles using a round brush. The comb attachment basically works for detangling and straightens the roots just a teeny bit. I don't really want them straight when I blow dry-just combable!