What is the longest you've worn your bun?

What is the longest you've worn your bun?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stelladata

Hey LHCF ladies!,
It's 2am here and I can't sleep, so, I thought, what better way to pass the time than starting up a thread on the forum?
I am big on buns, If there is any protective style that has worked for me so far it would be buns. My go to hairstyle. I am not sure if there are any other bun fanatics on the forum but, I was interested in knowing how long you guys keep your buns in for? (or ponytails). Right now, I am pushing two and a half weeks. And that's without detangling. Of course I run my hair underwater every now and again before I "re-gel" with ecostyler... or I use my spray bottle (with a mixture of water and conditioner).

Let the voting begin!
Might even fall asleep before you guys start posting lmao.. sorry :/

LushLox

I couldn't wear any bun for longer than a day, I'm sure the low manipulation is fabulous but for me I think I would be doing more harm than good. It's just too much tension on my hair for very prolonged periods.

Lady_q_tee

A week ....I've actually got a video on how I do it .. Should be in my siggy. I make homemade phony ponies and don't touch the bun fir a week. Just spritz with water and add more gel .. And moisturise, seal and baggy my ends

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Long Hair Care Forum App

SND411

A True Soldier Never Dies
For maybe three days straight. But not for too long.

Sometimes I feel bunning can wreck havoc on your ends as well. Although it is not rubbing against your clothes, there is still friction when the ends rub against your own hair strands when put in a bun.

Jewell

I've worn a bun for about 2 wks, but I took it down every other day or so to re-moisturize the ends and make sure to let my hair hang for a few hrs. I only had it in a bun or single braid for that long b/c I was sick and in the hospital...so I daren't mess with washing my hair...heck I could barely muster enough energy to get out of bed at the time. These days I'd only wear one for about 3 days max...I'm always scared my edges will start to thin.

NikkiGirl

For me it's about a week, sometimes a week and a half. I have been lazy and I haven't noticed any damage. I do wet it in the shower, though.

AlliCat

Never longer than a day! my bun gets messy overnight so I usually have to take it down and re-do it in the morning...in fact I don't bun while i sleep cus (I'm a wild sleeper)

KurleeK5

i have been bunning on and off for almost 4 months. It really helps protect my ends especially in the winter. I do several buns in various positions (as to not pull on one spot). During the day I use a regular elastic. at night, I take down the bun and spritz hair with Scurl or giovanni leave in spray, then I put the put the ponytail in using a satin covered hair tie. Sometimes I baggy, sometimes I don't. on wash day If I bun, I load it with gel when wet so it will be slick and I won't have to reapply as much during the week. I'll braid the rest of the hair so it won't shrink, clear elastic the ends (wrapping 2 times) and tuck the ends under using Good Hair Days Magic Grip pin or wrap it around and cover with a satin hair tie.

all that being said, I LOVE BUNS!!!!!!!! :) they look sleek and sophisticated too ;)

Renee29

I've taken mine down at night in between re styling but I did keep the hair bunned for two weeks consecutively. After taking it down I remoisturize and seal and put it back in the bun.

Loverain

I have fallen in love with buns lately. I joined the bunning challenge so I keep my bun in for atleast a week. I love to wear my hair out, but I have yet to master my protien/ moisture balance. So when I wear it out I experience a little breakage. I hate it, so I think I want to start bunning longer maybe a 2 week stretch while co washing once a week. I wish I could just not touch my hair at all.

afjhnsn

Did you notice an improvement or did your hair's condition get worse?

Worse, sadly. LOL.. but not b/c of PSing!
I was natural (and clueless about healthy hair .. always wore extensions) prior to enlisting. Got my first relaxer a few months before I went and never had enough time to properly care for my hair during training (even if I HAD known what to do).
In boot we barely got time to wash our hair once a week -if that. And all they sold at the commissary when we were able to go was crap like pink lotion. I used a crapton of hair gel during that time, BUT somehow it still grew.

I began bc w/neck length hair.
Now I'm close to APL (I began learning and babying my hair around June 2010), but I still have shorter broken pieces from my being so neglected and mistreated for a while there, lol. But! My hair is very shiny and thick and sooo much healthier now :)
Sorry, I'm babbling .. I bun pretty often now (and rarely ever use gel .. when I do, I use clear ecostyler w/a good amt of castor oil underneath) .. get back to me in a couple of months and we'll see if I'm finally APL by then:lachen:

stelladata

Is this without taking it down at night?

