What Ingredients Do You Avoid?

AwesomelyNappy

When buying or using a product on your hair, what ingredients make you put the product down and say "NO WAY JOSE"? I've read somewhere, i dont know if it was this hair site or not, that ingredients like mineral oil, panthenol, Petroleumor lanolin oil were bad for the hair and scalp. I dont remeber why these are bad, but i avoid it anyway.

My husband often tells me jokenly that if i paid attention to my diet, and counted calories and fat like i pay attntion to the vits i take, and the ingredients of my hair products, i'd be a size zero by now!!! :grin: The sad thing is, i think he's telling the truth!

So ladies, what do you avoid, and why?

Cheleigh

I tend to avoid:
-silicones
-mineral oil
-petroleum
-proplyene glychol (if it's high on the ingredient list)
-placenta
-beeswax (high on the list)
-lanolin (high on the list)

stargazer613

Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulfates (makes my scalp really itchy)
Isopropyl Alcohol (too drying)
SD Alcohol (too drying)
petroleum
beeswax
some cones, but they're often hard to avoid....

Last edited:

Cichelle

I try to stay away from most cones and parabens, though I bend the rule for one limited/occasional use product because I absolutely cannot find a replacement.

CAPlush

I stay away from drying alcohols, but that's pretty much it. I also don't use anything that comes in an aerosol can.

HoneyDew

My hair does not seem to like products that list Glycerin as one of the main ingredients.

I don't avoid mineral oil and petroleum, but I don't like them in my base moisturizing products. Basically, my moisture has to be on point if I decide to use a product with those ingredients.

Isis

I avoid products with extra proteins, drying alcohol and silicones (with the exception of Aveda serum). Most of my products lean towards the natural ingredients.

LocksOfLuV

Drying alcohols -Such as Sd40, :nono: I wouldn't touch that with Hitler's hair.
Ammonia.
Peroxide.
Cones as a second ingredient.

JustKiya

I won't purchase anything with any form of petroluem (if I wanted to put Vaseline in my hair, I'd buy it from the DollarStore), or cones. OCCASSIONALLY I'll break the rule with cones - if it isn't in the top five ingredients, and I know that I'll be using it VERY infrequently - and it's gotta be an amazing product!

I've noticed that avoiding those two products limits my hair product options SO much, that if I avoided anything else, there would be nothing for me to buy. Unless it was from online, of course.

No Sulfates.
No Peroxides.
I try to stay away from heavy fragrances - I'm the weird girl in the BSS opening the bottles and smelling things.

la flaca

HoneyDew said:
nelli!! :love:

OT but I love that style in your siggie. Is that a braid out?

(sorry for the Hijack)

petroleum
mineral oil - this is a hard one to avoid for me but I do try
lanolin
alcohol

Nelli, I love the siggie too.:love: :love: :love:
I am so jealous girl, I've always wanna do the braid out thing but it always a big mess:mad: . I think that's why I wanna be natural, I love curls:perplexed :(

Last edited:

remnant

cones(except flat ironing periods), paraben, mineral oil (except my staple le kair cholesterol), petroleum, alcohol denat., hair grease(except sulfur 8....rarely used)!

Last edited:

rosalindb

I firstly started off avoiding products such as:

Mineral Oil
Propylene Glycol
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
Parabens

But I now only use 100% natural products for my hair and skincare.

ToyToy

I stay away from alcohol denat and waxes (if they are high up in the list).
Other than that, I pretty much use anything that works for my hair.

Ms Lala

HoneyDew said:
My hair does not seem to like products that list Glycerin as one of the main ingredients.

I don't avoid mineral oil and petroleum, but I don't like them in my base moisturizing products. Basically, my moisture has to be on point if I decide to use a product with those ingredients.

My hair responds horrible to products w/glycerin high on the list too. Do you know why this is? I thought glycerin was supposed to be great moisturizer but if it's in the top 4 or 5 my hair hates it. My hair doesn't mind mineral oil but I stay away from petroleum because it bothers my scalp and leaves my hair feeling heavy. If petro. is near the bottom of the ingredient list I'll use the product.

Jas123

The Star of a Story
awesomely_nappy said:
When buying or using a product on your hair, what ingredients make you put the product down and say "NO WAY JOSE"? I've read somewhere, i dont know if it was this hair site or not, that ingredients like mineral oil, panthenol, Petroleumor lanolin oil were bad for the hair and scalp. I dont remeber why these are bad, but i avoid it anyway.

My husband often tells me jokenly that if i paid attention to my diet, and counted calories and fat like i pay attntion to the vits i take, and the ingredients of my hair products, i'd be a size zero by now!!! :grin: The sad thing is, i think he's telling the truth!

So ladies, what do you avoid, and why?
Good thread...and oooh so true to the bolded for me as well
I try to use all natural products with no paraben & fragrance..I try to use natural oils and limit my relaxers to 4-6 times a year

LovelyLionessa

HoneyDew said:

Same here, I can't deal with too much glycerin either. If a conditioner has too much in it, like the 2nd ingriedient right after water, it leaves me with gooky, coated, overconditioned, mushy hair. :down:

The big ingriedient that I avoid like the plaque is alcohol denat.