What is henna? Is it bad for colored hair?

loverofnaps71

Hi Beautiful Ladies!

I have a head full of beautiful natural naps! I also have a permanent color added to my hair that I have not touched up in over 3 months.

Can someone explain to me what Henna is? I'd like to use henna as a coloring agent rather than continue to use the harsh chemicals in dyes.

Is is unhealthy to use henna over permanently-colored hair, even if it's been a while since it's been colored?

Any help that you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

LON71

DelightfulFlame

You may want to do a search for previous threads for more info...but here's what I know about it.

Henna should not be used over permanent hair dyes or with relaxers (basically, you should not use henna if you have any chemicals on your hair period.) The reason is b/c you may get some wild, unexpected color (like green).

However, you can use Hennalucent. This is a semi-permanent hair color that contains henna. It lasts for a while, and is safe to use with chemical treated hair. However, it can be especially drying to African-american hair, so what I do is mix some type of oil with it (like olive oil, etc.) You can buy Hennalucent at Sally's beauty supply stores for around $4.

Hope this helps!

blkvetteblack

Check out this website www.hennapage.com Also, you should visit this other long hair care site www.longhaircommunity.com Henna is discussed quite a bit on this website. I was thinking of using henna on my hair. I'm interested in the blue/black color. The color you see in indian and asian women. It is such a beautiful shiny black. You can purchase henna from any health food store, online, or any east indian/ethnic grocer.