What Holidays Do You Celebrate and Why?

Cinnabuns

I know that allot of Christians (such as myself) don’t celebrate all holidays like Halloween, Easter, etc. Do you celebrate all holidays? If so which ones are they and why or why not?

PretteePlease

#fakeworkouts
i'm not into easter or christmas because my heart is not settled with the mix of pagan practices mixed with christian practices years ago in the beginning of the church
in order to get people to convert. it might be fine for some but when Jesus left he said
about communion "This do in remembrance of me" so i dont need to celebrate either of
those seperately i acknowledge them at the time of communion. I especially have a
problem with the particular dates of these holidays taken directly from pagan holidays.

star

Easter is Christian Holiday. Next to Christimas it is the most important season for a Christian. Although the world may try to change our Holy days into just holidays, we must remain focus on what Jesus did on the cross for all those who believe. You must as a Christian celebrate, remember and reflect on what Jesus did at the cross. Please do some research on this. Halloween is definetly out since does not have any part of it that honors God. Any holiday that does not honor God you should stay away from. Some of our holiday indirectly honor God such as Mother's Day, Father's Day, Grandparent's and even Valentine's Day(should be married). The world has taken a lot of things that were created by Christians thousands years ago and have tried to change. But it is up to us Christians to be a light in keep Christ in it. Just because others are doing wrong does not mean we should give it up. :D
Cinnabuns said:
I know that allot of Christians (such as myself) don’t celebrate all holidays like Halloween, Easter, etc. Do you celebrate all holidays? If so which ones are they and why or why not?

star

Please see what I have written above and pray on it and let God give you revelation. :)

msportugal said:
i'm not into easter or christmas because my heart is not settled with the mix of pagan practices mixed with christian practices years ago in the beginning of the church
in order to get people to convert. it might be fine for some but when Jesus left he said
about communion "This do in remembrance of me" so i dont need to celebrate either of
those seperately i acknowledge them at the time of communion. I especially have a
problem with the particular dates of these holidays taken directly from pagan holidays.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I celebrate the following holidays:

New Year's Day - my immediate family and I gather around in a circle and pray at 12am to start off the new year
Valentine's Day - just for fun with my significant other, go out to eat, spend time together (no sexual activity ;) )
Easter - my family and I mainly celebrate it during church if we have an Easter program
Mother's Day & Father's Day - I just give a gift to my parents
Memorial Day - usually have a family reunion, hang out, eat, have fun, and keeping those who have died in mind
Fourth of July - family reunion
Labor Day - family reunion
Thanksgiving - to give praise & thanks to God for so many blessings, have a family reunion
Christmas - to celebrate the birth of Jesus, give and receive gifts, sometimes a family reunion

*I have A LOT of family reunions (only on my mom's side of the family, seldom/rarely see my dad's side of the family)! We just gotta lotta love for each other! :grin:

I've never celebrated Halloween. When I was younger, I never went trick-or-treating. My family and I lived out in the country and didn't live around many people. So I think we never went mainly because of the dangers of receiving candy from other people. I never thought of it as an evil holiday until I got older and learned about it.

Last edited:

Poohbear

msportugal said:
I'm a Christian that celebrates these holidays and I think I understand where you are coming from, msportugal. :yep: But I think of it this way: Christmas and most other holidays are American traditions. I took an African-American studies class and holidays were classified as the "White Man holidays." Besides that, men actually created these holidays and the ideas that go along with them. Like Christmas...where did these ideas of the yuletide tree, Santa Claus, and other things come about? I'm sure God wants us to celebrate, praise, and thank Him for His son Jesus but not just on certain days of the year... why not everyday of the year? I've just grew up in a family that celebrates these holidays... through the American tradition.
Let's take Christmas for example. I was discussing with my sister once about how I will celebrate Christmas when I have a family of my own. I'm thinking about not giving presents at all on Christmas... just have a family dedication to Jesus and reflect on what He did for us and incorporate Bible study and prayer. Why spend all your hard earn money for just one day on family, friends, or other people when you may or may not give to these people throughout the year??? I'm sure some people's purpose of giving presents is to celebrate God giving us Jesus and how the three wise men gave gifts to Jesus, but I do not think God intended us to give and receive gifts just on Christmas day and be spendrift with your money. He wants us to give and be generous throughout the whole year. That's how I see it. ;)

Last edited:

Cinnabuns

Here is some interesting information on Valentine's Day:

As early as the fourth century B.C., the Romans engaged in an annual young man's rite to passage to the God Lupercus. The names of the teenage women were placed in a box and drawn at random by adolescent men; thus, a man was assigned a woman companion for the duration of the year, after which another lottery was staged. After eight hundred years of this cruel practice, the early church fathers sought to end this practice... They found an answer in Valentine, a bishop who had been martyred some two hundred years earlier.

