What is the best methods to retain length on natural hair

What is the the best method to retain length for natural hair.

• Protective styles with extensions

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Wash and gos

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Low manipulation - braids outs or twists

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Wigs

• Buns

• High puffs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protective style real hair only

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

spacetygrss

Keeping it moisturized, detangled, free of split ends/knots and keeping it stretched is the most important thing, IMO. How you do that is really dependent on what works for you. For me, weekly washes, followed by deep conditioning (alternating between moisture and protein) and keeping my hair in twists does the trick.

KenyafromCT

Keeping it moisturized, detangled, free of split ends/knots and keeping it stretched is the most important thing, IMO. How you do that is really dependent on what works for you. For me, weekly washes, followed by deep conditioning (alternating between moisture and protein) and keeping my hair in twists does the trick.
Good morning. What do you use for protein?

spacetygrss

Good morning. What do you use for protein?
That has varied over the years (mostly due to availability and product junky-ism). I've used Dudley's DDRC 28 hair treatment, Aphogee (both the 2 minute product and the 2-step), several products from the natural brands that you can buy from ETSY, TGIN Miracle RpairRx Curl Protein Recontructor, etc. All of them work well for me as long as I follow with moisture because my hair LOVES protein.

KenyafromCT

That has varied over the years (mostly due to availability and product junky-ism). I've used Dudley's DDRC 28 hair treatment, Aphogee (both the 2 minute product and the 2-step), several products from the natural brands that you can buy from ETSY, TGIN Miracle RpairRx Curl Protein Recontructor, etc. All of them work well for me as long as I follow with moisture because my hair LOVES protein.
Ok. I was curious. My hair tends to hate protein. Henna ruined it years back. I don’t think my natural hair needs much of it. It will become so dry and brittle.

spacetygrss

Ok. I was curious. My hair tends to hate protein. Henna ruined it years back. I don’t think my natural hair needs much of it. It will become so dry and brittle.
Yeah. It’s important to you know your hair’s specific needs. For instance, my hair is high porosity and thrives off of protein. Yours may be the opposite.
That’s why my first post in this thread is written the way that is it (certain words are bolded).

Happy Hair Growing.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I wig, bun, celie and occasionally blowout my natural hair. Retention is best when my hair remains stretched. I’m 4b/c super fine strands. I also notice that I retain much better with regular (professional) trims.

caribeandiva

Human being
The best method hands down that has worked for me is to keep my hair moisturized and sealed using the LCO method and sealing with Shea butter. I do my best to moisturize every other day to keep dryness at bay. Also keeping my hair stretched at all times works for me. Constant Wash and gos give me tangles so I quit doing them.