What Kind Of Voodoo Is In Wetline Gel?

YvetteWithJoy

On break
This thread brought me out of lurking. LOL! It also influenced me into buying the Xtreme Wetline Gel even though I only put certain ingredients in my hair. Pretty powerful thread! LOL! One product I've definitely struggled with is GEL: It has been a challenge to find the right one for my hair.

I liked Xtreme Wetline Gel a lot! Pretty impressive! However, because of its ingredients, I decided to take a few weeks and just test different pairings of leave-in and gel.

So far Oyin Hair Dew + Shea Moisture's High Porosity gel is the winner. With this pairing, my hair is light, hydrated, moisturized, defined, elongated, and multi-day. I got SIMILAR results with pairing Oyin Hair Dew with Xtreme Wetline Gel, but my definition was less at the roots. By day two I had more frizz at the roots with Xtreme Wetline Gel as compared with the Shea Moisture High Porosity gel.

The awesome thing is that I got NO FLAKING with either pairing.

For some reason, my hair stylist got RIDICULOUSLY gorgeous results using Uncle Funky's Daughter's Curl Stimulator alone. I'm talking RIDICULOUS elongation, SHOCKING moisture, etc. I got compliments wherever I went on day 1 and day 2 and day 3, and I don't get a lot of compliments on my hair. I can't seem to replicate the results. The ONLY thing she did before gel-ing my hair is condition me with DevaCurl Decadence One Condition.

So now I have a lot of gel! Next wash day I will try my new Camille Rose Naturals Curl Maker. After that, I think I'm going to let the search for a Holy Grail gel product+technique go and just work with what I've got.

Great thread!

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
This thread brought me out of lurking. LOL! It also influenced me into buying the Xtreme Wetline Gel even though I only put certain ingredients in my hair. Pretty powerful thread! LOL! One product I've definitely struggled with is GEL: It has been a challenge to find the right one for my hair.

I liked Xtreme Wetline Gel a lot! Pretty impressive! However, because of its ingredients, I decided to take a few weeks and just test different pairings of leave-in and gel.

So far Oyin Hair Dew + Shea Moisture's High Porosity gel is the winner. With this pairing, my hair is light, hydrated, moisturized, defined, elongated, and multi-day. I got SIMILAR results with pairing Oyin Hair Dew with Xtreme Wetline Gel, but my definition was less at the roots. By day two I had more frizz at the roots with Xtreme Wetline Gel as compared with the Shea Moisture High Porosity gel.

For some reason, my hair stylist got RIDICULOUSLY gorgeous results using Uncle Funky's Daughter's Curl Stimulator alone. I'm talking RIDICULOUS elongation, SHOCKING moisture, etc. I got compliments wherever I went on day 1 and day 2 and day 3, and I don't get a lot of compliments on my hair. I can't seem to replicate the results. The ONLY thing she did before gel-ing my hair is condition me with DevaCurl Decadence One Condition.

So now I have a lot of gel! Next wash day I will try my new Camille Rose Naturals Curl Maker. After that, I think I'm going to let the search for a Holy Grail gel product+technique go and just work with what I've got.

Great thread!
This gel is pretty great but I love curl maker

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
View attachment 368151 View attachment 368153View attachment 368155 View attachment 368157

No matter how long my hair is, it always draws up to my shoulders. Without the gel, it would draw up to my ears. There was a bit of a crunch. I had some cheap conditioner in my hair from two days ago, then I rewet the hair with water, applied S-curl and the gel. I literally made each section of curls by sectioning hair and twisting in my hands. My hair looks better to me with larger, divided sections.

I prefer pony tails and buns!
@Chicoro your hair is:drool:

scarcity21

I could never do a wash and go because by the end of the day my hair was shrunken, hard, and I had flakes galore. I was always against gel down the length of hair until you ladies started this thread. I am so happy I came in and tried this. I still have a lot of shrinkage, but not as much as usual and I can do wash and go's now. This wash and go is completely dry.
@missdh12 ur eyebrows are fleeky!!!