According to church tradition St. Valentine was a priest near Rome in about the year 270 A.D. At that time the Roman Emperor Claudius-II who had issued an edict forbidding marriage.
This was around when the heyday of Roman empire had almost come to an end. Lack of quality administrators led to frequent civil strife. Learning declined, taxation increased, and trade slumped to a low, precarious level. And the Gauls, Slavs, Huns, Turks and Mongolians from Northern Europe and Asian increased their pressure on the empire's boundaries. The empire was grown too large to be shielded from external aggression and internal chaos with existing forces. Thus more of capable men were required to be recruited as soldiers and officers. When Claudius became the emperor, he felt that married men were more emotionally attached to their families, and thus, will not make good soldiers. So to assure quality soldiers, he banned marriage.
Valentine, a bishop , seeing the trauma of young lovers, met them in a secret place, and joined them in the sacrament of matrimony. Claudius learned of this "friend of lovers," and had him arrested. The emperor, impressed with the young priest's dignity and conviction, attempted to convert him to the roman gods, to save him from certain execution. Valentine refused to recognize Roman Gods and even attempted to convert the emperor, knowing the consequences fully.
On February 24, 270, Valentine was executed.

"From your Valentine"
While Valentine was in prison awaiting his fate, he came in contact with his jailor, Asterius. The jailor had a blind daughter. Asterius requested him to heal his daughter. Through his faith he miraculously restored the sight of Asterius' daughter. Just before his execution, he asked for a pen and paper from his jailor, and signed a farewell message to her "From Your Valentine," a phrase that lived ever after.

Valentine thus become a Patron Saint, and spiritual overseer of an annual festival. The festival involved young Romans offering women they admired, and wished to court, handwritten greetings of affection on February 14. The greeting cards acquired St.Valentine's name.

The Valentine's Day card spread with Christianity, and is now celebrated all over the world. One of the earliest card was sent in 1415 by Charles, duke of Orleans, to his wife while he was a prisoner in the Tower of London. The card is now preserved in the British Museum.

I also read that Valentine's execution was quit grusome, they cut out his heart!

Blossssom

Cinnabuns said:

You're a Christian and you don't celebrate Easter? Isn't Easter the day of the risen Lord?

Blossssom

star said:
Easter is Christian Holiday. Next to Christimas it is the most important season for a Christian. Although the world may try to change our Holy days into just holidays, we must remain focus on what Jesus did on the cross for all those who believe. You must as a Christian celebrate, remember and reflect on what Jesus did at the cross. Please do some research on this. Halloween is definetly out since does not have any part of it that honors God. Any holiday that does not honor God you should stay away from. Some of our holiday indirectly honor God such as Mother's Day, Father's Day, Grandparent's and even Valentine's Day(should be married). The world has taken a lot of things that were created by Christians thousands years ago and have tried to change. But it is up to us Christians to be a light in keep Christ in it. Just because others are doing wrong does not mean we should give it up. :D

I agree with you, Star. Just because the world has turned Christmas and Easter in to pagan "holidays" doesn't mean that Christians should stop celebrating them.

These two days are the biggest days in the Christian religion. You can't stop celebrating them because society has "taken them over" and turned them into days celebrating fat white men in red suits and white bunnies.

Celebrate the important days the way God/Jesus would intend you to, and let the pagans do it the way their pocketbooks would intend them to. One has nothing to do with the other.

Blossssom

Poohbear said:
I'm a Christian that celebrates these holidays and I think I understand where you are coming from, msportugal. :yep: But I think of it this way: Christmas and most other holidays are American traditions. I took an African-American studies class and holidays were classified as the "White Man holidays." Besides that, men actually created these holidays and the ideas that go along with them. Like Christmas...where did these ideas of the yuletide tree, Santa Claus, and other things come about? I'm sure God wants us to celebrate, praise, and thank Him for His son Jesus but not just on certain days of the year... why not everyday of the year? I've just grew up in a family that celebrates these holidays... through the American tradition.
Let's take Christmas for example. I was discussing with my sister once about how I will celebrate Christmas when I have a family of my own. I'm thinking about not giving presents at all on Christmas... just have a family dedication to Jesus and reflect on what He did for us and incorporate Bible study and prayer. Why spend all your hard earn money for just one day on family, friends, or other people when you may or may not give to these people throughout the year??? I'm sure some people's purpose of giving presents is to celebrate God giving us Jesus and how the three wise men gave gifts to Jesus, but I do not think God intended us to give and receive gifts just on Christmas day and be spendrift with your money. He wants us to give and be generous throughout the whole year. That's how I see it. ;)