Hmm, I guess I didn't think of that, since I just assumed you'd take it down at night and wear your scarf... at least that's what I do. So the next morning I just moisturize my ends and tie it back up hassle free. Sometimes I'd dap some gel on my edges.

NaturalBoss

Hmm, I guess I didn't think of that, since I just assumed you'd take it down at night and wear your scarf... at least that's what I do. So the next morning I just moisturize my ends and tie it back up hassle free. Sometimes I'd dap some gel on my edges.

If it still counts when I take it down and re-do it, I guess I bun forever. I always wear a bun.

For those who can wear the same bun (w/o taking down) for more than 3 days, do you have a youtube video for your buns? My buns always look jacked up by the next morning, so I have to wet my hair and re-do it. I'm curious to know how someone can make the same bun last for 2 weeks w/o re-doing it.

KurleeK5

when i don't take my bun down, is when i make a bun by either braiding or twisting the length of my hair and putting a clear elastic on the ends. i'll wrap that around itself then apply a black elastic and a scarf. I wear these buns on top of my head so when I sleep, they are undisturbed. If i wear a low bun, I use a different scarf that similar to a du-rag except it doesn't have the extra fabric in the back. I LOVE that scarf, but i would just let down the wrapped portion of the bun (not the braid or twist) then rewrap in the morning. HTH

Whimsy

The longest I willl wear a bun is a week. And i will untwirl it to moisturize each night.

LaFemmeNaturelle

Oh if that's the case then I've gone months. I voted by the amount of time that I've kept the bun in without taking it out.

LaFemmeNaturelle

If it still counts when I take it down and re-do it, I guess I bun forever. I always wear a bun.

For those who can wear the same bun (w/o taking down) for more than 3 days, do you have a youtube video for your buns? My buns always look jacked up by the next morning, so I have to wet my hair and re-do it. I'm curious to know how someone can make the same bun last for 2 weeks w/o re-doing it.

Do you mean the edges or the bun itself? I wear 2 scarfs and bonnet so my edges can normally stay good for 2-3 days. IF not, I spritz with water, put conditioner and wear a scarf to get it back flat. My bun normally doesn't frizz until the middle of the week, sometimes the end of the week. I make my bun by braiding or twisting it first and then wrapping the hair around.

stelladata

I plan on doing a video on how I wear my buns sometime soon but, I can't say specifically when as I'm waiting on a new camera and who knows when it's gonna get here :( since I just ordered it.

I kinda take my buns down at night though, so I don't keep the scrunchie and shoelace in because sleeping with a bun is really uncomfortable. But I make sure I put some coconut oil on my heads, wear my head scarf and fall asleep. I used to wear a durag over my headscarf because sometime it unravels but, now I can't find it (the durag) . And so far my head scarf hasn't moved much so I'm not panicking much.

Oh and another weird thing, I had a dream last night, that I washed my hair and stopped wearing buns and my edges suffered for it.. ahaha sooo weird!!. I just thought I'd share that.:spinning:

brucebettye

I wore a bun from Mar 2010 thru Dec 2010 under a phony ponytail. I was transitioning because I had a setback with my last texlax in Nov 2009. I wish I would have taken pictures because my hair has grown nicely even though I trimmed off alot of the texlaxed hair. I am going to take pictures this year because I am going to bun again for most of the year so that I can make it to bsl.

I do however, take down my bun every two to three days to moisturize and seal my ends with hair grease then put back up. Also I wash my hair every two weeks when I bun for long periods of time.

Last edited:

NaturalBoss

I plan on doing a video on how I wear my buns sometime soon but, I can't say specifically when as I'm waiting on a new camera and who knows when it's gonna get here :( since I just ordered it.

I kinda take my buns down at night though, so I don't keep the scrunchie and shoelace in because sleeping with a bun is really uncomfortable. But I make sure I put some coconut oil on my heads, wear my head scarf and fall asleep. I used to wear a durag over my headscarf because sometime it unravels but, now I can't find it (the durag) . And so far my head scarf hasn't moved much so I'm not panicking much.

Oh and another weird thing, I had a dream last night, that I washed my hair and stopped wearing buns and my edges suffered for it.. ahaha sooo weird!!. I just thought I'd share that.:spinning:

LOL about your dream! Anyways, I'm subscribed to your channel so I will be looking for some new videos :grin:
So at night when you wear your scarf, is your hair down or is it braided, or what? Thx

PinkAngel

When I first started my HHJ I wore a bun for a 1 1/2 year(s), of course I took it down daily to moisturize.