BlackMasterPiece

Great thread!
You just convinced me to pick up the high porosity gel I was eyeing skeptically:lol: what do you use for cleanse/condition/DC steps prior to the gels? Have you been able to replicate her results with uncle funkys daughter?

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
PICTURE HEAVY POST!

The Voodoo spell has broken...well almost....

This morning my hair was ugh...

My hair draws up and gets puffy. So wash and go's, braid and twist outs tangle my hair like nothing else. I lose WHOLE CURLS. Now, add to the fact that it didn't even hang, looked all dry and dusty. Sigh...

But I kept looking at all your beautiful results posted in this thread. I said to myself, "Even if I can't BE a unicorn, I can at least RUN with the herd." (A gathering of 2 or more unicorns is a herd right?)

So, I said, let me try again. I re-activated the gel. Then I sectioned my hair into two. Then I wrapped a knee hi-nylon tight around the first section, as if I were doing wrapping with string, from root to tip. Then I crossed it over my head to elongate it. Then I repeated it on the other side. I got a little bit more hang time!

Xtreme, still got me under the spell!

1. This is how long my hair is, and why braid outs/wash n go's/twist outs are a problem. My hair shrinks up and tangles, causing breakage and loss of length. I tried to do comparison photos.

Voodoo 2 1.JPG Voodoo 2 2.JPGVoodoo 2 3.JPG

2. Then, that wrapping with nylon and pulling the sections tightly across my head worked! More length and shine.
Voodoo 2 4.JPG Voodoo 2 5.JPG

3. Here's the side view. It looks a lot better to me. All I did was rewet and apply more gel. I didn't start completely over.

Voodoo 2 6.JPG voodoo 2 7.JPG

4. The joy of success, the thrill of victory or perhaps just the voodoo!
Voodoo 2 8.JPG

Okay. I'm done with the experiments. It's back to buns and ponytails for me. These kinds of styles are pretty but I realize and am reminded again that I will have to save them for "hair treats" and special occasions, just like I do for heat straightened styles.

Thank you, ladies, for the inspiration! Carry on.

Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
You just convinced me to pick up the high porosity gel I was eyeing skeptically:lol: what do you use for cleanse/condition/DC steps prior to the gels? Have you been able to replicate her results with uncle funkys daughter?

ABOUT THAT SM HIPO GEL:
Oops! :supergrin: Ha!

I have always side-eyed that SM Hipo gel, despite owning it. It's the consistency of it. It's very weird-feeling and weird-looking, IMO. I gave my initial container of it away to my old hair stylist, who started using it on me because she liked the way the SM Hipo masque does my hair. I relied on KCKT paired with KCCC at home, and my old stylist would use the SM Hipo gel to do finger coils/curls at the salon. I didn't like the style, but it was healthy and the gel held up for days with no flakes.

At home, the KCKT has a lot of slip but didn't give me lots of moisture after drying, if that makes any sense. And the KCCC would just DISAPPEAR into my hair in a really weird way: As in, my hair would be feeling pretty slippery with the KCKT layer, and then once I added the KCCC . . . that stuff would disappear into my hair somehow and leave it feeling a little shrunken and dryer and a little . . . rough almost.

I wonder if ANYONE else has had this experience.

I tried pairing the KCCC with Giovanni Direct leave-in underneath. Sometimes I would get flakes. The Giovanni would give my hair some elasticity, but it seemed to sit on top of my hair a bit. I've kept it because of the price tag and slip.

RE: MY ATTEMPTS TO REPLICATE NEW, AWESOME STYLIST'S RESULTS WITH UFD's CURL STIMULATOR:
No. :cry3:I very sadly have NOT been able to replicate her results, and BOY have I tried!