Another excellent post. I listen to a bible minister on the radio and he said when he and his wife were raising their children, they MADE gifts to give to others. They just bought the supplies. They also gave fruits and nuts.

star

Just remember anything with the word Saint(St.) comes from spiritual aspect. These titles were widely used by Catholics who are Chrisitians as you have demonstrated below. I know this hard to believe but history of this country was founded by Christians. On all the federal builidng in Washington D.C there are engraved scriputes and on our money is In GOd we trust. One the building had a open Bible in plasic case outside that was just remove by protesteor who said the Bible offended him when he enter the building. So we do have a good foundation but others are trying to change things. This is why God blesses america more than any other country. Some places do even have good crops or safe drinking water. :D

Cinnabuns said:
Here is some interesting information on Valentine's Day:

As early as the fourth century B.C., the Romans engaged in an annual young man's rite to passage to the God Lupercus. The names of the teenage women were placed in a box and drawn at random by adolescent men; thus, a man was assigned a woman companion for the duration of the year, after which another lottery was staged. After eight hundred years of this cruel practice, the early church fathers sought to end this practice... They found an answer in Valentine, a bishop who had been martyred some two hundred years earlier.

According to church tradition St. Valentine was a priest near Rome in about the year 270 A.D. At that time the Roman Emperor Claudius-II who had issued an edict forbidding marriage.
This was around when the heyday of Roman empire had almost come to an end. Lack of quality administrators led to frequent civil strife. Learning declined, taxation increased, and trade slumped to a low, precarious level. And the Gauls, Slavs, Huns, Turks and Mongolians from Northern Europe and Asian increased their pressure on the empire's boundaries. The empire was grown too large to be shielded from external aggression and internal chaos with existing forces. Thus more of capable men were required to be recruited as soldiers and officers. When Claudius became the emperor, he felt that married men were more emotionally attached to their families, and thus, will not make good soldiers. So to assure quality soldiers, he banned marriage.
Valentine, a bishop , seeing the trauma of young lovers, met them in a secret place, and joined them in the sacrament of matrimony. Claudius learned of this "friend of lovers," and had him arrested. The emperor, impressed with the young priest's dignity and conviction, attempted to convert him to the roman gods, to save him from certain execution. Valentine refused to recognize Roman Gods and even attempted to convert the emperor, knowing the consequences fully.
On February 24, 270, Valentine was executed.

"From your Valentine"
While Valentine was in prison awaiting his fate, he came in contact with his jailor, Asterius. The jailor had a blind daughter. Asterius requested him to heal his daughter. Through his faith he miraculously restored the sight of Asterius' daughter. Just before his execution, he asked for a pen and paper from his jailor, and signed a farewell message to her "From Your Valentine," a phrase that lived ever after.

Valentine thus become a Patron Saint, and spiritual overseer of an annual festival. The festival involved young Romans offering women they admired, and wished to court, handwritten greetings of affection on February 14. The greeting cards acquired St.Valentine's name.

The Valentine's Day card spread with Christianity, and is now celebrated all over the world. One of the earliest card was sent in 1415 by Charles, duke of Orleans, to his wife while he was a prisoner in the Tower of London. The card is now preserved in the British Museum.

I also read that Valentine's execution was quit grusome, they cut out his heart!

DelightfulFlame

The same Christians that founded this country also enslaved my people in the name of Christianity. I don't claim to know the mind of God, but I don't fully think that is why this country is so "blessed". Especially if the blessings that you refer to are the ones that came from the blood and back pains of my ancestors or the stolen land from the native americans.

Just about every nation on earth has had their time of being blessed and on top in history...some Christian nations...some not. In fact, while Europe was experiencing its dark ages, other nations (some in Africa) had some of their most prosperous times in history. I'm a Christian too...I just don't agree with America's exploitation of so many people in the name of Christianity (not true Christianity of course) as being considered the reason why this country is so "blessed".

