What is Herbal Tame?

AFashionSlave

What is Herbal Tame? Is it a conditioner? Has anyone ever tried it?

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
I've never tried it. This is what Gold medal says:

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Herbal Tame Natural Hair Relaxer is 100% chemical free. Applied before you shampoo, your hair fills with the shine, life and natural texture of healthy hair as it is intended to be. Herbal Tame helps your hair to slowly release tight kink, but retain shine and texture. Should you choose to grow out chemically permed hair, you will be able to wear it naturally, pressed or curled for several different styling options.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may want to check out this thread, too. Some enterprising ladies came up with their own herbal tame recipe!

Herbal Tame/Henna

hada

Herbal Tame is Henna based. Go to the Hennaphilic Thread and you will see the benefits!!!!!!!

Hada

fudge6

AFashionSlave,

I used Herbal Tame several years ago and to be quite honest, it didn't do a thing for my hair. It's a packet of herbs that's suppose to naturally "relax" your hair. If that's the result you want then I would suggest you save your money and use a regular relaxer for that. I had bought a six-pack of this stuff, and my hair wasn't any more "tamer" than before
. And on top of that, it had a weird odor (a bit like grass and perfume), a weird color (it looked like "Swamp Thing", no lie
) and the application is sloppy. VERY sloppy. And mixing it with conditioner (which is what the manufacturer recommended) didn't help either

I guess in hindsight the product itself (despite my horrible experience with it) isn't that bad. It is truely an all natural product. And since all it is is powdered herbs, it would probably make a great hair rinse (or maybe even a nice addition to a shampoo). But then again it would probably be much cheaper to purchase your own powdered herbs online and make something up yourself

In conclusion, Herbal Tame doesn't jack up your hair, but it may not help it much either

fudge6

I just finished reading the thread that SassyGirl has posted above....looks interesting. Maybe I will give henna and the powdered herbs another shot. I don't really care to have looser curls, but to have stronger hair is always nice
. I'll probably try to make my own henna/herbal stuff in the near future.

OnlyErin

Way back in the day, I, too, used Herbal Tame. Gold Medal products worked great for me, but I'd probably be going
to see the ingredients in some of those items.

Fudge6 is correct - the mixture is very goopy and if you do NOT wash it out completely after you use, you will lose some hair. I speak from experience.

Amazon.com has a link to the Gold Medal site, and I noticed the Herbal Tame now comes in a cream formula already mixed. I wonder, too, if the formulation has improved. Now that I know a lot more about my hair than I did then, I wouldn't mind trying it again . . . maybe.

HTH,
OE