What do you use to define your curls?

jaibee

My 4 year old nephew has naturally curly hair ( I guess 3a). Can someone please help me and his mother figure out what to put on his hair to define his curls? Most stuff we try to use for our 4a hair just dry out on his hair and leave his hair kind of hard. Curly haired people help me out! Thanks!

pookeylou

Try...aloe vera gel...works just like curl activator
Some even use curl activator...but if it has alcohol..watch out...

A little bit of shea butter warmed up in your hands till it melts and then rubbed in his hair will make it soft and define the curls...

Spritzing with leave in conditioner mixed with a light oil...like cocoanut or rosemary (watch out for kids though...they could be allergic)...would do the same....

Those are a few suggestions...maybe others have some.

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
I mix water/glycerin/conditioner and spritz it on my hair to "poof" up my curls. 6-8 oz of water + 1-2 teaspoons of glycerin and conditioner is all I use. I condition "wash", then while my hair is very wet, I spritz. Sometimes I apply gel at this time too. On other days, I just spritz with plain water. I only wash (with conditioner) once or twice per week, so I'm spritzing with plain water most days. Eliminating shampoo (except once/month or so) has done wonders for curl maintenance too.

The L'Oreal Anti-Frizz gel (medium hold) works well for keeping my curls intact. It doesn't get hard once it dries and has glycerin in it.

Spritzing and gel when the hair is soaking wet achieves a different affect than doing it when the hair is damp. Doing it with soaking wet hair ends up leaving me with hanging spirals, while the damp hair will have somewhat fuller, fluffier curls throughout. I don't have a picture (yet) of the first, but the latter is in the gallery because that's the way I usually do it and don't use gel that often.

CaramelKiss

[ QUOTE ]
CurlyCrly said:
I mix water/glycerin/conditioner and spritz it on my hair to "poof" up my curls. 6-8 oz of water + 1-2 teaspoons of glycerin and conditioner is all I use. I condition "wash", then while my hair is very wet, I spritz. Sometimes I apply gel at this time too. On other days, I just spritz with plain water. I only wash (with conditioner) once or twice per week, so I'm spritzing with plain water most days. Eliminating shampoo (except once/month or so) has done wonders for curl maintenance too.

The L'Oreal Anti-Frizz gel (medium hold) works well for keeping my curls intact. It doesn't get hard once it dries and has glycerin in it.

Spritzing and gel when the hair is soaking wet achieves a different affect than doing it when the hair is damp. Doing it with soaking wet hair ends up leaving me with hanging spirals, while the damp hair will have somewhat fuller, fluffier curls throughout. I don't have a picture (yet) of the first, but the latter is in the gallery because that's the way I usually do it and don't use gel that often.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, your routine is similar to mine, except I shampoo once a week.

Also, I notice the same thing, when I apply products to dripping wet hair I get really pretty spirals and on damp hair, fluffy curls. I love both but the problem I'm experiencing at the moment is the poodle hair as my hair is growing out and so I wear it pulled back in a ponytail.

I also deep condition twice a week in this cold weather to pump up the moisture.

buffalosoldier

Personally I would put as little as possible on a childs hair. You could just wet it and use the 'Loreal for kids' hair gel. We use the watermelon shampoo for thick/curly hair on my nephew and it is really nice--the whole line is.

jaibee

thanks everyone. i had been eyeing that loreal line for him

his hair is beautiful and I wish I had it on my head *sigh* can we ever be satisfied???

Karonica

The best thing that has worked for me is the Black and Sassy Creamy Set. Problem is, it smells like bananas in the jar, but once you put it on your hair, it smells like vomit. My mother came in my room and said, "Pew! It smells like spit-up in here!"

soulchild

Ive heard good things about Salon Selectives Molding Putty for curl definition. I think I'm gonna pick some up since Walgreens has it on sale until tomorrow, buy 1/get 1 free.

Chimma

Do a review for us soulchild after you're done! I've heard good things about it too, so I'd like to know how well it works even though I won't be natural for a while.

buffalosoldier

SS molding putty is excellant it is like a salon quality product. I used it more for shine and texture. you coud use it on any hair type.

hair 3c

inthepink

[ QUOTE ]
Karonica said:
The best thing that has worked for me is the Black and Sassy Creamy Set. Problem is, it smells like bananas in the jar, but once you put it on your hair, it smells like vomit. My mother came in my room and said, "Pew! It smells like spit-up in here!"

[/ QUOTE ]

That black n sassy is gross smelling. I finally just threw mine away! Why would I use that when I have stuff that smells so much better!

buffalosoldier

[ QUOTE ]
Chimma said:
What do you mean by texture?
Do you get shine w/o straightening your hair?

Sounds good so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wear my hair frizzy curly and I would put that on last after the other products. It brought out the texture (gave it a nice smooth finish and defined curls) anyway if you buy some you will be able to find a use for it, it smells lovely and it lasts for ages.

hair 3c

coilygirl

We use Nexxus Headdress on my daughter's large, wavy "S" curls.

1) wet the head with water (squirt bottle or wet head under the running faucet.)
2) apply a very generous amount of Nexxus Headdress.

Works well for curls and waves.

HTH
coilygirl

Spicee1t

[ QUOTE ]
pookeylou said:
Try...aloe vera gel...works just like curl activator

[/ QUOTE ]

I just tried some on my daughter's hair (not sure if it's 3 a, b, or c) and all I can say is-WOW! I never thought to use this on her hair. Talk about defined curls! Her hair looks very moisturized, as well. Good suggestion!