ETA: And then you have to define blessings. Yea, we have money and material things. But the family structure is a mess...we have all kinds of ethical and moral dilemmas (ie. taught to cheat and white lie to get by...do whatever for the love of money). We don't know our neighbors. We don't care much for people who aren't in our immediate circle. Of course this is a huge generalization, but much of this country is rude and selfish. Not by any means everyone, but this is the attitude/atmosphere that we project. I know that every country has it's problems, but I would argue that we aren't much better than anyone else. We just think we are.

Reminds me of that movie...Head of State..."God bless America and no place else!" :)

Last edited:

sugaplum

Star Shooter
Blossssom said:
You're a Christian and you don't celebrate Easter? Isn't Easter the day of the risen Lord?

I don't celebrate Easter either and I'm a Christian becuase there is no where in the Bible where there is a specific day that Jesus rose from the dead??? Also, I don't believe that Easter is all about coloring eggs, egg hunts, bunnies hoping around, and eating candy. I know that Jesus rose from the dead (in my heart) :) I highly doubt that ANYONE was coloring eggs while Jesus was risen!!! :nono:

I don't celebrate Halloween either becuase it is pagenistic. My question to parents is "Why is it that we tell our children 'Don't except candy from strangers' but on Halloween the kids are going door-to-door asking for candy from strangers?? :confused:

PretteePlease

#fakeworkouts
Ok just to clarify I am a Christian. I believe in the trinity and that God became man was born, died on the cross and rose in 3 days with all power. I believe that you cant just celebrate any and every holiday out there and then say I'm doing this to the Glory of God. Easter wasnt made pagan it started pagan and then was tweeked a bit to increase the numbers of the church. Christmas is the same way. These dates were directly taken from pagan practices. When it comes to holidays to each their own i'm not going to down anyone for what they do in that respect but. I'm not going to celebrate any holiday out of tradition and then say well glory to God he knows my heart. We were not told to hold any of these holidays in high esteem. Jesus knew what he came for and that he was going to leave and never once mentioned that we should celebrate his birth or his death as holy days. What did he say about remembering him? He said take communion. If there is anything different in the bible please point it out and i will consider changing my views.

Origins of the name "Easter":
The name "Easter" originated with the names of an ancient Goddess and God. The Venerable Bede, (672-735 CE.) a Christian scholar, first asserted in his book De Ratione Temporum that Easter was named after Eostre (a.k.a. Eastre). She was the Great Mother Goddess of the Saxon people in Northern Europe. Similarly, the "Teutonic dawn goddess of fertility [was] known variously as Ostare, Ostara, Ostern, Eostra, Eostre, Eostur, Eastra, Eastur, Austron and Ausos." 1 Her name was derived from the ancient word for spring: "eastre."

--see shes the goddess of fertility thus the rabbits and baby chicks and eggs.

i could post about the pagan origins of christmas but i dont want it to start to look like
a debate. I came to the realization that these were not for me after many tears and lots of prayer. I do believe that christ died for my sins.

DelightfulFlame

msportugal said:
Ok just to clarify I am a Christian. I believe in the trinity and that God became man was born, died on the cross and rose in 3 days with all power. I believe that you cant just celebrate any and every holiday out there and then say I'm doing this to the Glory of God. Easter wasnt made pagan it started pagan and then was tweeked a bit to increase the numbers of the church. Christmas is the same way. These dates were directly taken from pagan practices. When it comes to holidays to each their own i'm not going to down anyone for what they do in that respect but. I'm not going to celebrate any holiday out of tradition and then say well glory to God he knows my heart. We were not told to hold any of these holidays in high esteem. Jesus knew what he came for and that he was going to leave and never once mentioned that we should celebrate his birth or his death as holy days. What did he say about remembering him? He said take communion. If there is anything different in the bible please point it out and i will consider changing my views.

The name "Easter" originated with the names of an ancient Goddess and God. The Venerable Bede, (672-735 CE.) a Christian scholar, first asserted in his book De Ratione Temporum that Easter was named after Eostre (a.k.a. Eastre). She was the Great Mother Goddess of the Saxon people in Northern Europe. Similarly, the "Teutonic dawn goddess of fertility [was] known variously as Ostare, Ostara, Ostern, Eostra, Eostre, Eostur, Eastra, Eastur, Austron and Ausos." 1 Her name was derived from the ancient word for spring: "eastre."

i could post about the pagan origins of christmas but i dont want it to start to look like
a debate. I came to the realization that these were not for me after many tears and lots of prayer. I do believe that christ died for my sins.

good point. I'm looking at my holidays and seeing which ones I will celebrate and how. I don't think it's enough to just celebrate b/c I always have. I'm looking to find out the meanings of the days and how to celebrate them. If they don't fit, then they've got to go. Tradition or not. The bible says to prove all things. I might end up with a few of my own holidays in there that aren't celebrated by Christianity too. Who knows? We'll see...

