What makes blowouts so bad?

Mdmommy99

I used to get Dominican blowouts about 4 times a year before LHCF which is the number of times a year that I typically straighten my natural hair. After I joined I saw that they got a pretty bad rap so I haven't gotten one all year and the times that I have straightened I've roller set or blow dried and flat ironed it myself resulting in a HAM that went into a ponytail or bun immediately.

Today I gave in and went to the Dominican salon. She rollerset and blew out my hair and I love it :grin: But what I'm wondering is, if I'm only straightening a few times a year, is the blowdryer heat really that much worse than the heat from me blowdrying and then flat ironing? Every time I'm in there the other clients have the most gorgeous BSL and longer hair that I've seen outside of LHCF and it just makes me wonder if the damage is so severe then why do those women seem to not be suffering.

Has anyone been able to get blowouts on occasion and not damage their hair? I am thinking that I would rather do this when I straighten so that I don't waste time putting heat on my hair just to have it look bad in the end.

PPGbubbles

Are these other clients black or dominican?

I think they get a bad rap because of the manipulation (round brush) and the many source of heat. Often I see ladies roller set under a dryer, blow dry with a round brush and sometimes flat iron.

This is too much for SOME afro textured hair.

You can achive the swang of a dominican blow out using less heat and proper flat ironing techniques

Ashleescheveux

I just got a dominican blowout today and my hair was abused! It turned out nicely but I know my hair is crying because the stylist was harsh with my hair. I think it also depends on how gentle your stylist is

Ashleescheveux

They can be both though
Are these other clients black or dominican?

I think they get a bad rap because of the manipulation (round brush) and the many source of heat. Often I see ladies roller set under a dryer, blow dry with a round brush and sometimes flat iron.

This is too much for SOME afro textured hair.

You can achive the swang of a dominican blow out using less heat and proper flat ironing techniques

Tiye

I used to get Dominican blowouts about 4 times a year before LHCF which is the number of times a year that I typically straighten my natural hair. After I joined I saw that they got a pretty bad rap so I haven't gotten one all year and the times that I have straightened I've roller set or blow dried and flat ironed it myself resulting in a HAM that went into a ponytail or bun immediately.

Bad rap is subjective. Maybe you go to a good salon with skilled stylists and they went to bad salons and had their hair done by stylists who didn't know what they were doing. Also what's bad for me might not be bad for you or vice versa. So I would just do what works for me. If your hair thrives under the Dominican system then you don't need to stop.

lilsparkle825

You and I are in the majority that doesn't think DBs are the devil. I discovered them after a weave left me nearly bad from neglect; they also helped me get through the first 10 months of my 12 month transition. I was afraid when I first went natural to go back because of all the warnings...then one day I realized they can't be as bad as people make them out to be -- at least for my hair, anyway. I only go about 4 times a year now, just like you, and I have a stylist I trust (well, for the most part....she's not allowed to trim my hair anymore). In fact, it was a Dominican stylist who first let me know that if I wanted to go natural, I didn't have to hack all my hair off....she also taught me about semi-perm color as opposed to the permanents I had been using that were making my hair dry and brittle. As for now, I know that I must DC well before I go, take my Lacio Lacio and a good heat protectant, and not use the flat iron I DO own to touch up my edges during the week. It is widely purported that Dominican conditioners have inherent heat protectant properties, and I believe this. Basically, I believe that everything is fine in moderation, even DBs. Just find a GOOD stylist and you will be fine.

arosieworld

Thanks 4 our nail *****!
I love DB's but my hair loves heat, it thick and coarse and resilient. Heat helps me deal with single strand knots. Flat irons hurt my hair more.

ConstantlyDynamic

i love them! haha but i think that i had good stylists. i mean i've only been to about 3 or 4 and everyone there did my hair well (i don't have a specific stylist- i go to anyone who is free) but i can understand why people don't like them. the heat used to hurt my scalp sooo badly. i would be cringing in my chair. but my hair came out great and i never had issues with my hair thinning out

PPGbubbles

They can be both though

I am aware that both black and dominican go to the shops. I should have worded that differently. What I was getting at was whether or not the clients the OP was referring too with gorgeous BSL hair were the "black Clients" or "dominicans". Did the women she saw have afro textured hair or not.

lilsparkle825

I am aware that both black and dominican go to the shops. I should have worded that differently. What I was getting at was whether or not the clients the OP was referring too with gorgeous BSL hair were the "black Clients" or "dominicans". Did the women she saw have afro textured hair or not.
As long as you know Dominicans can be black and/or have afro textured hair. Race and nationality are two very, very different things. My SO is Dominican but he checks the "black" box all day, every day.

Mdmommy99

The women I saw there were African American. They had Afro textured hair. But so do all the Dominican women working in the salon.

I go to two different stylists there and I think they are both really good. I don't get the smoke smell for days that I've heard people complain about. I have fine strands which is what worried me when it came to the heat, but I never noticed damage when I went before. But I guess what I really wonder is why is blow drying and then flat ironing so much better anyway?

I see how the brush could be a lot of manipulation but If I'm putting direct heat on my hair with the blow dryer and then direct heat with the flat iron as opposed to I guess indirect heat with the rollerset at the salon and then direct heat with the blowdryer- it seems like the potential heat damage would be the same? I am just wondering what makes one better than the other.

I think that for now I will keep going my 3-4 times per yer and just keep an eye out for dryness, damage etc.