What does my hair need?

:wallbash::wallbash: I am natural for 2 years. I recently cut off a year's growth b/c of color damage. So now my hair is completely chemical free although I do Henna/indigo every 8 weeks. I cut my hair again b/c of split ends and several hairs that had split shafts. My hair felt so much better after the cut. However. I just did the sink test and every hair immediately sank to the bottom of the cup. I have a full sew-in right now. I don't use heat except for my steamer once a week. I am totally lost as to how to start a hhj. I am chemical/heat free and still my hair is considered damaged? Please help me ladies!!:wallbash::wallbash:

Are you talking about the porosity test where you see how long it take for your hair to sink in a cup of water?

I have never been sure about how accurate this is but either way it doesn't mean that your hair is damaged it just means that your hair is very porous. You can try porosity control to correct it and you might even want to treat your hair more often. I know that henna (I do it pretty frequently) and coconut oil have helped me balance my porosity though my issues are the opposite of yours.

I agree with the above. It does not mean your hair is damaged, just porous. with your next DC use porosity control.

It doesn't mean your hair is damaged. I think that afro textured hair is naturally porous. So it's not just chemically treated ladies with porous tendencies.
People on here have great success with acv rinses, but make sure you dilute the apple cider vinegar. I've never done it but I'm sure someone that has can pipe in.

Thanks ladies! Yes,VKB247, that is the one I did. I am feeling a bit relieved that it may not be damage b/c I don't see how it could be! What is porousity control?

waitt, i have never heard of the sink test. and what is porosity control>? is that a protein? and doesnt protein filll in the wholes? so why not just do a protein treatment??

confuesed)

Hey AA24! Porosity is not protein, its a measure of how open (or lifted) your cuticles are. The more open, the more poros(sp? left my brain at home). Porosity Control helps lower the pH of your hair, thus closing the cuticles. This helps keep moisture in and brings out the *bling* shine.

Thanks ladies! Yes,VKB247, that is the one I did. I am feeling a bit relieved that it may not be damage b/c I don't see how it could be! What is porousity control?

Porosity Control is a product that lowers the ph of the hair, subsequently closing the cuticles and decreasing the porosity of the hair.
You don't need porosity control though, you can decrease the porosity of your hair by simply rinsing with cold water at the end of wash day, or rinsing with diluted ACV. White vinegar works too.

Are you sure its not the Henna/Indigo you are putting in your hair. If your hair is very porous it probably wouldn't like the henna/indigo.

Hey AA24! Porosity is not protein, its a measure of how open (or lifted) your cuticles are. The more open, the more poros(sp? left my brain at home). Porosity Control helps lower the pH of your hair, thus closing the cuticles. This helps keep moisture in and brings out the *bling* shine.

OOOhhhhhhhhh<---really loud.

thank you.

Porosity Control is a product that lowers the ph of the hair, subsequently closing the cuticles and decreasing the porosity of the hair.
You don't need porosity control though, you can decrease the porosity of your hair by simply rinsing with cold water at the end of wash day, or rinsing with diluted ACV. White vinegar works too.

ooohhhh kkkk, im so glad i know this now. i will do the cold water thing just to stay on the safe side. i do a sink test too lol. here is my version of the sink test: i shake my head over the sink really ruff and see if there are little hairs folling out, i also comb hair over sink. thats my sink test and so far so good, no hairs in sink.:yep:

I cold rinse every wash and i'm still porous :nono: I'm trying porosity control this wk.

Back