My new stylist is Angela Hicks (every 5-star review at Curly Nikki is BEYOND well-earned and well-deserved). I knew she loved DevaCurl products before I signed up with her. In prep for my DevaCut and first appointment with her, I purchased the DevaCurl Decadence box from Ulta and used it for 2 weeks. I only liked the No Poo and conditioner. Immediately stopped using the other 2 products in the box.

The night before and morning of my appointment with Angela, I did my LONGER WASH DAY routine:
1. Overnight pre-poo with 1:1:1 mixture of raw, undefined coconut oil and light extra virgin olive oil and castor oil

Then in the morning:
2. Detoxify with Naturalicious clay wash
3. Deep condition with SM Hipo Masque (apply in four sections using praying hands method . . . let steam in shower for about 7 minutes)
4. Wash only scalp with DevaCurl Decadence No Poo
5. Condition with DevaCurl Decadence One Condition
6. Apply KCKT leave-in in four sections using praying hands method
7. Attempt to close cuticles with a 1:1 spritz of cold distilled water and Aloe Vera juice, and
8. Apply KCCC in hair in 11 sections, using praying hands and raking method

When I got to the salon, Angela . . .
1. said my hair was fine and that my routine sounded great to her,
2. gave me the DevaCut,
3. conditioned me again with DevaCurl Decadence One Condition (she skipped the shampoo since I'd done all the cleansing and detoxifying that morning at home),
4. shingled in the Uncle Funky's Daughter's Curl Stimulator (she said she used it because of my desire for elongation),
5. put me under this dryer she swears by, and
6. fluffed my hair.

That's it. Friends, strangers, and even family (who miss my relaxed hair look) looooooved it. I got so many compliments. Just about couldn't step out of the house without getting into a hair conversation!!!

On day four (because day 3 was STILL gorgeous!), I tried Angela's steps. When I finished, my hair was not NEARLY as moisturized and elongated and gorgeous. I called her up!!! I said: "Did you put anything ELSE in my hair besides the UFD's Curl Stimulator?" She said, "Nope."

:confused:

I'm going to go to her again and see if she gets the same results. On my first visit she told me I could bring ANY product in I wanted, and she would trial it on my hair for me. I am so excited about that. I'm going to have her try the Xtreme Wetline on one side and the SM Hipo on another side one of these visits. But first, I wanna see if she is able to replicate those UFD results. I'm going to be taking VERY close notes!!!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
PICTURE HEAVY POST!

The Voodoo spell has broken...well almost....

This morning my hair was ugh...

My hair draws up and gets puffy. So wash and go's, braid and twist outs tangle my hair like nothing else. I lose WHOLE CURLS. Now, add to the fact that it didn't even hang, looked all dry and dusty. Sigh...

But I kept looking at all your beautiful results posted in this thread. I said to myself, "Even if I can't BE a unicorn, I can at least RUN with the herd." (A gathering of 2 or more unicorns is a herd right?)

So, I said, let me try again. I re-activated the gel. Then I sectioned my hair into two. Then I wrapped a knee hi-nylon tight around the first section, as if I were doing wrapping with string, from root to tip. Then I crossed it over my head to elongate it. Then I repeated it on the other side. I got a little bit more hang time!

Xtreme, still got me under the spell!

1. This is how long my hair is, and why braid outs/wash n go's/twist outs are a problem. My hair shrinks up and tangles, causing breakage and loss of length. I tried to do comparison photos.

View attachment 368187 View attachment 368189View attachment 368191

2. Then, that wrapping with nylon and pulling the sections tightly across my head worked! More length and shine.
View attachment 368193 View attachment 368195

3. Here's the side view. It looks a lot better to me. All I did was rewet and apply more gel. I didn't start completely over.

View attachment 368197 View attachment 368199

4. The joy of success, the thrill of victory or perhaps just the voodoo!
View attachment 368201

Okay. I'm done with the experiments. It's back to buns and ponytails for me. These kinds of styles are pretty but I realize and am reminded again that I will have to save them for "hair treats" and special occasions, just like I do for heat straightened styles.

Thank you, ladies, for the inspiration! Carry on.

