What is the definition of low manipulation?

Miss AJ

I know we've all heard and used this term before but I've never seen anyone say what is considered low or high manipulation. In my mind, high manipulation would be combing/brushing your hair 5 or so times a day but I'm sure there might be someone out there who thinks me taking my bun down to detangle/moisturize every night and then re-bunning every morning is high manipulation, but in reality, I'm only fooling with my hair twice a day. Is this more of an individual thing or has LHCF come to a general consensus (sp?) on this topic already?

remnant

Hi, I don't know if there is a general consensus of LM on LHCF but to me it will mean not touching my hair for days only to moisturise it and doing DC and cowash.
For example when I'm wigging it :
  • Cornrows for 4/6 weeks
  • DC and Co-wash once a week
  • Moisturise/seal 2/3 a week

Daeuiel

Cosplay Champ
I agree with remnant, low manipulation is not touching your hair for an extended amount of time. If you're detangling and styling your hair every day, that's not low manipulation, that's normal. I think it's safe to say my current reggie is low manipulation. I put in loc extensions over a month ago and all I do is wash & condition 1x a week, and moisturize when necessary.

TootiePie

I consider my routine to be low manipulation. I have hair day on Saturday. I DC and style for the week and I try not to touch it again until Friday night. I think this is why I have retained my length

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
I would say

LOW manipulation could be considered the above posted example - Bun. Moisturize. Re bun. Nothing that requires excessive daily styling. It would also include - No daily brushing or combing, no daily twisting and retwisting. No daily braiding and rebraiding. Finger comb only.

NO manipulation would be braids, weaves, wigs etc. Where the hair is put away and doesn't require ANY manipulation at all for daily styling.

When I'm weaved up that's no manipulation. I braid and don't touch my hair for 8 weeks at a time. I do that 6 months out of the year. I able able to complete regular Washing and conditioning while the braids remain intact.

When I wear wigs I braid the hair but I take it down every week or two to detangle. Remove shed hair. And wash and condition. That's low manipulation.

Sent from my iPhone while out living my best life!

Bublin

Those of you in cornrows or braids without extensions.....are you washing AND conditioning whilst in the braids? ie not undoing your braids at all.

Daeuiel

Cosplay Champ
Those of you in cornrows or braids without extensions.....are you washing AND conditioning whilst in the braids? ie not undoing your braids at all.

Yep :yep: If I don't my locs will look all dusty, not to mention how dry my hair would be without being conditioned. If you think I'm going to take down the loc extensions every week to wash & condition my hair and then spend 8 hours putting them back in....! :look: :spinning:

Bublin

Yep :yep: If I don't my locs will look all dusty, not to mention how dry my hair would be without being conditioned. If you think I'm going to take down the loc extensions every week to wash & condition my hair and then spend 8 hours putting them back in....! :look: :spinning:

@Daeuiel I understand you wouldn't take out extensions....i was talking about braids without extensions as i personally don't wear them. I'm concerned about conditoner residue and shed hair build up in my fine/fragile hair.

Last edited:

Ronnieaj

Bublin, I wear twists more than braids, but I wash in them weekly. I wear them for 3 weeks before redoing. Conditioner residue isn't a problem for me, but I do get a lot of shedding. My hair is coarse, but my shed hair can begin wrapping around the twists by week 3. I detangle with avj and oil and let it sit overnight, then wash the next day. Some people simply can't go that long, but it takes too long to twist for me to do it every week :nono:. I keep the twists pinned up when they get to fuzzy for my taste.

Bublin

Ronnieaj thanks for that explanation. I've done twists but they don't las longer than a few days before the fuzz and shedding takes hold.

For the past 4 days i have had my hair in natural single braids and so far so good - much neater than twists. Usually i'd be itching to undo it all and wash but i'm determined to keep them in for as long as possible - 2 weeks if i can.

dancinstallion

Not combing/brushing your hair more than once a week or less often.
washing/cpwahing, styling once a week or less is considered low manipulation. cowashing twice a week in high manipulation to me.