Blossssom

sugaplum said:
I don't celebrate Easter either and I'm a Christian becuase there is no where in the Bible where there is a specific day that Jesus rose from the dead??? Also, I don't believe that Easter is all about coloring eggs, egg hunts, bunnies hoping around, and eating candy. I know that Jesus rose from the dead (in my heart) :) I highly doubt that ANYONE was coloring eggs while Jesus was risen!!! :nono:

I don't celebrate Halloween either becuase it is pagenistic. My question to parents is "Why is it that we tell our children 'Don't except candy from strangers' but on Halloween the kids are going door-to-door asking for candy from strangers?? :confused:

Easter is like Christmas. No, we don't know what day Christ was born, nor do we know what day he was resurrected.

That's why certain days have been set aside to celebrate these monumental occasions in the Christian religion.

You're so right. Easter is not about eggs and candy, just as Christmas isn't about race cars and Barbie dolls.

My mother bought egg dye for me and Barbie dolls to celebrate the PAGAN side of these holidays. Of course, as a child, I was as happy as the next, but as an adult, I wish she would have stuck to what Christmas and Easter really meant to our faith.

I encourage all Christians to celebrate as God would have you these special days. Forget the PAGAN side of it. It's meaningless to you.

Last edited:

Blossssom

msportugal said:

Thank you! :)

shinyblackhair

DelightfulFlame said:
The same Christians that founded this country also enslaved my people in the name of Christianity. I don't claim to know the mind of God, but I don't fully think that is why this country is so "blessed". Especially if the blessings that you refer to are the ones that came from the blood and back pains of my ancestors or the stolen land from the native americans.

Just about every nation on earth has had their time of being blessed and on top in history...some Christian nations...some not. In fact, while Europe was experiencing its dark ages, other nations (some in Africa) had some of their most prosperous times in history. I'm a Christian too...I just don't agree with America's exploitation of so many people in the name of Christianity (not true Christianity of course) as being considered the reason why this country is so "blessed".

ETA: And then you have to define blessings. Yea, we have money and material things. But the family structure is a mess...we have all kinds of ethical and moral dilemmas (ie. taught to cheat and white lie to get by...do whatever for the love of money). We don't know our neighbors. We don't care much for people who aren't in our immediate circle. Of course this is a huge generalization, but much of this country is rude and selfish. Not by any means everyone, but this is the attitude/atmosphere that we project. I know that every country has it's problems, but I would argue that we aren't much better than anyone else. We just think we are.

Reminds me of that movie...Head of State..."God bless America and no place else!" :)

I really like what you said here. :up:

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
Very well said,

I know that I am a Christian and that I love the Lord with all of my heart, I know that he died for my sins on the cross and rise again. That is not in question, the question is what are we celbrating when we celbrate Easter. Do we really know exactly when he died and rise. No we do not. Also the world did not change a Christian holiday, Christianlty (sp) took a pagan holiday and may it into an Christian hoilday.

My husband who is a Reverand and truly reads and studies the word of God, asked me one question one day that made me think, the question was " How could Jesus die on a Friday and rise on a Sunday and it be 3 days. It's not possible. Sometimes we need to stop following tradition and truly think about things and I'm not singling any one out because I will atest that before I married my husband I was just celbrating and following tradition just because everyone else was and now I can look at things and say " hmmmm that doesn't make sense.

Now your all know me, I don't write long post so this is truly something close to my heart.

