What is better for texlax - Lye or No-Lye?

Jazzy413

Or does it really depend on how long you leave it on? Right now I am contemplating texlaxing with Elasta QP, ORS Lye or No Lye. Any feedback, suggestions would be appreciated!!!

Treasure2k6

I was using NO LYE ORS but it made my hair really brittle after like week 2. I swtiched to LYE ORS and have used it durig my last few Texlaxes and its sooo much better for me! My hair feels like it rettains moisture better and I can actually do things with it and not feel like my stands are going to break off from being so dry.

Jazzy413

Thanks for the reply. I have been debating over Mizani Butter Blend, Phyto, Elasta QP, and now ORS. But I needed to make a decision this week on one or the other so I could place the order for one of the first two. Since ORS is found in most BSS and is cheaper to boot, I will go with them and see how I like.

Any other opinions????

jade998

I used ORS No Lye first and I couldn't retain moisture to save my life. I then did a coreective with ORS Lye, but that burnt the hell out of my head, so it lasted less than 5 minutes before I had to wash it out. I could never tolerate Lye relaxers and then decided on another corrective 2 months later and I used Silk Elements Mild Lye and I have now found my relaxer for life. No burning, I felt like I was putting conditioner on my head. And because I am texlaxed, I am not looking for very straight hair at all.

HTH

Another tip, to moisturise on a daily basis, I have found my own mix that works, it is shea butter, avocado butter, IC Fantasia gel and castor oil, whipped up togher. I didn't really measure, just added till I got a whipped consistancy.

Last edited:

BeautifulFlower

Alot of girls, including myself, have had major problems with no-lye relaxers. I was using them exclusively for years and my hair was damaged and thinning , and I have really thick hair. I began goin to the salon for two years and transition from no-lye to Nairobi lye relaxer. My hair is much healthier and I have gotten my thickness back. And since LHCF, its even thicker. I am transitioning from bone strait to texlax and sticking to lye relaxers.

Babydall818

My no likey - no lye . I tried it once and won't be doing that again. only good thing was less harsh on my scalp, than lye. It was very limp and brittle; after the first 2 days which was a total tease.:ohwell:

4chelle

Alot of girls, including myself, have had major problems with no-lye relaxers. I was using them exclusively for years and my hair was damaged and thinning , and I have really thick hair. I began goin to the salon for two years and transition from no-lye to Nairobi lye relaxer. My hair is much healthier and I have gotten my thickness back. And since LHCF, its even thicker. I am transitioning from bone strait to texlax and sticking to lye relaxers.

How do u do this. I am thinking about texlaxing soon, but all I have ever used is a no lye relaxer. I am currently about 2 1/2 months post relaxer and have about 1 inch of new growth. I am afraid to try to texlax with lye if I previously used no lye.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
I am transitioning from bone strait to texlax and sticking to lye relaxers.[/quote]

I think will also refrain from relaxing bone straight because my hair is so fine I want to retain what little thickness I have. So for the next relaxer I will start texlaxing.

ETA: for ladies who are experiencing burning with Lye relaxers, add a little EVOO or Almond Oil to the relaxer. That works a bunch. I prefer Lye because it is better on the hair and less drying. I can definitely tell the difference in my hair! :yep:

Neala21

Thanks for the reply. I have been debating over Mizani Butter Blend, Phyto, Elasta QP, and now ORS. But I needed to make a decision this week on one or the other so I could place the order for one of the first two. Since ORS is found in most BSS and is cheaper to boot, I will go with them and see how I like.

Any other opinions????

Mizani BB is great. I loved it. Still got my lovely curlies as well. Hair is so moisturized compared to when i used ORS No-lye which left me dry with breakage and split ends.

ryanshope

I think lye is better. The key is to "relax" or "soften" your hair's curl pattern, not to go bone straight. I used Vitale Mo Body Relaxer and I LOVE IT!! This is the first lye relaxer I have ever used that didn't leave me burnt and underprocessed. With texlaxed hair, damp or wet hair should have a "wavy" texture but straightens easily with rollersets, blowouts or a flat iron. It is a delicate balance between texlax and underprocessed--I use protein fillers and oils to slow down the processing of my relaxers.

sareca

I always end up overprocessed and burned with lye relaxers. They're just too harsh for me. :nono:

Amarech

Lye. Hands down. I used to texlax with no lye and my hair was dry as the desert. The condition of my hair wasn't all that great either. My hair retains moisture soo much better since I've switched to lye. It's shinier too.

Apparently if you add oil to your relaxer you'll be able to texlax because it lowers the pH somewhat. I'll be trying that on my next touch up, whenever that will be......

Aggie

Lye. Hands down. I used to texlax with no lye and my hair was dry as the desert. The condition of my hair wasn't all that great either. My hair retains moisture soo much better since I've switched to lye. It's shinier too.

Apparently if you add oil to your relaxer you'll be able to texlax because it lowers the pH somewhat. I'll be trying that on my next touch up, whenever that will be......

Co-signing with you Amarech, I can't imagine what took me so long to switch to lye relaxers. No lye left my hair thin, lifeless, dull, brittle and dry. Since I switched to lye, my hair does have a lot more shine, retains a lot more moisture and has a lot more life to it.

I also texlax because my hair strands are fine but I noticed that they are seemingly thicker - but that might be due to the biotin and msm I'm taking.

lana

I use Mizani for Sensitive scalp and I believe that's No-Lye...correct me if I'm wrong...anyways I've found that my 4a/b hair (when natural) is dry...so I don't think it would matter either way for me. I just focus on moisturizing daily and that makes a huge difference. I texlax for 5 minutes with conditioner mixed in there. I always deep condition after a chemical process.

QUESTION for those ladies who switched from lye to no-lye back to lye while texlaxing. ANY BREAKAGE?? I am thinking you wouldn't since relaxer is not left on long.

Luscious Locks

I'm not texlaxed. I will be texlaxing my next relaxer next week, but I've switched back and forth between no lye and lye with no problem at all. Any problem I had was with overlapping which weakened my strands and not moisturizing daily, but not specifically from just applying the relaxer.

And when I say overlap, i really mean inches of overlapping. My mother got overzealous.