Lovely!!!

Do you feel the wash-and-go is not protective (enough)? And, how do you wear your pony tails? My hair is shoulder-length when stretched but too short for a pony tail when shrunken in its natural state. I don't like twisting and braiding, so I've been trying to make the wash-and-go work. Maybe I need to see if I can find some kind of protective style.

Chicoro

Lovely!!!

Do you feel the wash-and-go is not protective (enough)? And, how do you wear your pony tails? My hair is shoulder-length when stretched but too short for a pony tail when shrunken in its natural state. I don't like twisting and braiding, so I've been trying to make the wash-and-go work. Maybe I need to see if I can find some kind of protective style.

The wash-and-go tangles my hair. The best protective style for my hair is a ponytail using a baggie! I sent you a pm about how I wear my ponytails!

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
I couldn't find it anywhere in my city :wallbash:. I had to order it off amazon. I bought the one in the squeeze bottle which I like better than digging in a jar.

I'm currently in twist extensions for the summer. I have not been able to have a successful wash n go ever! I tried MHM but none of those botanical gels worked to define my curls. I've tried ecostyler gel and it slightly define my curls but left me with crunchy hair.

So I removed one of my twist in the front of my hair and applied water, Oyin hair dew, and wetline gel. The front of my hair never curls but this time it kind of curled but my roots were still puffy. So I added a little of ecostyler on top then BAM! I have curl definition! I let it air dry and my curls were still there. Usually it turns into an afro once it air dries. It had a firm hold but not crunchy. I'm pretty sure I will have to mix the wetline with ecostyler gel for it to work on my hair. I have hi po hair and nothing can prevent poofy hair except this combo. I will try it on my whole head once I remove my twist.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 196

Chicoro

I couldn't find it anywhere in my city :wallbash:. I had to order it off amazon. I bought the one in the squeeze bottle which I like better than digging in a jar.

I'm currently in twist extensions for the summer. I have not been able to have a successful wash n go ever! I tried MHM but none of those botanical gels worked to define my curls. I've tried ecostyler gel and it slightly define my curls but left me with crunchy hair.

So I removed one of my twist in the front of my hair and applied water, Oyin hair dew, and wetline gel. The front of my hair never curls but this time it kind of curled but my roots were still puffy. So I added a little of ecostyler on top then BAM! I have curl definition! I let it air dry and my curls were still there. Usually it turns into an afro once it air dries. It had a firm hold but not crunchy. I'm pretty sure I will have to mix the wetline with ecostyler gel for it to work on my hair. I have hi po hair and nothing can prevent poofy hair except this combo. I will try it on my whole head once I remove my twist.

@tashboog,
Very delicate, fine pretty curls! Congratulations on finding a possible combination that works for your hair!

BlackMasterPiece

Thanks so much for sharing! Its soooo challenging getting HiPo hair defined and clumped I bought oyin hair dew today and I'm gonna see how it acts with the wetline, if it isn't defined enough I'll try layering eco on top! :grin:

ABOUT THAT SM HIPO GEL:
Oops! :supergrin: Ha!

I have always side-eyed that SM Hipo gel, despite owning it. It's the consistency of it. It's very weird-feeling and weird-looking, IMO. I gave my initial container of it away to my old hair stylist, who started using it on me because she liked the way the SM Hipo masque does my hair. I relied on KCKT paired with KCCC at home, and my old stylist would use the SM Hipo gel to do finger coils/curls at the salon. I didn't like the style, but it was healthy and the gel held up for days with no flakes.

At home, the KCKT has a lot of slip but didn't give me lots of moisture after drying, if that makes any sense. And the KCCC would just DISAPPEAR into my hair in a really weird way: As in, my hair would be feeling pretty slippery with the KCKT layer, and then once I added the KCCC . . . that stuff would disappear into my hair somehow and leave it feeling a little shrunken and dryer and a little . . . rough almost.

