WHAT IS THE BEST FLAT IRON FOR NATURAL 4B HAIR..

Best flat Iron for natural 4b hair?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

Hi there,

Which rusk iron does she use?

tia,
tishee
It's the rusk str8 ceramic flat iron...silver with black coating around it...it's kinda hard to find, too, it seems to be marketed to professionals only, not the general public...i was gonna get it but its kinda pricey, so i may go with fhi, does fhi have curved plates for curling, flipping, etc...because it looks like the sedu doesn't.

morehairplease

It's the rusk str8 ceramic flat iron...silver with black coating around it...it's kinda hard to find, too, it seems to be marketed to professionals only, not the general public...i was gonna get it but its kinda pricey, so i may go with fhi, does fhi have curved plates for curling, flipping, etc...because it looks like the sedu doesn't.

Hey there,

I don't know if the FHI has curved plates or not. I am going to purchase the GVP ceramic iron from Sally's that many have raved about. In the flyer that I have, it's on sale for $59.99(at the bottom it states compare to the CHI).

healthytext

Yes, FHI irons can be used to curl. I also have a 1.5" Sedu and the plates are squared off so it was difficult for me to do anything besides straightening. Maybe the 1" Sedu or someone with better technique could get the job done though.

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

Hey there,

I don't know if the FHI has curved plates or not. I am going to purchase the GVP ceramic iron from Sally's that many have raved about. In the flyer that I have, it's on sale for $59.99(at the bottom it states compare to the CHI).

Yes, FHI irons can be used to curl. I also have a 1.5" Sedu and the plates are squared off so it was difficult for me to do anything besides straightening. Maybe the 1" Sedu or someone with better technique could get the job done though.
Thanks ladies, i've heard great things about the chi, i'll give it a try before i drop endz on a fhi....and my technique is not all that, so i need to get something that is amateur-friendly..

Thanks to you both for responding...i hope i like that gvp....i really wanna keep that extra, what ? $70 bucks....that could go toward my professional dryer on casters...:yep:

Last edited:

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

i purchased a RUSK...but haven't used it yet.

edited to add, I <3 my RUSK!! It is the bomb, and I didn't shell out hundreds of $$, either.

Last edited:

donewit-it

Thanks ladies, i've heard great things about the chi, i'll give it a try before i drop endz on a fhi....and my technique is not all that, so i need to get something that is amateur-friendly..

Thanks to you both for responding...i hope i like that gvp....i really wanna keep that extra, what ? $70 bucks....that could go toward my professional dryer on casters...:yep:

You will love the GVP:yep:

ETA: I didn't see that you already bought the Rusk. Enjoy

goldenchica

I thought I was gonna have to buy an expensive flat iron to get my hair straight and beautiful with movement, but I used my conair on my four inches of 4-something hair, and it worked wonderfully! So, I think it's all about the condition of the hair, the products you use, and the technique you use to straighten....cause i was natural for 17 years before this last bc and i never had these kind of beautiful results....i never knew my hair could get that straight and beautiful, everyone agreed that my straightened natural hair looked way better than my permed hair ever looked----and I just used a 13 dollar conair ceramic iron from walmart!

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
A maxiglide can work on short hair. Just use the flat iron part. You have to be very patient with it though.:ohwell:

mstar

Luxury bacon
I just ordered a Karmin Titanium iron, after reading Mystic's rave review thread. I hope it's good.

What temperature setting to you guys use to flat iron?

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
I am getting a runway for my Christmas gift to myself.. or I might wait till my 1yr mark (June 10'.. Either way, I am getting myself one!!

shae101s

I'm natural..and love the maxiglide..have had great results..see my fotki..but I also think that besides the maxiglide a FHI/CHI would be another great alternative..To me us 4bs can get great results with any flat iron, it's all in the technique:
deep condition, heat protect, air dry 50%, blow dry the other 50% on a lower setting, flat iron in tiny 1' sections.

I found the maxiglide gives me smooth results usually only after I wrap the hair afterwards..so I am thinking i may need to try that FHI to get a silky result right after flat ironing.

baddison

natural for good
I have a FHI Platform....couldn't swing the Runway. But its still the best investment I ever made. I love my Platform :heart2:.....even though I only use it 4 times a year...LOL!

hothair

I voted FHI but I'd say its more to do with your technique, I'm on a modified Ateyaaa regimen(check youtube) but tweak a bit (for example I airdry in two ponies rather than sit under the dryer).

I also switch up products depending on what my hair needs but generally the protein based treatment/DC before flatironing helps. Comb and chase method helps a lot too...

akgirl

I love the original GHD. I'm 4b I have owned the $350 FHI Platform special edition from last year, the sedu from this year and GHD wins. My hair never feels crispy like it did with the FHI and the sedu just didn't seem to do the job either. But that's just me

LongHairNWaiting

Well Ladies, I went with a "cheapie". I bought a Remington - Avocado Shine flat iron. I had been using it for 1.5 year now. I was permed and now I am natural and I must say, I LOVE MY FLAT IRON!!! It gives GREAT heat and curl.

I believe in a press\curl flat iron (as in the old days when they use to press\curl with a pressing comb).

I just purchased a Helen of Troy flat iron that gets up to 450 degrees. I bought when I was traveling back home to Cali. I haven't tried that yet b/c I am currently wearing braids, but by next summer I will take my hair down, have it cut and flat iron with it to see how it works.

My moto -- just because it cost less, doesn't mean that you wont get great results!

HTH...

P.S. I paid $25.00 for both flat irons. When you get things out of Marshalls and Ross, you can still buy name brands for less. These ARE great flat irons.

Newtogrow

I had ordered the Sedu before and had to send it back. I then bought The Chi from JC Penney and I enjoy the results.

Bun Mistress

First I want to say I'm horrid at flat ironing. My first iron was a Maxiglide. My hair was not straight and the teeth that were suposed to help with straigthing.... Big no no. Pluss I don't know if steam would be a good idea now that I have 5 inches of natural hair. (transitioning). The iron I have now is a GHD. Very expensive. BUT I can actually straightne my hair and curl it in about 2 passes. one if I just don't care and want it straight enough. I got it on sale and a life time warrenty which was great!

kweenameena

I am probably the oddball out of the group....LOL I use a regular Kizure flat iron (the one that goes in the stove) I have tried the CHI and other's and my hair started to thin out pretty badly, and it did a number on my ends. I tried lowering the heat, but my hair didn't get as straight as I liked (I like bone straight flat).....Soooo I made the switch back to my old trusty iron (although I am NOT using heat in 09).
I agree. If I knew how to use a marcel iron I'd flat iron it myself with one instead of the ceramic irons. My wraps with the marcel last much longer than my wraps with the ceramic irons. And my hair always reverts back.

Sunshine_One

I had the same problem with my maxiglide. I don't even use it. :perplexed

ITA about the Maxiglide. It did not work for me either. The steam burst reverted my hair. It would look nice and sleek at first but then it would poof up. Highly frustrating. I took it back to Bed Bath and Beyond and exchanged it for a T3 Narrow 1 inch Duality. The T3 works much better for me.

OP, I'm not 4b but If I were you I would get a FHI or Chi. I'm thinking about getting one of the two myself.

HTH

Ediese

Thanks for bumping this thread. I was about the purchase the Maxiglide from HSN.

Anyone else purchase a RUSK? Where can I get a good deal? I have a CHI with no temp control, and I'd prefer something else.