What Makes A Salon Experience Wonderful

Discussion in 'Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion' started by ShortyDooWhop, Feb 9, 2019.

1. ShortyDooWhop

ShortyDooWhop Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I normally do my hair at home, but went to a hair salon recently after a long time and was left wondering what a phenomenal salon experience is like? So, ladies who have experienced salon nirvana, can you share what that experience was like.

2. ShortyDooWhop

Blog Posts:
    Wow, not a single response?!?!

3. Lylddlebit

Lylddlebit Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    Lol I used to have a wonderful stylist although I moved from him(to another state) and do my own hair now. . My appointment would always start on time(I don't care if you are celebrity stylist if your customer service sucks it ruins the experience). I would see a fly hairstyle in a magazine(think them old motions ads). I would take the picture to my stylist and say "I want this"! He would tell me what I would have to do to get it. Sometimes he would be like "you know that means I have to give you layers" to make sure I understood if a cut or something I wasn't used to was necessary then we would proceed. The scalp massage during wash was awesome. We just chatted as the stylist gently did my hair then when he turned me to face the mirror : VOILA! I got exactly what I asked for. No surprises or disappointments. No major anxiety throughout appointment because I knew he was a person of his word and was always awesome. This salon owner did stuff like open the salon at 5 am or 6 am on my birthday so I could leave the salon right to school/work. He was awesome.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  4. GGsKin

GGsKin Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    I haven't gone to a salon to get my hair done in years. The last phenominal salon visit I had was probably in my late teens/ early 20s. I worked with a girl whose cropped hair always looked fantastic. She put me on to her place and it soon became my place.

I used to frequent this salon every 6 weeks or so. It had a great vibe and knowledgeable, gentle and reliable stylists. I had a particular stylist (still miss you Dean:cry3:) but most- if not every- stylist in there was fantastic. Everyone had their lane, whether it was colour, short-dos, added hair, silk press... just greatness. It was the first time I fully trusted a stylist, and left not having to fix my hair to suit me better. I used to be greated with a smile, offered refreshments, and I didn't have to wait for an eternity to be seen, even though I arrived on time.

5. discodumpling

discodumpling Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    A knowledgeable, caring, and considerate hair care professional makes for an excellent salon experience. I haven't had that since I rocked a Toni Braxton-esque hairstyle that was dependent on relaxer and a tranny stylist name Crystal.
    Crystal introduced me to Aphogee and good simple hair care. She was the 1st person to tell me that well conditioned hair doesn't need grease.

6. sunnieb

sunnieb Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    ETA: I read the OP wrong. I've listed my salon wishlist below. Never experienced salon nirvana. Never. :(

Hmmm,

Start my appointment on time

Don't eat while you're doing my hair. Schedule time for your lunch.

Don't cut my hair into a style. I don't care about trendy styles. Just trim my ends exactly like I ask.

Don't work on 4 heads at once. All of us end up being stuck in there with you 2 hours longer than needed.

Offer me a bottled water or something. I tip well. Can I get some 'free' water?

I want the salon to look and smell like a hair spa experience. No black and white decor please.

If I found a salon like this, I'd go in for a dc and rollerset to experience all of that.

7. ShortyDooWhop

Blog Posts:
    Is the expectation that your stylist does everything, soup to nuts, wash, condition, treatment, style, or is it ok if someone else washes and does everything short of the style?

8. mzteaze

mzteaze Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    The best salon experiences go back a lot of years for me.

My best / favorite stylist worked in a salon that never overbooked her and she had a dedicated assistant.

You actually got full service treatment from start to finish in about 2 hours or less. The shop was always clean, never over crowded. My stylist took great care of my hair even thru the "Rough" treatment of those styles of the time. I had color, a perm, crimp and healthy hair.

9. sunnieb

sunnieb Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I liked the shampoo girls at my old salon. I'm fine with that service.

prettyinpurple likes this.