God Bless

msportugal said:

Cinnabuns

Blossssom said:

Hello Blosssom. :wave: I don't celebrate Easter because of the Pagan activity that it comes with, Easter Eggs, Bunnies, etc. I believe that myself as Chrisitian should celebrate the Lord's rising (and birth) everyday not just ONE day that is either in March, April or December. IMHO :)

Last edited:

Cinnabuns

sugaplum said:
My question to parents is "Why is it that we tell our children 'Don't except candy from strangers' but on Halloween the kids are going door-to-door asking for candy from strangers?? :confused:

Good point sugaplum! :)

Poohbear

Cinnabuns said:
Hello Blosssom. :wave: I don't celebrate Easter because of the Pagan activity that it comes with, Easter Eggs, Bunnies, etc. I believe that myself as Chrisitian should celebrate the Lord's rising (and birth) everyday not just ONE day that is either in March, April or December. IMHO :)
I AGREE!!! :YEP:

sugaplum

Star Shooter
Cinnabuns said:

ITA Cinna. It's "Man" that has made a specific date (for Christmas and Easter). There is no where in the Bible where there is an actual day!!

firecracker

I celebrate Christmas, Easter, Juneteenth, Cinco De Mayo and New Years. I usually don't attend church on Easter Sunday due to the crowd. After reading Star's comment about Christmas and Easter being the Christian Holidays I will attend because what she said was so real. Thanks so much. I just had a conversation 15 minutes ago with a Pastor trying to convince me to change my mind. I try to make sure I am at church prior to bringing in the New Year.

Last edited:
S

Stylepink

The only thing that I observe is the Lords Evening Meal. It was last night and it was a beautiful service. :)

Poohbear

Stylepink said:
The only thing that I observe is the Lords Evening Meal. It was last night and it was a beautiful service. :)
Is that the same as the Lord's Supper???

InsertCleverNameHere

msportugal said:

I sooooooo agree. I'm not going to say that I don't participate in any holidays because I do, but I do it with the full knowledge that it was started as pagan. I feel like just be educated about it. I hate to see people thinking its this big Christian holiday when it really has pagan origins and dates from old pagan holidays. I mean, take for instance, I love Christmas, but I only love it for the gift giving and not becasue I think it was Jesus's birthday or that I should make a celebration of his birth on that day. I feel like if I did that, I would be lying to myself. I just try to do all things (even if they are not supported by the bible like these holidays and any other thing I do thats not biblical like sinning, etc.) with full knowledge of what I'm doing. I'm not trying to debate but to me, taking a pagan holiday and turning it around into "Christian" is like taking a sin and trying to say its cool, God don't mind, lol...both to me are not biblically sound.

Me I wouldn't even go to the point of discouraging Christians not to celebrate holidays, I just think you should know what you are doing is nowhere in the bible.

MeccaMedinah

LadyR said:
My husband who is a Reverand and truly reads and studies the word of God, asked me one question one day that made me think, the question was " How could Jesus die on a Friday and rise on a Sunday and it be 3 days. It's not possible. Sometimes we need to stop following tradition and truly think about things and I'm not singling any one out because I will atest that before I married my husband I was just celbrating and following tradition just because everyone else was and now I can look at things and say " hmmmm that doesn't make sense.

God Bless

That's my question. This is my first "Day of Resurrection" being saved. SO I am happy. But I can do simple math and that just doesn't add up. I am celebrating the fact that he was risen from the dead.
Also, my children are young enough that as I re-evaluate the holidays and the traditions that are followed on these days, I can observe correctly and teach my children the real reason for us to celebrate 'Easter' & 'Christmas' and the other holidays.

JenJen2721

I don't have a problem celebrating Christmas as a Christian. I acknowledge that we don't know the exact date that Jesus was born and the bible suggests that it was perhaps in April IIRC. However, I think it's a beautiful think for Christians all over the world to take a day 12/25 to give special attention to the birth of our Lord and Savior and teach our children about the true meaning of Christmas. Being on one accord is a beautiful thing, no matter which day we're celebrating it. I think God has a smile on our face when Christians are on one accord celebrating the birth of Jesus and showing love to our friends and family.

My favorite holiday happens to be Thanksgiving...it's a wonderful feeling for me to spend time with my family and everyone expresses their gratitude for all the blessings that God has given us. Each Thanksgiving I get to spend with my family (cousins, aunts, uncles, friends) is a blessing from God and I know in my heart that God is pleased with that. God's all about family.

Also, in the bible Jesus and his disciples celebrated Passover, which is a holiday.

I see nothing wrong with celebrating certain holidays...others don't set well with me (like Halloween) so I don't celebrate it.

lonesomedove

Blossssom said:
Another excellent post. I listen to a bible minister on the radio and he said when he and his wife were raising their children, they MADE gifts to give to others. They just bought the supplies. They also gave fruits and nuts.

I love this idea, and will be doing this next year with my daughter :yep: