What does MSM do?

anahnamuslyyours

So what's the difference between MSM powder and MSM flakes? I'm currently taking a teaspoon daily of the powder, but maybe I need to switch to flakes? TIA!

sareca

belladionne922 said:
So what's the difference between MSM powder and MSM flakes? I'm currently taking a teaspoon daily of the powder, but maybe I need to switch to flakes? TIA!
I got great results from taking 2,000mg capsules, so I don't think you need to switch. I switched because I wanted to increase the dosage and I didn't want to take 3-4 capsules everyday.

This is what my vendor says about flakes. Uh, keep in mind he's trying to sell something. ;)

Powders
There are two types of "Powder"
The latest hi-tech crystallisation and distillation processes produce naturally fine crystal / flakes which resemble powders.
To get the same effect, some lo-tech manufacturers grind the larger crystal / flakes into a fine powder - this is where some problems may arise.
You can see the difference with a strong magnifying glass ! High quality forms of MSM will appear as mini crystal / flakes whereas the cheaper forms look like fine chalk powder.
The fine powder produced by the grinding method tends to set into large, very hard lumps (sometimes as hard as ice) which are difficult to process consequently, some suppliers add flow agents like silica for ease of tubbing and product appearance.
Once a flow agent has been added it's very easy for an unscrupulous supplier to cut it with bulking ingredients which are also available in fine powder form - take magnesium Stearate for example or talc (a trade term for a cheap unscented bulking ingredient)
Potential Problems with ground down powders
So, MSM powder produced by the ginding process has three potential problems for the unknowing purchaser:
1. It may contain a flow agent.
2. It may be cut with a cheap bulking ingredient.
3. It may be pure but generally will form large hard lumps in the tub which can be somewhat difficult for the end customer to use.
Crystals / Flakes
In contrast, crystals / flakes:
1. Are essentially free-flowing i.e. They don't need a flow agent as the crystals / flakes don't lock together. Note: Some "soft clumping" will nearly always occur in product tubs and containers of even the best types of MSM (a good sign that there are no flow agents in it !) The clumps resemble soft snow balls which break up quite readily, a quick shake of the tub usually does the trick. Tip - don't leave your MSM tub in a damp place or where there's lots of steam (ie Near a kettle) or it will certainly lock together !
2. Avoid the possibility of containing a cheap bulking ingredient.
Crystals / flakes are a far superior product depending on a further very important factor:
Purity
The quality of the manufacturing process is critical whether crystals / flakes or powder.
There are currently concerns about the purity of synthetic MSM imported from the Far East. This is justified in some cases however, we know of at least one Chinese manufacturer who use pure water in their processing and has excellent quality control.
One manufacturer of synthetic MSM in Canada uses pure water and has good quality control (Opti MSM)
Another manufacturer in Canada, uses very pure processing for MSM derived from natural pine tree source - (DistilPure MSM)

http://a1msm.com

anahnamuslyyours

sareca said:
I got great results from taking 2,000mg capsules, so I don't think you need to switch. I switched because I wanted to increase the dosage and I didn't want to take 3-4 capsules everyday.

This is what my vendor says about flakes. Uh, keep in mind he's trying to sell something. ;)

Powders
There are two types of "Powder"
The latest hi-tech crystallisation and distillation processes produce naturally fine crystal / flakes which resemble powders.
To get the same effect, some lo-tech manufacturers grind the larger crystal / flakes into a fine powder - this is where some problems may arise.
You can see the difference with a strong magnifying glass ! High quality forms of MSM will appear as mini crystal / flakes whereas the cheaper forms look like fine chalk powder.
The fine powder produced by the grinding method tends to set into large, very hard lumps (sometimes as hard as ice) which are difficult to process consequently, some suppliers add flow agents like silica for ease of tubbing and product appearance.
Once a flow agent has been added it's very easy for an unscrupulous supplier to cut it with bulking ingredients which are also available in fine powder form - take magnesium Stearate for example or talc (a trade term for a cheap unscented bulking ingredient)
Potential Problems with ground down powders
So, MSM powder produced by the ginding process has three potential problems for the unknowing purchaser:
1. It may contain a flow agent.
2. It may be cut with a cheap bulking ingredient.
3. It may be pure but generally will form large hard lumps in the tub which can be somewhat difficult for the end customer to use.
Crystals / Flakes
In contrast, crystals / flakes:
1. Are essentially free-flowing i.e. They don't need a flow agent as the crystals / flakes don't lock together. Note: Some "soft clumping" will nearly always occur in product tubs and containers of even the best types of MSM (a good sign that there are no flow agents in it !) The clumps resemble soft snow balls which break up quite readily, a quick shake of the tub usually does the trick. Tip - don't leave your MSM tub in a damp place or where there's lots of steam (ie Near a kettle) or it will certainly lock together !
2. Avoid the possibility of containing a cheap bulking ingredient.
Crystals / flakes are a far superior product depending on a further very important factor:
Purity
The quality of the manufacturing process is critical whether crystals / flakes or powder.
There are currently concerns about the purity of synthetic MSM imported from the Far East. This is justified in some cases however, we know of at least one Chinese manufacturer who use pure water in their processing and has excellent quality control.
One manufacturer of synthetic MSM in Canada uses pure water and has good quality control (Opti MSM)
Another manufacturer in Canada, uses very pure processing for MSM derived from natural pine tree source - (DistilPure MSM)

http://a1msm.com
Thanks for the info! I've noticed the clumping, but it's nothing too hard to breka up, so I guess my MSM is pretty pure (it says 99.9% on the tub, so I wasn't too worried).

Nice & Wavy

*Dee* said:
And don't forget to add vitamin C to the mix. You can supplement it with OJ. It stimulates the scalp and circulates more blood flow to the scalp which will increase your growth rate when taking msm!! :brainy:

Yes, I take Ester C with it everyday.

goldensensation

I just ordered some MSM (from GNC, where I get my other vitamins). It comes with glucosamine. I am excited about the potential benefits that I will see with both my hair and health (I have fibromyalgia). I dont plan on going as high as some of you ladies on the dosages though. That scares me. :lol:

DMarie

What brand do you use??

thanks
DMarie

belladionne922 said:
Thanks for the info! I've noticed the clumping, but it's nothing too hard to breka up, so I guess my MSM is pretty pure (it says 99.9% on the tub, so I wasn't too worried).

LaidBak

Resurrecting this old thread because i just bought some MSM. Anybody have any updates? Anybody consider this a staple? Still getting good growth?