I tried pairing the KCCC with Giovanni Direct leave-in underneath. Sometimes I would get flakes. The Giovanni would give my hair some elasticity, but it seemed to sit on top of my hair a bit. I've kept it because of the price tag and slip.

RE: MY ATTEMPTS TO REPLICATE NEW, AWESOME STYLIST'S RESULTS WITH UFD's CURL STIMULATOR:
No. :cry3:I very sadly have NOT been able to replicate her results, and BOY have I tried!

My new stylist is Angela Hicks (every 5-star review at Curly Nikki is BEYOND well-earned and well-deserved). I knew she loved DevaCurl products before I signed up with her. In prep for my DevaCut and first appointment with her, I purchased the DevaCurl Decadence box from Ulta and used it for 2 weeks. I only liked the No Poo and conditioner. Immediately stopped using the other 2 products in the box.

The night before and morning of my appointment with Angela, I did my LONGER WASH DAY routine:
1. Overnight pre-poo with 1:1:1 mixture of raw, undefined coconut oil and light extra virgin olive oil and castor oil

Then in the morning:
2. Detoxify with Naturalicious clay wash
3. Deep condition with SM Hipo Masque (apply in four sections using praying hands method . . . let steam in shower for about 7 minutes)
4. Wash only scalp with DevaCurl Decadence No Poo
5. Condition with DevaCurl Decadence One Condition
6. Apply KCKT leave-in in four sections using praying hands method
7. Attempt to close cuticles with a 1:1 spritz of cold distilled water and Aloe Vera juice, and
8. Apply KCCC in hair in 11 sections, using praying hands and raking method

When I got to the salon, Angela . . .
1. said my hair was fine and that my routine sounded great to her,
2. gave me the DevaCut,
3. conditioned me again with DevaCurl Decadence One Condition (she skipped the shampoo since I'd done all the cleansing and detoxifying that morning at home),
4. shingled in the Uncle Funky's Daughter's Curl Stimulator (she said she used it because of my desire for elongation),
5. put me under this dryer she swears by, and
6. fluffed my hair.

That's it. Friends, strangers, and even family (who miss my relaxed hair look) looooooved it. I got so many compliments. Just about couldn't step out of the house without getting into a hair conversation!!!

On day four (because day 3 was STILL gorgeous!), I tried Angela's steps. When I finished, my hair was not NEARLY as moisturized and elongated and gorgeous. I called her up!!! I said: "Did you put anything ELSE in my hair besides the UFD's Curl Stimulator?" She said, "Nope."

:confused:

I'm going to go to her again and see if she gets the same results. On my first visit she told me I could bring ANY product in I wanted, and she would trial it on my hair for me. I am so excited about that. I'm going to have her try the Xtreme Wetline on one side and the SM Hipo on another side one of these visits. But first, I wanna see if she is able to replicate those UFD results. I'm going to be taking VERY close notes!!!
Thanks alot, I'm gonna give your overnight prepoo a shot, do you apply the oils on dry damp or wet hair?

Last edited:

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
Thanks so much for sharing! Its soooo challenging getting HiPo hair defined and clumped I bought oyin hair dew today and I'm gonna see how it acts with the wetline, if it isn't defined enough I'll try layering eco on top! :grin:
@BlackMasterPiece You're welcome :grin:. Hi po hair can sometimes have a mind of its own :laugh:. My wash n gos usually turn into a fro but I'm hopeful the wetline and ecostyler combo will help me have my first successful wash n go :yep:. Btw I forgot to mention that pic was after my hair was fully dry. I have never and I mean never had curls after it air dried :giggle:.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly

Me. Today. Pissed. No words.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
:sneakyhug: @Saludable84!

I am SO glad I'm not alone with this. Sometimes the KCKT + KCCC performs wonderfully for me, then on other days, the KCCC just acts WEIRD.

What are the characteristics of your hair?

I have 4a, naturally highly porous, fine strands of hair with a VERY high density per square inch of scalp.

