What is scab hair?

Stiletto_Diva

So I've been transitioning for a little over 6 months and my texture is starting to change. At first I just had poofy kinky newgrowth with no curl definition. Now I'm starting to see that more and more of my hair is turning into coils and ringlets. Someone told me that the earlier newgrowth was scab hair and that my true texture was just now starting to show.
My question is: What is scab hair and how long does it take for the true texture of hair to show?

Rapunzel*

ive heard that scab hair is when some parts of your hair is still straight from the relaxer
but again these are not my words:nono:

and some say theres no such thing as scab hair:yep:

morehairplease

ive heard that scab hair is when some parts of your hair is still straight from the relaxer
but again these are not my words:nono:

and some say theres no such thing as scab hair:yep:

I have heard both of these two. I, myself, believe in scab hair. I have bc three times so far and each time have had to deal with scab hair(with each time resulting in me relaxing again if that says anything :wallbash::rolleyes::perplexed).

discodumpling

After I BC'd I had scab hair. I intended to trim agressivelly for the 1st 6 months to be done with it. But DC’ing often did the trick and after trimming monthly for the 1st 3 months of my journey I decided to trim as needed…and with proper care that’s not often at all.
My scab hair was wiry and a totally different texture than the rest of my napps. I might have trimmed unnecessarily to begin with because 1 yr later my hair is still wiry in some places. I just baby my hair and keep it moving.

BrooklynSouth

Scab hair is something I learned from GOING NATURAL by Mireille Liong-A-Kong{she is from Suriname, lives in the Netherlands}. Scab hair is your new growth which has to be healed as it has been wounded the same way as your length through repeated relaxers or chemical treatment; scabbing the same as a relaxer burn. The hair feels "unnaturally hard and crunchy." A-Kong claims it will improve after the 3rd. month of going natural; all naturals do not experience scab hair.

Last edited:

BrooklynSouth

I have heard both of these two. I, myself, believe in scab hair. I have bc three times so far and each time have had to deal with scab hair(with each time resulting in me relaxing again if that says anything :wallbash::rolleyes::perplexed).

A-Kong does say this is one of the reasons women go back to relaxers...a common cause.

Hairsofab

Hmm I've been transitioning for about 14 months. I don't think I've noticed a change in textures. My hair grows in dense, wiry, and kinky still.

MonPetite

My hair grew in curly, soft, and thick from the start. As it gets longer my coils get fatter and more pronounced and catch the light making it shinier.

I wonder what the contributing factor is?

I texlaxed -wore wash n' gos, for years. So I never made my hair bone straight. Maybe that's why I had no scab hair? :perplexed

I just wanted wavy/curly hair...not straight hair. Any formerly bone straight ladies that have gone natural care to weigh in?

morehairplease

Scab hair is something I learned from GOING NATURAL by Mireille Liong-A-Kong{she is from Suriname, lives in the Netherlands}. Scab hair is your new growth which has to be healed as it has been wounded the same way as your length through repeated relaxers or chemical treatment; scabbing the same as a relaxer burn. The hair feels "unnaturally hard and crunchy." A-Kong claims it will improve after the 3rd. month of going natural; all naturals do not experience scab hair.

I am coming up on my 4 month since big chopping this go around and my hair is still unnaturally hard and crunchy. I am seriously considering get a bald fade again next week and seeing if that makes a difference in my growth. Despite all my deep conditioning, conditiong washing, pre-pooing, etc.... my hair is still 'fighting' with me it seems.

LiberianGirl

My hair grew in curly, soft, and thick from the start. As it gets longer my coils get fatter and more pronounced and catch the light making it shinier.

I wonder what the contributing factor is?

I texlaxed -wore wash n' gos, for years. So I never made my hair bone straight. Maybe that's why I had no scab hair? :perplexed

I just wanted wavy/curly hair...not straight hair. Any formerly bone straight ladies that have gone natural care to weigh in?

I have very fine hair and relaxed bone straight every 6-8 weeks for nearly 15 plus years. When I began to transition, my new growth had no curl pattern at all and was extremely dry. I noticed a change in the curl pattern around 6 months. I think one's relaxing habits contribute to scab hair.