What is hair serum?

Ladylynn

Excuse my ignorance ladies, but what is serum, and what is it used for? I'm looking for something to aide and seal in moisture, but daily use of my oils is weighing my hair down? Does serums moisturize? Are they similar to hair oils? Could anyone recommend a good one? I wear my hair down daily. I have fine 4b relaxed hair. Thanks

Ashee

Ladylynn said:
Excuse my ignorance ladies, but what is serum, and what is it used for? I'm looking for something to aide and seal in moisture, but daily use of my oils is weighing my hair down? Does serums moisturize? Are they similar to hair oils? Could anyone recommend a good one? I wear my hair down daily. I have fine 4b relaxed hair. Thanks

I'm not too sure of what it can do, but a lot of ladies rave about Neutrogena Triple Moisture (NTM) Serum. I believe this one seals the hair & adds shine; not too sure on the moisture part.
I looked at it in the store today & put it back... I'm interested in knowing exactly what it's supposed to do.

amy1234

the serum that i use helps to smooth the hair and reduce drying time , and also contains thermal protectants .
paul mitchell super skinny serum , its recommended that you use it on damp/wet hair because it's very concetrated.

Ashee

*Dee* said:
the serum that i use helps to smooth the hair and reduce drying time , and also contains thermal protectants .
paul mitchell super skinny serum , its recommended that you use it on damp/wet hair because it's very concetrated.

I love the sound of ANYTHING that will cut down drying time!! :grin:

CLASSYEBONYGIRL

A serum is an ultra-light product that helps detangle wet hair by providing a slippery surface for your comb to slide through. It also makes your hair shiny once it dries. It can be used on wet and dry hair and it will not leave your hair greasy looking and it will also lock in moisture.

Skydancer

CLASSYEBONYGIRL said:
A serum is an ultra-light product that helps detangle wet hair by providing a slippery surface for your comb to slide through. It also makes your hair shiny once it dries. It can be used on wet and dry hair and it will not leave your hair greasy looking and it will also lock in moisture.

Not greasy looking? Hmm... sounds good. But is it greasy feeling once in the hair?

CLASSYEBONYGIRL

Skydancer said:
Not greasy looking? Hmm... sounds good. But is it greasy feeling once in the hair?

No. It does not have a greasy feeling once it is in your hair because the serum is very light and it contains no heavy oils such as mineral oil, petroleum that tends to weigh your hair down. It contains light carrier oils instead such as olive oil, meadowfoam oil and sweet almond which is absorbed quickly by your hair.

Champagne_Wishes

A broke graduate
Serums vary on what they do because some cut down on the frizz and others imparts shine to the hair. Others also protect the hair from heat appliances.