So, when I first started using both in the spring, it was great. Soft, shiny, nice hair. Then all of a sudden, it just got dull and depressing looking. Idk what happened.

I used the KCCC alone on wet hair and it was gel like. I didn't like it. But when I used it on towel dried (microfiber for <10 minutes) hair on top of KCKT, it did not act like gel, just like custard. Soft hair, but after a few weeks of use, dull hair.

When I recently used the KCKT on wet hair then topped with Curl Maker, my hair is soft, but a hot and dry looking mess that looks rough to touch. It's not rough, but looks rough.

My hair is natural low porosity 4a, high density hair. Probably not very high, but average high. I have a lot of hair :curtain:

SheWalks

Been doing some experimenting and I finally got a good picture to contribute. I've been using oyin + wetline and this is my first actual "wash & go". I did it in the morning then left to go to the hair show, took 40ish minutes to rake the gel through all my sections. I dried it a bit under my hooded dryer (15 minutes mostly to stop my hair from dripping). It was very white in the morning around 9am but this is how it looked around 2pm. I used oyin hair dew underneath. I never do wash & go's so I'm pretty proud of this one. It was still wet when I came home around 10 and nyc was HOT on Saturday. washngo.jpg

SmilingElephant

You could EASILY be my cousin! Lol! :love:
View attachment 368151 View attachment 368153View attachment 368155 View attachment 368157

No matter how long my hair is, it always draws up to my shoulders. Without the gel, it would draw up to my ears. There was a bit of a crunch. I had some cheap conditioner in my hair from two days ago, then I rewet the hair with water, applied S-curl and the gel. I literally made each section of curls by sectioning hair and twisting in my hands. My hair looks better to me with larger, divided sections.

I prefer pony tails and buns!

KinkyRN

I too bought the squeeze bottle. I swear by the SM Lo Po leave in. After washing and DCing I used the leave in and gel. My hair was instantly defined, shiny and soft!! Think I will get a couple more of these just in case!!

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
I too bought the squeeze bottle. I swear by the SM Lo Po leave in. After washing and DCing I used the leave in and gel. My hair was instantly defined, shiny and soft!! Think I will get a couple more of these just in case!!
my precious!! I LOVE the SM LO PO leave in. Instant love. I can use it ALONE and have soft supple hair after drying. NO sealing!

BlackMasterPiece

Welp, my second attempt with the wetline was a fail, my 4b HiPo coarse hair has never met a gel it didn't laugh at, not wetline, not eco, not the SM High Porosity, nothing has given me the coil definition I've seen in other type 4s online:sad: I even finally tried the bentonite + acv clay mask and no dice. My last ditch effort will be with MHM, *sighs*.

On a good note when all those gels failed me I finally tried african threading to stretch my hair and its looking like that was a success lol.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Welp, my second attempt with the wetline was a fail, my 4b HiPo coarse hair has never met a gel it didn't laugh at, not wetline, not eco, not the SM High Porosity, nothing has given me the coil definition I've seen in other type 4s online:sad: I even finally tried the bentonite + acv clay mask and no dice. My last ditch effort will be with MHM, *sighs*.

On a good note when all those gels failed me I finally tried african threading to stretch my hair and its looking like that was a success lol.

Aw! Glad for that silver lining, though.

I'm hipo but 4a with a little bit of 3c. My hair used to show little definition at the roots. But if I prepoo with a penatrating oil, treat with Naturalicious's clay treatment, use DevaCurl Decadence No Poo and Conditioner, then close my hair cuticles with a 1:1 mix of cold distilled water and aloe Vera juice . . . after a few weeks my hair is tooooooo defined. It's so coily that I had to stop using the DevaCurl Decadence. It was like max, Max, MAX definition. NOTE: Most recommend a much more diluted AVJ spritz.

Have you ever used DevaCurl Decadence? I'm not encouraging its purchase, just wondering. Products act so differently on each head that I try to avoid suggestions and instead share my experiences/results.